Sign in with
Your question

No increase in performance from 100mhz OC

Last response: in Overclocking
April 29, 2012 9:10:48 PM

Hey Guys,

I just oc'ed my SLI EVGA 570 GTX HD from 732mhz @ 1.013v to 825mhz @ 1.063v. However, I see no increase in performance in any benchmarks and actually a decrease in performance in certain benches.

My temps (with the OC) are maxing out at 72/68 C on the 2 cards.

For example, without the OC, Metro 2033 with Very High settings in 1080 gives me 53 Average FPS, and I only get 50 Average fps with the OC.

I have not touched the Memory clock, and MSI afterburner does not give me the option for increasing Shader Clock for some reason.

Also, I think the card is actually OCing as temps rise slightly, and I can see the increased clock speed and voltage on the in game MSI display.

I am running a 2600k @ 4.5 ghz with 1.365 vcore. I am sure that my CPU OC is stable. I have 16 gb of Vengence ram @ 1600, on an ASUS p8z68 Deluxe.

Any Ideas?

May 4, 2012 3:48:19 AM

Shader clock is the same as core clock and they are locked, so changing core changes shader.

100 MHz may not be very much when it comes to 2 SLI 570 GTXs. You might just be maxed out here.
m
l
May 4, 2012 5:22:27 AM

Thanks for the info on the shader clock.

You really think the 2x570s are maxed out? Seems strange b/c 100 MHz on each card is almost 15% increase. And most people OCing 570s have def seen improvements from an OC of this magnitude.
m
l
Related resources
May 4, 2012 2:53:28 PM

The cards could possibly be running a little hot. Try throwing the fans on to 100% and see if it makes a difference.
m
l
May 4, 2012 7:15:43 PM

I tried turning the fan up as you asked, but it didnt change the bench results. The load temps dropped to 60-65 range from 72/68, but no effect on performance.

I noticed crashes in Heaven after 1 hour or so, even when SLI was turned off. This went away when I switched the primary card and ran in single card mode, so I asked EVGA for an RMA on the card that caused the crashes.

While waiting for the RMA, I tried removing the OC on my CPU, and this fixed the crashes as well. I am currently increasing the CPU voltage on my OC to see if it fixes the problem without losing my OC.

Maybe this card I have is just super sensitive to OCing? Wont be able to tell until the RMA arrives, but any suggestions for things to try until then would be appreciated!
m
l
May 12, 2012 5:34:59 PM

you might want to check if the game actually supports SLI, I know many games that claim they do and it isn't until you contact them with your problem that they say that it isn't supported - in which case it's not the vid cards fault.
m
l
May 23, 2012 10:00:57 PM

It is possible that you are hitting a power limit, do a PSU calcuation and see where you stand. That processor alone should be around 120-150W. let me do one for you with aproximate values and then you check it again yourself
m
l
May 23, 2012 10:07:31 PM

Calculator says 850W(minimum) do you have enough?
m
l
July 4, 2012 3:03:59 AM

Ok, So it was my CPU overclock that was destablizing my cards. Bringing down the clock speed made them stable, and made my benchmarks produce an increasing trend as I increased the GPU clock.

However, I didnt want to run my CPU at 4.3 GHZ! I tried increasing the voltage for the CPU @ 4.5 to 1.38 but that did not help at all. Also, Increasing GPU voltage did not work either.

Next, I brought back down the CPU voltage to 1.36 and tried to increase the bus speed from 100 to 102. This brought stability at 4.4 GHZ.

However, I cant get my 4.5 ghz CPU OC back! Are there any other settings I can try to tinker with in order to maintain GPU stability, while still keeping my CPU overclock?

I am sure the CPU by itself is perfectly stable upto 4.6ghz at 1.38v, as it runs Prime 95 Mixed FFF with all free memory for >24 hours straight.

To answer the previous posts:

I have a Seasonic 1000W power supply, so I dont think that is a limiting factor. Also, Heaven Benchmark and Metro 2033 definitely support SLI.

Thanks for your interest!
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 4, 2012 3:07:05 AM

Sometimes overclocking can be your cards downfall. For an example, when I overclock my GTX 550ti my scores actually fall even though it is running completely stable. Again, there really is no point of overclocking your graphics card when you have a great setup like that. As well, you can kill your card VERY easily.
m
l
July 4, 2012 3:27:45 AM

ya, the only reason I want to OC my setup is because the OC removes the stuttering i experience playing BF3 in Ultra online. I know, I am a bit spoiled by my rig, but I put it together expecting to have no problems with any current gen games, and I just want put in the extra effort to get the most out of my system.
m
l
a c 109 U Graphics card
a c 150 K Overclocking
July 4, 2012 4:12:19 AM

Don't put in the effort now! Put in the effort when YOU actually NEED IT.
m
l
July 4, 2012 4:40:28 AM

Well, I do! I dont like BF3 stuttering on me every 5 minutes. So I do see a useful increase in performance. And the overclock I am aiming for is pretty mild. Plus, I have EVGA's overclocking warranty. I would rather have the cards die on me under warranty than after.
m
l
!