"Hardware Reserved" abnormality

klinkenberger

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Ok, so I've read over some posts and looked around at some sites talking about "Hardware Reserved" Memory but my problems seems to be a bit unique - but perhaps not.

I'm not sure what all system specs are relevant to this problem so I'll list the basics
- Dual E5530's (16 threads total)
- 24GB DDR3 Memory (6x4GB)
- Quadro CX Workstation Graphics Card
- Win7 64bit - or course

My system is reading as having 4GB (4105MB to be exact) as "Hardware Reserved". This is only viewable under the Memory tab in the Resources monitor and under the MyComputer preferences where it says 24GB (20 usable). I've read posts where it says that certain hardware such as the graphics card and motherboard (bios) can reserve itself memory, but this just seems like a lot... and it also seems to close to what one stick of memory provides... coincident?

What makes this more unique than other situations I've read, is that when I run MemTest it only sees 20GB and CPU-Z only sees 20GB.

I've physically taken out and re-installed all memory into the motherboard and have also completely reinstalled Win7 from scratch. Problem is 100% the same throughout so perhaps it really is reserved and working properly? But if not, I want to know cuz i often max out my memory with the new 64bit After Effects CS5 so I could use any extra memory I can get - unfortunately I can ill afford another $1,400 to install another 24GB just yet.

Hmm well I had that issue because of 1 mem stick not being installed quite right. Since you reinstalled them all it's probably not an installation issue but instead it might be a dead RAM stick. You can try booting with each stick individually, or maybe a Memtest86+ will find some errors.

klinkenberger

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
I mentioned that MemTest does not see the 4GBs of "Hardware Reserved" Memory, only the other 20GB. Does this mean that it is indeed bad? Strange the MemTest can not even see the memory to test it, yet windows can tell it's there.

Are you sure your board supports more than 20 GBs?

Please post your ENTIRE system specs.

klinkenberger

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2008
Yeah, I'm running;
Z8PE-D18 MoBo which supports up to 144GB (RDIMM) or 48GB (UDIMM).
6 - Crucial 4GB 240-pin DDR3 PC3-10600 Registered Memory Sticks
1 - nVidia Quadro CX 1.5GB 384-bit GDDR3 Workstation Graphics card
2 - Intel Xeon E5530 Nehalem 2.4GHz LGA 1366 Processors
Plus HDDs, hot-swap board, Cooling, Monitors, USB controllers, a USB PCI card, and case.

So this is a dual socket server board. I don't have any experience with these guys.

What edition of windows 7 64 bit are you using?

Check your manual to see if there are ram population particularities that might explain it.

Check bios for memory remapping functions.

Its possible that 4gb reserved is normal for this type of board, but why its mapped inside of 24 gbs im not sure of. In fact, I have never seen a system with this much memory. So I have no idea what it does up there.