Sign in with
Your question
Solved

OS Install Fail on ASUS P6T Deluxe v2

Last response: in Systems
November 25, 2009 1:30:37 PM

Thank you for taking the time to read this lengthy posting. Is is a summary of 7 pages of notes, observations, screen printouts and emails to ASUS.

I hope you will be able to make sense of this situation and diagnose the error condition.

SYSTEM:

Motherboard: ASUS P6T Deluxe v2 socket 1366 ( Lotte brand socket)
CPU: Intel i7 920
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster V8 CPU cooler
PSU: Corsair 950 watt
CASE: CoolerMaster HAF 932 case
Graphic card: ASUS EN9800GT
RAM: 12 Gig Corsair TXN1600C8 G (1 - 6 various configurations tested.
DVD: SONY Optiarc DVD/CD RW (OEM) SATA
HDD: New Western Digital WD 3200 Caviar Blue(OEM) SATA

Monitor: Old VGA CRT monitor

An older WD2500, IDE Sony DVD/CD RW and a newer ACER LCD monitor were patched into the system for no change in the error condition

BIOS flash updated to the latest 0610.

I did not set the voltage to factory specs for the Corsair memory sticks in the BIOS

PROBLEM:

Windows 7 installation freezes just before, just after, or at the Microsoft flag during an attempted installation.

All components were removed from the case and set up on the bench. After a CMOS clearance, and a restoration of defaults in the BIOS, Windows 7 installed. Subsequently, Windows 7 booted up a half dozen times. Then it returned to error condition and wouldn't boot past just before, at or just past the Microsoft flag.

It also freezes when the Windows restore system menu item is selected.

OBSERVATIONS:

I did not activate Windows. There was a small notice in the corner of the screen that stated the this was not a genuine copy of Windows!

There was one short beep on the speaker.

I noticed that the list of SATA devices would disappear from the first BIOS drop down menu. When I did a CMOS/BIOS restore the list would return. The IDE, ACHI, RAID choice menu was always in the BIOS sub menu. It was the device list that would disappear.

Tried ACHI, RAID and IDE configuration on single SATA HDD.

It would also freeze when attempting to install Windows XP SP-1 OEM and Windows XP SP-3 OEM. It would not activate self contained OSs, like UBUNTU 8.04 (Amazon $17.00), or KNOPPIX, web CD download,. KNOPPIX generate some pre-installation messages about devices and IRQs and hex locations then it froze with no functionality.

It would not recognize the ASUS factory disk graphic menu. It would default to FREEDOS. Then it would display a 3 choice text menu for Intel Southbridge ICH10R
a 32 bit (insert formatted floppy)
b 64 bit (insert formatted floppy)
c get out of program

With the choice 'c' the cursor would go into a 32 meg RAMDISK with commands available
like in a Microsoft boot CD. I used the FDISK command to remove a partition on disk 2.

Disk 2 was recognized in the BIOS.

Disk 2 would not show up as a letter drive.

When ASUS Flash was activated with alt F2 it would show Disk 2 as C: drive with
a Microsoft directory structure consistent with a Windows OS.

Upon separation, the CPU cooler contact plate had a very thin, consistent layer of thermal paste across the surface. I swiped the surface with isopropyl alcohol Q-tip. Shiny metal was exposed.

I don't think heat was a factor. The mobo has lots of LEDs and they did not flicker or go out. I put my
hand near the cooler and it felt very close to ambient temperature. They few times I check the temperature in the BIOS it was way down. There was no intermittent behavior observed.

The only other unknown, I can think of, is not setting the factory voltage on the memory chips.

I returned the motherboard to the retailer.

Thank you for reading this message.
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 25, 2009 1:44:41 PM

Is there a reason you didn't set the RAM settings in the BIOS? You are correct to assume that is most likely the cause of your problems. I don't know why you would even post this without at least first trying to set the RAM settings.
m
l
November 25, 2009 2:18:51 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
Is there a reason you didn't set the RAM settings in the BIOS? You are correct to assume that is most likely the cause of your problems. I don't know why you would even post this without at least first trying to set the RAM settings.

Thank you for replying to my post.

ASUS email response said nothing about RAM voltage.

I saw nowhere in the installation handbook a notation of the critical nature of this BIOS parameter.
I looked over the memory chip tables in the ASUS handbook and thought it was a step that was
associated with bringing the RAM up to voltage and speed factory specs after the platform had been
stabilized.

It would seem that something of this critical nature would have been given one of the little attention flags that ASUS scattered throughout the installation book.

I would appreciate a technical explanation as to the critical nature of this BIOS parameter.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
November 25, 2009 2:30:06 PM

The DDR3 standard voltage is 1.5v. Many kits need more voltage to operate at their rated speed. Motherboards rarely provide the correct voltage when using "Auto" settings. That's even more true when you fill all the RAM slots on the motherboard. Do you have a link to your exact RAM kit? The RAM should have a sticker on the side that lists their rated speed/timings/voltage. Those values should be manually entered in the BIOS to ensure your RAM operates correctly.
November 25, 2009 2:42:16 PM

They take 1.65v. I was tentative about changing this because it is the max voltage for the system
and it is supposed to be bad to over volt.

I used the full 6 sticks for a couple of days and then reduce to 2 sticks.
I tried one stick briefly and went back to 2.
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
November 25, 2009 3:13:11 PM

1.65v is perfectly safe. You also have to manually set the speed and timings to the rated specs. After manually setting all the values it's a good idea to run Memtest86+ overnight to ensure the RAM is running without any errors.
m
l
December 2, 2009 12:42:37 PM

I have almost the same setup as wallajqaz.

i7 920
P6T (not deluxe)
WD Raptor 300gig
12gig Corsair XMS 3
Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Standard ATX case

My computer will freeze at anytime.. during web browsing, startup.. even when I tried to reinstall to another HDD when I was testing it froze. I change PSU(new 750 Corsair), Vid Card 8800GT to 9800GT and removed everything else and it still would freeze. Very inconsistent, sometimes I can run a benchmark program and it will complete but other times it crashes. I added OCZ Freeze thermal paste as I thought it might have been overheating but after running Benchmark tests again with ASUS ProbeII, then temps stayed well low (46-62C).

So it's either Mobo, CPU or RAM. I ran mem test with each chip in the same slot one by one and all passed. I don't believe the CPU is the cause??

HELP!!
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 2, 2009 1:13:03 PM

Dilaver - You need to start your own thread on this. It's probably not even necessary, though. Freezing problems are commonly caused by incorrect RAM settings. Did you follow the advice above and manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS? Manually setting the RAM values is even more important when filling all the RAM slots like you are since that's considerably harder on the motherboard.
m
l
December 2, 2009 3:59:34 PM

dilaver said:
I have almost the same setup as wallajqaz.

i7 920
P6T (not deluxe)
WD Raptor 300gig
12gig Corsair XMS 3
Win7 Ultimate 64bit
Standard ATX case

My computer will freeze at anytime.. during web browsing, startup.. even when I tried to reinstall to another HDD when I was testing it froze. I change PSU(new 750 Corsair), Vid Card 8800GT to 9800GT and removed everything else and it still would freeze. Very inconsistent, sometimes I can run a benchmark program and it will complete but other times it crashes. I added OCZ Freeze thermal paste as I thought it might have been overheating but after running Benchmark tests again with ASUS ProbeII, then temps stayed well low (46-62C).

So it's either Mobo, CPU or RAM. I ran mem test with each chip in the same slot one by one and all passed. I don't believe the CPU is the cause??

HELP!!

I took returned the Deluxe v2 to the retailer. I purchased a P6T. It worked great the first time on the bench. It worked the first time in the case.

I updated the RAM with the following settings: (The spelling may be a liitle off. I am writing the following
CAS Latency = 8 from tiny notes in the back of my ASUS manual)
RAS to CAS = 8
RAS to Preturn = 8
RAS RE Time = 24

Dram Voltage = 1.64

I ran Memtest for 15 hours with no errrors.

My temperature is running aroung 51 C

m
l
December 2, 2009 4:06:59 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
Dilaver - You need to start your own thread on this. It's probably not even necessary, though. Freezing problems are commonly caused by incorrect RAM settings. Did you follow the advice above and manually set the RAM speed/timings/voltage to the manufacturer's specs in the BIOS? Manually setting the RAM values is even more important when filling all the RAM slots like you are since that's considerably harder on the motherboard.

I only installed the last three menu items on the ASUS factory disk, ex Gate, Turbo B and the power program.

I did not install any drivers because I am running Win 7 64 Pro and assume that the lastest drivers
are included. I have read warnings about installing the drivers on the DVD.

m
l
December 3, 2009 9:07:54 AM

Last note. I changed the DRAM Frequency to 1333 and it automatically changed the settings to
1st Information 9-9-9-24-5-74-10-7-25-0
2nd Info 2N-57-60-61
3rd Info 5-5-16-10-10-10-7-6-4-7-7-4

Do I still need to change anything else?? Voltage says 1.5 on the DIMMS and that is the default currently? Increase? To what?

m
l
December 3, 2009 1:37:31 PM

dilaver said:
Last note. I changed the DRAM Frequency to 1333 and it automatically changed the settings to
1st Information 9-9-9-24-5-74-10-7-25-0
2nd Info 2N-57-60-61
3rd Info 5-5-16-10-10-10-7-6-4-7-7-4

Do I still need to change anything else?? Voltage says 1.5 on the DIMMS and that is the default currently? Increase? To what?

* * * * * * R E P L Y * * * * * * * *

First I urge you to research the situation on Tom's and the ASUS Forums. Dealing with malfunctioning hardware can be extremely frustrating.

My knowledge and experience is very limited. This is my second build. It is the first build with
extensive BIOS editing. I am not telling you this will fix the situation at hand.

This is what I did to input the RAM parameters as part of the normal configuration process described in the ASUS manual.

The parameters described below are referenced with the manufacturer's part number.

Mine is Corsair TR3X6G1600C8. The 1600 is the speed. The speed will be manually input
in the drop down submenu DRAM Frequency.

The voltage will indicated on the RAM stick as well as the product sticker on the package.
The manufacturer's website will have a table with the parameters for their products. The ASUS
manual will have a table of qualified vendors and the parameters. With an older manual, all qualified
RAM may not be listed.

The CAS/RAS parameters (in the form n-n-n-n-nn like8-8-8-24) also will be available in the sources listed in the previous paragraph.

Ai Tweaker

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [DDR3 800 ]
. . . . . . .(submenu). . . . . . . . . . . . [DDR3 nnn ]
DRAM Frequency (pop up menu) [DDR3 1333]
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [DDR3 nnnn]
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . [DDR3 2000]

(submenu)
DRAM Bus Voltage (manual input) 1.64 My reading on the Tom's or ASUS Forum
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . indicate that ASUS allows only even numbers
. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . in this screen.

(submenu)
DRAM Timing Control DRAM CAS# Latency = [8 DRAM clock]
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Delay . . . . . . . . . . = [8 DRAM clock]
DRAM RAS# PRE Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . .. = [8 DRAM clock]
DRAM RAS# ACT Time . . . . . . . . . . . . . . = [24 DRAM clock]
I don't know the significance of the 1st thru 3rd information declarations.

Mine are:

1st Information 8-8-8-24-6-88-12-8-30-0
2nd Information 2N-57-57-60
3rd Information 7-7-18-9-9-9-7-6-4-7-7-4

m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
December 3, 2009 2:10:03 PM

Filling all the RAM slots is harder on a motherboard. If your RAM is rated at 1.5v, I would try it at 1.6v since you have all the RAM slots filled.
m
l
December 5, 2009 6:57:57 AM

I ran the memtest86+ all night and it passed fine after changing the voltage and values to 9-9-9-24 manually. Then left the computer on all night and didn't freeze by morning. I'll start pushing it today and see what happens.
m
l
December 5, 2009 10:40:08 AM

Still freezing.. even when just idle :( 
m
l
December 7, 2009 4:56:20 PM

I don't know if this helps but I can stay in Express Gate without freezing ....so far.. and left it on all night and all day today.
m
l
Anonymous
February 15, 2010 9:18:20 PM

Hi I had the exact same problem as the both of you with a similar system

PSU: Corsair TX 950w
Asus P6T Deluxe
I7 920 - boxed cooling
12 GB ram from kingston 1333 two sets of 3x2GB
Geforce GTX 275
1TB HDD seagate

When i first installed windows it was alright untill i played a game and it went from better to worse
later on my computer would freeze everytime when starting up at the windows flag
and windows repair would also freeze..
I read this forum and set my memmory to 1333 instead of auto and set the volt to 1.6 but with no succes

Then i read on an ather forum that the Corsair PSU might be the problem when using a Asus P6T deluxe or the v2
so i had an ather psu laying around an OCZ 600w and the computer doesn´t freeze anymore!! :) 

Now I do need to buy a more powerfull psu tho sins i already ordered and ather Geforce GTX 275 video card xD

Bye everyone hope this helps!
m
l
May 4, 2010 8:08:38 AM

Guys i had the same problem and i tried almost everything.
Last thing i did that solved the problem was to change power supply.
So i returned back the faulty power supply.
m
l
September 11, 2010 7:56:33 PM

Hi,

I also had trouble installing Windows 7 x64 Home Premium. The setup got to the Microsoft flag and froze at that spot every single time.

My setup:
M/B: Asus P6T Deluxe v2
CPU: i7 940 (ES) @ 2.93GHz
PSU: Corsair AX850w
RAM: 3x 2GB Corsair Dominator DDR3 1600MHz (8-8-8-24) @ 1066MHz
GFX: 2x Inno3D GTX460 768MB
Sound: Asus Xonar DX
SATA HDD's: 120GB Maxtor (primary) + 1.5TB Seagate (data)

Solution: I managed to eventually install Win7 after I changed the storage controller mode from AHCI to IDE (Enhanced).

I hope this helps others having the same symptoms.
m
l
!