Raid Cards Major Differences

staats

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
If you are not running a critical enterprise system, consider buying one from eBay. I've purchased several LSI 8708EM2's from eBay and have been thrilled with them. Have been running on of the cards for well over 3 years without a problem.

staats

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2005
Although it typically works when hdds are different, it is recommended to have identical models. I've never read a manufacturer advocating the use of different disks in the same lun/array. Personally, I've been very happy with Samsung's Spinpoint F3R drives. I have 4 in my workstation and 12 in my ESXI machine.

lumiere

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hello staats,

I have two Kingston Hyper SSD 120GB and considering setting up these in RAID 0.

What are the average speeds for the SSD and set up mentioned above running a Raid Controller?.

Thanks again for your prompt response.

lumiere

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hello GhislainG,

I have two Kingston Hyper SSD 120GB and considering setting up these in RAID 0.

What are the average speeds for the SSD and set up mentioned above in conjunction with a Raid Controller?.

lumiere

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Hello Again,

My current set up has a single KINGSTON HYPER SSD 120GB running under the AHCI mode with an average speeds of read and write of 400 connected to a SATA II controller.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

lumiere

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
My current set up has a single KINGSTON HYPER SSD 120GB running under the AHCI mode with an average speeds of read and write of 400 connected to a SATA II controller.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

Transfer rates will increase, but unless you absolutely need the additional performance, why spend so much money on a controller? Do you absolutely need to RAID them? I would probbaly buy a larger SSD instead of 2 smaller units and a controller.

lumiere

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
My current Set Up:

Asus Rampage III Extreme
KINGSTON HYPER 120GB
NVIDIA 570
i-970 PROCESSOR
24 GB RAM MEMORY
CORSAIR 1200

Considering the RAID Set up mostly because i need a set up to be more responsive and fast enough while working with large Picture & Video Files?.

The current set up mentioned above based on my experience is just not responsive enough when working with AutoCad, Adobe Premiere and Photoshop.

lumiere

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
By Buying a larger SSD will increase peformance when working with large Picture & Video Files also Autocad, Adobe Premiere and Photoshop CS5.5 i need these to be more responsive?.

As always your feedback is very much appreciated.

Most people would be happy with such a system, but performance never seems to be good enough. A RAID 0 with several SSDs (the more the better) can't be beat. If you'll install 2 SSDs, why not use the two SATA III ports? That should be almost as fast as a RAID controller.

lumiere

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
Sadly the SATA III ports on the Asus Rampage III Extreme are below average since the lack for the latest Marvell drivers for this controller are not available as we speak & the biggest reason why chose not to use the SATA III on this motherboard.

The previous set up was using a SATA III ( AHCI ) with a single SSD 120GB drive with the highest score being no more than ( 450 ) read and write.

Under SATA II ( AHCI ) using the same SSD is providing the same exact speeds mentioned above.

I have not set up a RAID system using this motherboard. Is it really worth the improvement if choose to go this way?

lumiere

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2011
If using the SATA III port & RAID 0 system with this motherboard in terms of performance and responsiveness will i be able to double the average speeds based on my current set up?.

What are the average speeds using a SATA III port RAID 0 setup suing this motherboard?

You'll almost double the transfer rates, but everything else will be the same. The speed will be whatever the port allows or the maximum that the SSD can achieve. If it was 450 with one SSD, then it should be close to 900 with two (presuming that there's no bottleneck somewhere else).