HD 5770 vs 260GTX in graphics (After Effects, 3D Max)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beatheart

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
Please, help me to choose HD 5770 or 260GTX for Adobe After Effects, Photoshop and 3D Studio Max.

I have no money for professional card... and I don't want to buy QUADRO FX 580. I had GeForce 9800 GT by LEADTEK, with CUDA so i can't make my choise keep CUDA in 260GTX or get advantages of DirectX 11, OpenGL 3.2 in HD 5770.

5770 performs the same as a 4870, but is slightly more expensive, uses less power/runs cooler and supports dx11.

It costs about the same as a GTX260, so get the 5770. (The GTX260 performs the same as a 4870)

brockh

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2007
I believe those all have plug-ins (or native support already) that enable support for ATi's stream technology in which case the 5770 is a good choice, however you need to verify that they do if you know they already support CUDA as the GPU offloading is incredibly helpful in those applications.

Like you said, a professional card would be best, but I guess you have to work with you have available.

xsever

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2008
Some cards can be flashed to a professional's card bios. I have seen it done. You basically buy a gaming card and flash it with a professional's card bios.

Do some research about it.

randomizer

Champion
3DS Max is only going to need a decent video card if you enable lots of fancy effects in your viewports like ambient occlusion and soft shadows. The final render is all done by the CPU with all current versions of the scanline and mental ray renderers. Mental images is supposed to be bringing out a CUDA-based renderer this month though, if they haven't already. It should be included in Mental ray 3.8.

EDIT: It looks like mental ray 3.8 is now due in early 2010...

^Good point made by randomizer, and I'll add that Photoshop and After Effects do not need much of a video card at all. Raw processor speed, mulitple processor cores, plenty of fast memory, and a fast hard drive is what these applications like, not a high end video card.

Beatheart

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
NVIDIA CUDA accelerates plug-ins and viewport rendering in AE, and in 3D applications too. GPU do it better then CPU.

(sorry for my english)

BTW, CUDA doesn't accelerate AE unless you have a Quadro card (or softmoded) and then it's only a slight boost compared to the CPU render which you might notice depending on your render strategy (I do it while doing something else), as for almost everything else it's still mainly standard OpenGL that accelerates AE & Photoshop on both AMD and nV hardware.
There are plug-ins for both, and really none of them yet are compeling to chose one over the other. What would be more compelling is the OpenCL and DirectCompute future offerings, and that's where the higher level of support would be better, the only problem with the HD5770 though is it's lack of DoublePrecision compared to it's HD58xx counterparts.

I don't know if you've already bought, but if I was building with an eye towards the future, I would be looking at the HD5850 instead, or even the HD56xx series if it keeps DP support. I'm still hoping that the laptop versions of the HD57xx will keep DP, if not then I'm definitely going to go with the HD56xx version if they do.

Wonder why that is, wonder if it gets bumped again. ;)

Beatheart

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
In Russia national currency is RUBL (rur)
1 USD = 29.8179 RUR
1 EUR = 44.3571 RUR
The price is depending of dollar or euro, i don't know + shops want to earn some too. + delivery. So it a little bit expensive for us.

Yeah... Online shops everywhere are a bit more expensive than street shops.

Ruble is still being used? I thought that whole of Europe used Euro! And all the local currencies were phased out! :(

If you have the budget, get the HD5770x2! it would be great!

Yeah maybe! Well I am from Asia. My knowledge is only limited to European Football. I though since they were playing in Europe Champions League they must be in EU and using Euro. I know about UK. They don't use Euro.

I wouldn't go with the GTX260, it's just that the HD58xx series are very attractive going into the future beyond what we currently have.

Right now I'd still put the HD5770 ahead of the GTX260, especially due to better output support with the other kind of DP display port w/ 10bit per channel, as well as higher HDMI support for 12bit per channel output, if you care about colour accuracy (of course you need a monitor to support it too).

It's just annoying that they HD5770 lost that component for something that would otherwise be perfect for workstations, but right now it doesn't make a difference, and even for the future the GTX260 has lower OpenCL and DirectCompute support as well, so it's not a better choice there either.

G

---------------

Just to say that Russia doenst belong to the European Union...and only 25 of the 27 countrys that belong to the european union have or may have the Euro currency, because of some restrections, the most comom rule is that a country can only became an user of the Euro currency when it doenst have more than 3% of debt to other countrys....

But first of all all the countrys must be a democracy, or have some sort of democracy, like great britain, that belong to Europen Union but it prefer to mantain its own currency.

Russia, because it have no Human rites or at least not as the europe thinking. She may not aply to be on the European Union, at all.

Beatheart

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2009
no Human rites at all - it's true! Play Battlefield.Bad Company 2 - Russia is a center of evil in the world! God bless America - the country of human rites and democracy! :lol:

ion_tribe

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Just a thought... There have been issues about 4xx performance in 3dsmax and I tend to believe them. nVidia is trying to push Quadro series by force and I don't really like that idea.

After a lot of research I found that 3dsmax utilizes only *one* GPU so if you buy GTX295, Radeon 5970 (dual GPU cards) or something similar you are going to get (a lot?) slower performance than with single core cards running on higher frequencies.

Btw. if dual GPU card has 2 Gb onboard RAM, max is going to utilize only 1 Gb (Autodesk limitiations).

So the logical choice for my setup is... Radeon 5870 Eyefinity 2 Gb DDR5, single GPU card (850 Mhz) with Open CL and Ati Stream support :D :pfff:

Alternative choice would be GTX285 single GPU card @ 650+ Mhz with 2 Gb DDR3 if you really like nVidia :pfff:

Cheers!

PS. For a 320 EUR price tag not too bad, questionable GTX480 sells for 400 EUR - way too much, no thanks! :D

PPS. Consider yourselves lucky 'cause u don't live in Serbia ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.