Your question
Solved

CPU upgrade issues.

Tags:
  • CPUs
Last response: in CPUs
February 6, 2010 4:52:23 PM

Hello, dear tom's hardware community!

I have been reading these forums for a while and now i require your assistance with some very weird issue. Sorry if my english is kinda sloppy, it is not my primary language.

This week i upgraded my computer's CPU from a pentium D extreme 965 to a core2quad q8300. The cpu itself runs pretty well and alot cooler than the pentium D but i am now having freeze and crashes in every directX games i try to run.

I am pretty clueless about what could cause the issue, the cpu and gpus being working perfectly when running openGL based things. As example, ran the last lab ive done this week, 75k particles simulation with physics computation and its working as well (if not better with the cpu upgrade) as with my pentium D.

At first I was afraid i had accidently damaged one of my gpus when installing the new cpu and fan, but tested with each of em individually and both in sli and in every case my openGL programs would run perfectly.

The dx games i have tested with are : modern warefare 1 & 2, dragon age and avatar the game.

I also downloaded the latest gpu drivers and directX and it didin't fix anything.

here's my current pc fulls specs:

mobo: xfx 750i
cpu: intel q8300
gpu: 2x nvidia 9500GT 1GB ddr2 (SLI)
ram: 4x OCZ 2048M 800mhz
hdd: 2x Western Digital Caviar Blue 500gb 7200rpm 16mb cache (raid0)

Thanks for your help!

More about : cpu upgrade issues

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 6, 2010 5:16:37 PM

Thou you do not say which M/BD you use exactly I did check their site and the q8300 is not on their CPU list for the 750i chip set. But since it will take the QX9650 I do not know why it would not use it okay. Here is their site.. http://www.xfxforce.com/en-gb/products/motherboards/7se...

The operating Vc for that Q8300 is .85V - 1.3625V. Might check to see what your M/BD has it set at.

Also you are running 4 sticks of ram and quads sometimes have trouble with that. I would make sure that they are running at MFG recommended timings and since they are OCZ run the highest voltage they recommend for that set. I hope they are all a matched set of 2 at the very least and that the timings are identical for each set.

Good luck to you.:) 
February 6, 2010 5:28:48 PM

yes my mobo supports my q8300.

I am at a vcore of 1.8v, so that sounds fine.

I have never changed the default settings of this system yet, don't really need to overclock it as it already suits my needs.

About the ram... could you tell me more on this? yes its 4 times the same stick, bought it in 2x pairs of dual channel, but no i haven't changed any voltage or config yet, everything was working perfectly and even managing to run crysis on medium settings and 1900x1080 before i changed my cpu. Now I can't run anything that uses dx.

Here's a screen shot of my current temps and voltages:

edit: and i have no clue why occt tells me i have 333 bus speed, should be 1333 :/ 
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2010 6:21:51 PM

Man you really scared me! 1.8Vc!!!! Then I was finally able to get your link to work and seen it is only 1.08Vc. A major difference.:) 

The Q8300 actually has a FSB of 333.33 X 7.5 = 2499.75 MHZ, or 2.5 rounded off. Intel calls this "Quad Pumped". At least I think its Intel that calls it that.:) 

Your temps look really good as well. Might try to bump up your CPU Vc to 1.100V and see if that helps. The Intel core2quads are actually two dual CPUs on one die and have a little more trouble working well with all four dimm slots filled.

The very small raise in Vc for your CPU might help it to be more stable with all that ram.

That not working again I suggest you get the product numbers for your ram and find out what the actual timings and operating voltages are and then use the highest recommended voltage you can on them with the recommended timings of course.

Good luck to you.:) 
m
l
February 6, 2010 6:53:00 PM

Where do you actually change the core voltage? directly in your bios interface? I think i will also have to move some jumper to unlock it... time to get the mobo manual out of its box :) .
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 6, 2010 8:35:04 PM

edyn said:
Where do you actually change the core voltage? directly in your bios interface? I think i will also have to move some jumper to unlock it... time to get the mobo manual out of its box :) .

Yes you will probably have to get your manual out.:D 

Usually hitting Del or F2 will take you in to BIOS.

Good luck.:) 
m
l
February 6, 2010 10:09:50 PM

Hmmm, well found how to mod the voltages, also installed some chipset driver from the cd that came with my mobo and it actually killed windows. My os now won't load, can't be repaired and can't be restored.

Ill' reinstall win7pro in the next days and well see from there :( .
m
l
February 7, 2010 8:26:34 PM

Hmmm, reinstalled win7 from scratch and as i am installing some game to test out the system's stability, i get some "nvidia kernel has crashed and recovered" error after some 3 seconds of black screen. And it juste keeps happenning again and again. How the hell can a cpu upgrade cause so much problems, the whole system had been working perfectly for months before :S...

edit: finally managed to install modern warfare 2, and the game is so unstable it crashes after a few seconds in the main menu...

also borrowed some 8800 from a friend to test with it and see if my 9500s could be damaged.
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2010 12:13:01 AM

edyn said:
Hmmm, reinstalled win7 from scratch and as i am installing some game to test out the system's stability, i get some "nvidia kernel has crashed and recovered" error after some 3 seconds of black screen. And it juste keeps happenning again and again. How the hell can a cpu upgrade cause so much problems, the whole system had been working perfectly for months before :S...

edit: finally managed to install modern warfare 2, and the game is so unstable it crashes after a few seconds in the main menu...

also borrowed some 8800 from a friend to test with it and see if my 9500s could be damaged.

As you have noted this is pretty usual.:??: 

Man I'm just throwing things out now but your PSU or M/BD could be causing these problems.

Have you tried putting your 965 back in just to see if the problems go away?
m
l
February 8, 2010 3:24:34 AM

arthurh said:
As you have noted this is pretty usual.:??: 

Man I'm just throwing things out now but your PSU or M/BD could be causing these problems.

Have you tried putting your 965 back in just to see if the problems go away?

yep had tried with the 965 and i don't have issues... iam going to test increasing voltages in case its juste some stability problem tonight.

Just getting kinda frustrated because i have so much work to do on some project and can't use my computer normally.
m
l
February 8, 2010 4:30:47 AM

well i got the computer back in a very stable state!

i found some recommended voltages for my mobo off another forum and set em (as i was running 34celcius on load anyway, no problem increasing em)

" cpu voltage= .0250 (this is in addition to the core voltage of 1.296)
mem voltage= 1.9
VTT FSB= 1.225 (1.200 default)
NB voltage= 1.28 (1.24 default)
SB core power= 1.53 (1.50 default) "

and modern warfare 2 is running full graphics with shadows and AAx4 without any artefacts or freeze/crash!

thanks for the help Arthurh!
m
l
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2010 3:23:58 PM

Your entirely welcome my friend thou it does seem you solved this pretty much on your own.

Thanks for sharing what made everything stable. Might help some one else down the road.

Good luck to you and happy computing!:D 
m
l
February 18, 2010 1:10:16 AM

Best answer selected by edyn.
m
l