Sign in with
Your question

ASUS Crosshair...sometimes boots...sometimes does not.

Last response: in Motherboards
June 1, 2010 11:22:07 AM

MOBO: ASUS Crosshair
CPU: AMD Athlon 64x2 6400+ Black Edition
RAM: 4x1GB Kingston HyperX DDR2 800Mhz
PSU: Antec Earthwatts 650W
GPU: Radeon HD 4870
HDD: 640GB Western Digital Caviar Black
Sound: Turtle Beach Montego (PCI)

The problem I am about to describe has been ongoing for the past couple months. On a COLD boot...sometimes the computer will not boot...and sometimes it will.

For example...when the computer does not boot there are telltale signs. For one..the CPU fan is not at 100% duty...maybe 50%. Also there are 3 red lights that are on my GPU. If the computer does not boot...all 3 stay lit. If the computer does boot...the lights blink a couple times then go off.

When the computer does not boot, I must power it down via the power button. Once it is shut down, I must flip the power switch on the PSU, wait till all the power is drained (lights inside go off), turn it back on, and power the system up. Sometimes it takes a few tries in order to get the computer to boot.

I have read that this problem is either MOBO or PSU. I have also heard something about BIOS revision being an issue here. But the thing is...I have had the same BIOS for a long time...and no problems until two months ago.

Another thing that has crossed my mind is that the CMOS battery might be dying. But the computer has not given me a notification that the CMOS battery is dying...so I am losing hope on that easy solution.

If anyone has any insight...please post here. I want to get this issue resolved.

More about : asus crosshair boots

a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2010 2:33:01 PM

There could very well be an issue with the board or PSU, but have you tried setting your voltages manually? HT link voltage, NB & SB core voltage. The CPU and DDR2 voltage control can also be set manually but try the other three first and see if it helps.
m
l
June 1, 2010 3:58:47 PM

Quote:
There could very well be an issue with the board or PSU, but have you tried setting your voltages manually? HT link voltage, NB & SB core voltage. The CPU and DDR2 voltage control can also be set manually but try the other three first and see if it helps.

In the past I have adjusted some of my voltages. Right now most of them if not all of them are set to auto (summertime and I don't want to risk overheating by overclocking). I know what is safe to set the CPU and DDR2 voltages to. I have no idea where to start for HT Linik, NB & SB Core Voltages...can you guide me in the right direction?
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 295 V Motherboard
June 1, 2010 3:59:00 PM

Hi.

Rest the BIOS and remove 2GB RAM try too boot and see what happen.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2010 4:23:51 PM

brandon02852 said:
Quote:

In the past I have adjusted some of my voltages. Right now most of them if not all of them are set to auto (summertime and I don't want to risk overheating by overclocking). I know what is safe to set the CPU and DDR2 voltages to. I have no idea where to start for HT Linik, NB & SB Core Voltages...can you guide me in the right direction?

Try the settings below (per Crosshair user manual), the SB can be raised a bit more but shouldn't be necessary.

HT Link Voltage [1.275V]
NB Core Voltage [1.275V]
SB Core Voltage [1.500V]
m
l
June 1, 2010 7:27:05 PM

Okay I have adjusted the voltages accordingly. Too early to determine if this problem has been solved or not...but I will monitor the situation over the next few days and give you a status report. Again, thank you for your willingness to help me. :bounce: 
m
l
June 2, 2010 9:59:43 AM

The voltages did not work. I just tried booting up this morning 5 times and no luck. I just removed the CMOS battery and I am going to replace it this afternoon. Once I install it and reconfigure my BIOS I will tell you my current situation.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2010 2:47:30 PM

Ideal voltages would be 1.4v on HT Link, 1.4v on the NB, 1.5v or auto for the SB. But your bios don't allow for this, the HT and NB settings go from 1.275v to 1.575v. Input the memory manufactures recommended settings for the timing, frequency, and voltage and test with one stick of ram.
m
l
June 3, 2010 12:03:21 PM

Okay...well I just put in a brand new 2032 CMOS battery...brand is Energizer..so I know it is quality. Installed it...same problem. However I figured out that if I flip the switch on the PSU, let power drain, flip switch again, and the second i see lights inside the computer, I press the power button....it boots. I will keep experimenting. By the way, I have 4 sticks of spare memory I can test if you think it is a RAM issue.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 295 V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 1:29:17 PM

^My 1st advice was test all the RAM modules in the mobo.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 5:30:07 PM

brandon02852 said:
Okay...well I just put in a brand new 2032 CMOS battery...brand is Energizer..so I know it is quality. Installed it...same problem. However I figured out that if I flip the switch on the PSU, let power drain, flip switch again, and the second i see lights inside the computer, I press the power button....it boots. I will keep experimenting. By the way, I have 4 sticks of spare memory I can test if you think it is a RAM issue.

Did you test with a single stick on the board with the mem manufactures recommended settings?
m
l
June 3, 2010 8:17:45 PM

I have been having a similar problem, also with a Asus Crosshair motherboard. For me it started a little over a month ago. Every once and a while my screen would go black and display a "no input" message. When I would reboot, the computer would do the same thing that was happening to this guy. However, every once and a while it would make it to the windows loading screen and then the screen would go black. I figured it was either a motherboard or video card problem. I had been wanting a newer video card so I ordered and installed one last weekend. It seemed to mostly fix it. It still acted a little weird after the computer was coming out of standby mode. But then yesterday it up and died. Won't even post now. Any thoughts? Brandon, does any of this sound similar to your problems? Did it ever hang while the computer was on?
m
l
June 4, 2010 11:22:00 AM

Sillyman...most of your problems I did not have such as the "no input" message...screen going black...

But my computer hangs when it is on and when loading windows. Just last week I reformatted Windows XP Home 32bit and yesterday I turned on the computer before I went to take a shower...when I came out I found my computer hung on the desktop...couldn't move mouse...etc...etc...it seems my USB ports randomly freeze up and I can't do anything about it...

I also get random hangs when playing games such as Guild Wars...but that doesn't happen much anymore since I reformatted.

I think these problems are a common occurance with Crosshairs...because I had to RMA mine in the past because an external HDD plugged into the front ports immediately killed it...

I hope I don't have to RMA this screwball again because I really can't spare being without a computer atm...

Hope this helped you.
m
l
June 4, 2010 4:49:42 PM

Now the computer won't boot at all...I just called my technician for an expert opinion and whether I should try your possible solutions. (I want to avoid further damage if i can)
m
l
!