Linksys router cuts off laptop after 1 hour with at&t phone service

kennethf

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
My son has a linksys router, At&T phone service (DSL). The main desk top XP computer is hooked up to the Router.
His wifes laptop XP when she goes on line wirelessly cuts off after one hour.
Not sure what to do?
He had a different router that got burned out from a lightening strike and replaced it with the linklys. The old one didn't cut out. Is there a setting that can be changed?
Thanks,
Ken

Solution
What kind of connection is this? I'm thinking that maybe you have to set it to automatically redial, because it automatically cuts off after an hour. Does your son have the same problem with his computer?

r_manic

Administrator
What kind of connection is this? I'm thinking that maybe you have to set it to automatically redial, because it automatically cuts off after an hour. Does your son have the same problem with his computer?

Solution

kennethf

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Thanks for the reply. I emailed my son for the answer to you question and will let you know. I am sure that the main computer connection doesn't cut out as he said she wired direct and had no problem but I will let you know.
Thanks,
ken

kennethf

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010

Thank you for the reply,
When his wife plugs the lap top directly into the router it does not time out. He also has his TIVO pluged into the Router and that does not time out.
The main desk top doesn't time out either.
The router has 4 ethernet connections and two are used with the laptop and TIVO.
It is only when using the laptop wirelesly that it times out.
Thanks,
Ken

kennethf

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
My son doesn't use his lap top at home, just at work. We have no reference if another laptop would experience the same problem. But this is a good thought.
The connection is DSL through AT&T.
When he had the Netgear router he didn't have a problem.
Ken