Best Cooler for <$45

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
I like the v6 myself, got an Athlon II x4 640 OC'd to 3.5, temps at idle right now are 18 degrees celcius. Not gonna lie, that cooler seems HUGE. It barely fits my storm scout, but does fit. Chip is cool as a cucumber also, I think the highest temp I saw was 35 degrees celcius when running 10 passes of intel cpu burn. I know the guy I talked to at Microcenter didn't care for the x clamp on the 212 he said those were kind of a pain. But the v6 is kind of intimidating the first time you install it as well.

ohiou_grad_06

Distinguished
Nah, I'm from the midwest. The computer is in the basement though. I've got the cooler in my storm scout, have it set up with case fan in front, cooler pulls in through front fan, out through back. Have another case fan directly above the cpu pulling out, for a blowhole effect. Plus a case fan to pull air out the back of my case. So it is cool as a cucumber.

This system is actually 5 years old, upgraded piece by piece over time. The board is an old AM2 sli board by gigabyte, bios flash lets it run the newer quad, so 4 gb of ddr2 800 and my gts 450, runs great for it's age. I think the chip could take more speed actually, but my board seems to kind of try to regulate voltage even when I manually set it. Like if I set my voltage to 1.3, hw monitor reports voltage at 1.37. I know voltage fluctuates under heavy load, so not gonna push my luck.