Your question

Budget Crossfire Mobo

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • HD
  • Product
Last response: in Motherboards
June 1, 2010 11:35:06 AM

Hey guys, I was wondering if you could give me suggestions on a decent budget cross-fire mobo. I recently found out from this thread: HERE that my "punny" power supply may actually be able to run two 5770. It's a Ultra 750W PSU - info HERE . It is 45 amps; which is 5 amps off of the recommended for 5770x2. However, I won't be running much in my rig:

CPU: Phenom II X4 945 C3 @ 3.0Ghz @ 95W [Running @ stock speeds, will not be OCing any time soon]
RAM: 3 GB of DDR2 800hmz [2GB and 1GB stick]
HD: 320GB WD HD [only running 1 HD - I have several external HD I use to back up files]
DVD optical drive [Regular optical drive w/ lightscribe]
Crossfire Mobo - I'll be needing help with this one ^_^
Currently running a XFX 5770 but may get another somewhere down the road. Mainly want to keep that option open by getting a xfire compatible mobo. Card Info HERE

My current budget for the mobo is $120 [Canadian] before sales tax, shipping and rebate.
Or roughly $140 - 150 after tax, shipping and before rebate. [The tax rate is 13%]

I live in Canada and sites/stores I trust are:

Newegg.ca
Tigerdirect.ca
Canadacomputers.com
Any other reputable Canadian computer hardware dealers

Thanks for reading ^_^

PS: How much difference is there between DDR2 and DDR3 memeory??? If my guess is correct, DDR3 ram @ 1600mhz is roughly twice as fast as DDR2 @ 800mhz?

More about : budget crossfire mobo

a c 302 V Motherboard
June 1, 2010 1:02:17 PM

Hi.

A very solid mobo for ur requirements is the ASUS M4A79XTD EVO a little more expensive that ur budget but very good mobo.
Related resources
June 1, 2010 1:03:49 PM

saint19 said:
Hi.
A very solid mobo for ur requirements is the ASUS M4A79XTD EVO a little more expensive that ur budget but very good mobo.

Misko195 said:
Here one good mobo for you (with USB3 and Sata 6gb):
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
-DDR3 go up to 2133Mhz and yes have difference...

Thanks guys but I don't have DDR3 ram or the budget for it, what I need is a mobo that can support AM3 CPUs and DDR2 RAM.....
June 1, 2010 1:09:41 PM

If you can take a DDR3 mem and mobo with DDR3, becouse in future DDR3 will be cheaper of DDR2 and now every board come with DDR3, it's worth...
June 1, 2010 1:12:53 PM

yeah but I don't have the money for it..... and DDR3 ram isn't gona fall from the sky into my lap.... all I have is $150 and I can't get both with it.
a c 136 V Motherboard
June 1, 2010 1:15:41 PM

So did you look at the MSI one i posted ?
June 1, 2010 1:28:41 PM

coffeecoffee said:
yeah but I don't have the money for it..... and DDR3 ram isn't gona fall from the sky into my lap.... all I have is $150 and I can't get both with it.

Ok, i understand you. Then look for one of Maziar topic, it's really good one with DDR2 for only $94.99
June 1, 2010 1:28:53 PM

Maziar said:
So did you look at the MSI one i posted ?

Nice board. If it's not too much to ask, do you think you can find one w/ identical specs and also on board graphics for hybrid x-fire as well?
a c 302 V Motherboard
June 1, 2010 1:39:24 PM

Nice suggestion Maziar is the best mobo that he can get for DDR2 and AM3 just be sure that the Crossfire is at least @x8.
a c 89 V Motherboard
June 1, 2010 3:09:40 PM

I'll add another vote for Maziar's suggestion. I'm not really a fan of MSI boards, but I couldn't find any decent Gigabyte or Asus AM2+ boards. You're really limiting your options by using DDR2 RAM. I also wouldn't worry about Hybrid Crossfire support. Hybrid Crossfire only works with very low-end GPU's and is completely useless for a gaming system.
June 1, 2010 4:41:07 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
I'll add another vote for Maziar's suggestion. I'm not really a fan of MSI boards, but I couldn't find any decent Gigabyte or Asus AM2+ boards. You're really limiting your options by using DDR2 RAM. I also wouldn't worry about Hybrid Crossfire support. Hybrid Crossfire only works with very low-end GPU's and is completely useless for a gaming system.

I'm not using DDR2 because I want to, I'm limited because of my budget =/
Also, I have reasons for needing hybrid crossfire. My house is very dusty, and having my cards on less oftens means less cleaning and less dust inside my VGA cooler.

If possible, can someone work out a budget AM3 board [with crossfire and on board graphics for hybrid] and a DDR3 ram kit? I'm curious as to how much it would cost.
a c 89 V Motherboard
June 1, 2010 4:53:08 PM

Your 5770 won't work with Hybrid Crossfire. It's only for very low-end GPU's like the 5450. I'm heading out the door right now, so I can't provide links. A Google search for Hybrid Crossfire should get you on the right path, though.
June 1, 2010 5:10:15 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
Your 5770 won't work with Hybrid Crossfire. It's only for very low-end GPU's like the 5450. I'm heading out the door right now, so I can't provide links. A Google search for Hybrid Crossfire should get you on the right path, though.

Your right @_@

Well, I think I'll assess my options first.

If possible, can someone work out a budget AM3 board [xfire compatible] and a 3 -4 GB DDR3 ram kit? I'm curious as how much it would cost.
a c 136 V Motherboard
June 1, 2010 5:20:27 PM

coffeecoffee said:
Nice board. If it's not too much to ask, do you think you can find one w/ identical specs and also on board graphics for hybrid x-fire as well?

I couldn't find any better choices.May i ask why do you need hybridCF? it won't give you a noticeable boost in gaming.
a b V Motherboard
June 1, 2010 7:08:31 PM

Hybrid Crossfire doesn't work with any of the 5000 series, but that's kinda moot lol I've not been able to best any suggestions so far. I'll have another look
June 1, 2010 10:08:47 PM

@Maziar scroll up to my third last post, it's in there =)

@LePhuronn yeah I found out when I made my last post...

Can someone find how out how much a decent crossfire compatible mobo and a 3-4GB of DDR3 ram kit would cost??? I guess I could save up for both the mobo and ram
June 2, 2010 6:38:41 AM

Quote:
i think u should use the ram posted in the above post and this mobo:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

@shovenose isn't that a AM2/Am2+ mobo?... it's not compatible w/ the DDR3 ram though....

I apologize, I meant to say "A decent xfire compatible AM3 mobo and a 4GB DDR3 Ram Kit" in my last post.
If it's not too much to ask, can you guys calculate approximate prices? Tax rate is 13% in Canada.>_<;
Btw, the G.SKILL Ripjaws 2 x 2 GB 1600mhz looks good...
The ASUS EVO looks great but is a bit over budget since I need to save up for DDR3 ram.
Are there other budget AM3 xfire compatible mobos out there?

is ASRock M3A785GXH a good mobo for the price??
According to specs [green @ x16 mode, blue @ x8 mode] Does it mean the first card will run @ x16 and the second @ x8 in cross fire???

PS: Sorry for the delayed responses..... haven't been feeling well due to headaches and fatique =/
June 2, 2010 1:53:48 PM

sorry. i am tired
June 2, 2010 3:12:56 PM

shovenose said:
sorry. i am tired

It's ok, your not the only one :( 
a c 89 V Motherboard
June 2, 2010 3:20:46 PM

The ASRock board would work, but I would spend the extra $30 on the Gigabyte board. ASRock isn't up to the same quality standard as Gigabyte and Asus.

The 16x/8x is mostly marketing. If you put a second card in then both slots operate at 8x speed.
June 2, 2010 4:32:21 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
The ASRock board would work, but I would spend the extra $30 on the Gigabyte board. ASRock isn't up to the same quality standard as Gigabyte and Asus.

The 16x/8x is mostly marketing. If you put a second card in then both slots operate at 8x speed.

I see..... I guess that limits my options
Alright, I guess my best option is to save up for the G.SKILL DDR3 2x2GB 1600mhz and the Asus Evo???
Unless my friend can get decent employee discount for a high-end ASrock mobo???
What do you guys think???
!