Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Bios keeps resetting

Last response: in Motherboards
June 1, 2010 6:18:56 PM

When I switch off and then on the vacation switch on the back of the PSU the BIOS is reset. The bios reset problem is a new issue which may related to another tread I posted in homebuilt (I recently bent/damaged an internal sata port and knocked the case over).

I have already replaced the CMOS battery with a new one. Any ideas what the problem might be?

More about : bios resetting

a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2010 10:10:42 PM

Things are bent and damaged?
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 12:02:04 AM

Loose BIOS chip?
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 12:28:52 AM

Things might have gotten loose. Plug-unplug all cable connectors in your motherboard and reseat the RAMs. If it still doesn't work, take out the motherboard out of the case and troubleshoot from there connecting just the essential ( CPU, RAM & HD ). It might be that the motherboard may be having some short circuiting with the case that might be causing the frequent reset.
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 12:50:06 AM

The problem of the CMOS memory loosing its settings even though the battery is good could be either a faulty power supply or a faulty motherboard. I would try the power supply first as it is the cheapest and most easy to replace item.
m
l
June 3, 2010 2:34:56 PM

Thanks. I've removed components and it seems to work now. I also left it on for an extended period of time then repeated the complete power-off and the BIOS remained using the original batter (not before I bought two new ones, of course). So, who knows. I can't be sure how damaged the SATA port is (short/no-short) or if tipping it over did any other damage, but if it acts up again I may simply rebuild with a new motherboard. Until then....
m
l
June 3, 2010 2:37:27 PM

Best answer selected by standish.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 11:54:35 PM

standish said:
Thanks. I've removed components and it seems to work now. I also left it on for an extended period of time then repeated the complete power-off and the BIOS remained using the original batter (not before I bought two new ones, of course). So, who knows. I can't be sure how damaged the SATA port is (short/no-short) or if tipping it over did any other damage, but if it acts up again I may simply rebuild with a new motherboard. Until then....

I'm really glad that worked for you... :) 
m
l
!