Sign in with
Your question

Disk Read Error Occurred on boot (help please)

Last response: in Storage
October 23, 2011 7:31:27 AM

Few days ago I install a fake Windows 7 on my HP Pavilion dv6000. It was ok for the first two days then started to get a message saying their is an error in system 32, and wants me to run f something utility (cant remember what it was).

One night the computer was running fine, and shut down fine. When I start it up the next morning on boot I got a black scream message saying "disk read error occurred press ctrl+alt+del to restart" Doesn't help when I restart it. Then I burn a trail version of windows 7 onto a dvd from Microsoft website, and tried to reinstall windows during boot by pressing F9, selecting boot from dvd, but end up back at the same error message.

I spend hours reading all over the net about this problem, and realize it could be one out of many problems. only understand about half the stuff I read. If anyone here got the time to give me a hand with this one on one would really appreciate it.

My msn is ArtistJ.Wu@live.com I'm on, and off it from 2PM-2AM E.S.T.
Thanks for the help.
a c 82 G Storage
October 23, 2011 4:03:25 PM

If possible, restore from the complete backup that you should have performed if you followed HP's instructions. If you can't restore, configure the laptop to boot from the DVD before the hard disk. Then try to install the OS again, but delete all partitions to perform a clean installation. If you still get the error, then your hard disk probably is defective. I had a similar issue with my HP laptop and installing Windows 7 after deleting all partitions resolved the issue.
m
l
!