Problem dislaying 1080p on dual monitors

naminator

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I recently purchased 2x dell 24" monitors in hope of using it as a dual extended display. The extended display works great, however I can only use 1920x1080 on 1 screen and my second screen only supports 1600x1200.

Is this a limitation on my video card?

I am currently using Geforce 8500GT connect DVI to my primary monitory (1920x1080) and VGA to my secondary (1600x1200). I've updated to the latest driver for the video card and still hasn't fix the problem. Another problem is see is for the display one is labeled as Dell S2409W(Digital) and the other Generic Non-PnP Monitor

Demetrio

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
I'm having this exact same problem.

I have two 25" I-Inc iF251H monitors and I'm using a Radeon HD 4650 1GB graphics card with support for dual monitors. The primary monitor is connected via HDMI and the extended monitor is connected via VGA.

Unfortunately, there are no drivers for my monitors so I have to use Vista's default. The primary is labeled "Generic PnP Monitor" and the extended is labeled "Generic Non-PnP Monitor."

In the Catalyst Control Center the primary monitor is labeled "Hanns.G iF251H" and the extended monitor is labeled "Default VGA monitor."

I've tried deleting the "Generic Non-PnP Monitor" driver but when I reconnect the monitor the same driver shows up. Also, I've tried swapping out the monitor for another identical one in my office and I get the same result.

I went to ATI/AMD's website and did not find any help there.

Here's hoping the great community at Tom's has the answer.

gebbz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
It may by that VGA does not have the resolution you get with an HDMI cable.

Also, on my monitor one of the options is the adjust ratio. It can be either at fit or full. When it is at fit it only uses the whole screen at its native resolution (1920x1080) and any other resolution does not fill the whole screen. Using the full option every resolution works fine.

one last thing. in the graphics card controller there is an option for HD, SD resolution and a PC resolution settings. I have to have it set to PC settings because the HD, SD settings give a terrible image.

naminator

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Ahhh fixed it after messing around with it a bit more.

In the windows screen resolution properties double click on monitor #2. There is a button towards the bottom for "List all Modes" from there you can choose any resolution and color modes. This is for windows 7 btw.

Demetrio

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Thanks for the tip, Gebbz and glad you found a solution Naminator. I did not have your luck.

I believe my problem has to do with the graphics card.

My VGA works at 1920 x 1080 if it is the only cable connected to the video card at start up. In fact, it's listed as "Generic pnp monitor" under the device manager. However, once I connect the other monitor to the HDMI port the driver changes to "Generic NON-pnp monitor" and I lose full 1920x1080. I can get 1400 x 1050 or 1600 x 1200 but since both those are not my screenss native resolution they don't look very sharp.

Another odd thing is if I have the VGA and HDMI connected simultaneously my computer won't detect the monitor on the HDMI cable. I know Vista recognizes it because I hear a "ding" whenever I disconnect the cable. However, it does not show up in the Display Settings or ATI's Catalyst Control Center.

And if I connect only the VGA and then later connect the HDMI I have the same problem. The HDMI monitor is not detected.

However, if I connect the HDMI monitor first and then add the VGA monitor second then I am able to add the 2nd monitor and an extended display. I can get 1920 x 1080 on the HDMI but not on the VGA. Also, the HDMI monitor is listed as "Generic pnp monitor."

Also, I experience screen shrinkage. While I'm getting 1080 on the HDMI the screen has shrunk so that it does not extend to the edge of the monitor. I have about an inch to half an inch of empty black space.

gebbz

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I also have the I-INC 25" monitor (perrty). I would bet a box of doughnuts that the problem with the screen not extending is the fit/full option in the image settings section of your monitor display options (the buttons on the side of the monitor).

You may need to get those drivers. My monitors both came with disks with drivers and are both recognized as what they are. Look around for your drivers.

As to why your monitors are not being recognized...I don't know. Maybe it has something to do with the Analog VGA and a Digital HGMI...but I am talking out of my rear again.