Low overclocking on i5 2500K Turbo boost on All Cores?

cronos177

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011
Dear Community,

I know there are literally over a million threads of i5 2500k overclocking, but I just converted from AMD to intel. I just got a i5 2500k and a ASRock Z77 pro 3, I don't know why but I don't feel the system as responsive as with my old Athlon ii X3@3.85Ghz. For my Ram I have HyperX 2x4gb 1333. I have been mostly playing Starcraft 2 which is the main reason I changed to intel, the problem is that I still feel the sudden slowdowns. Currently, I have the processor at stock, and I would like to do just a mild overclocking, maybe to 3.8Ghz, I know the chip can take more, maybe eventually once I get use to overclocking intel. For now my main question is about Turbo Boost on 1 vs all Cores. Can I up the Multiplier to lets say 38 and Change the turbo boost to all cores? would that effectively overclock the chip for all cores at 3.8 rather than only 1? I appreciate all your responses, if it is not explain well please ask, like I said am new to intel, and I would appreciate help. Thanks

Solution
My guess would be to just u the multiplier. Don't run Turbo Boost with upped multipliers. Not saying it would harm anything, it just would make it confusing or other wierd occurances

cronos177

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011

Thanks,
Are you saying to disable the Turbo boost and up multiplier to 38?

Yea turn on turbo boost and change multipliers. You will notice it saying the turbo frequency will be upped as well (i think.) and then if you ever need a boost over overclock it should help but.... I would just stick to uping multipliers.

Come back if you need help and glad I am could help you out!

If you are using the Stock HSF, Intel HSF is at the bottom of the Totom Pole in terms of performance. Run prime 95 to verify your OC is stable MONITOR your temps.

Have the ASrock Extreme 4, w/i5-2500K. My asrock had a utility and all I did was set to 4.2 and walla,reboot and 4.2

cronos177

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2011

I have a hyper 212+ push/pull getting a max of 48-50C at 4Ghz. Thanks for all, but when I tried to disable the power saving features it wasn't stable.