Water Cooling in a small HTPC

NYTrojan

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2005
Hello everyone,

Howdy everybody,
I have a small home theater PC (Moncaso 312b). As you can see in the picture below (From google search, this isn't mine) space is VERY limited. That said I'd love to water cool the thing. As a HTPC I'd prefer it to be much quieter than it is, and it is already running hot as is (no overclocking or anything).

I know very little about watercooling in general, and am wondering if it is even possible in such a space constrained system. At first I thought there was no way, but then this little guy caught my eye: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/11...tl=g30c95s1311

The back of the MonCaso supports space for 3 side by side 40mm fans so this radiator might actually work. That said I have no idea what to do for a reservoir or pump. Any thoughts on the smallest but yet still effective components around? Also I noticed that the radiator I linked above says that it supports hoses with inner dimensions of 8mm. That doesn't seem to give with either 1/2 or 3/8ths hosing... so what's the deal there?

Thanks!

Picture: http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/4636484231_4695fbfc8f_o.jpg

Solution
You leave the current fans in there, once the Cpu heat is out of there they will have less to do and should rotate slower/quieter but you still want some airflow in the case
and what you would do is get another case or make a box from 20mm board,
design that so the pump/reservoir and radiators fit in nicely, and have two tubes from the Pc going to the box, one to feed, ond one return line,
I used quick disconnectors on mine to make it easy to move things around when needed, its the big silver thing here, I was priming/bleeding air from the loop at the time
IMAG0551.jpg

I can help you design it but you will have to have either a suitable case or box to use first
Moto
40mm fans will be noisy,
you are looking at 120mm fans blowing slowly to reduce noise,
Xspc's rads are designed for low rpm fans (Except the EX series)
check this out though, it is very doable,
Page 8 near the bottom, guy called smileytown,
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/page-266324_11_350.html
and avoid that reserator kit, it has aluminium in it, as a watercooler, aluminium is one of your worst enemies
Moto

NYTrojan

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2005
No problem man, life takes its turns hehe,
that is one seriously tight space :p
Onyl way you are going to watercool that is by having an external box with the W/c gear in and running the tubing to the Pc, there isn't any room in there for anything,
but that is a blessing in a way because your W/c box can be silent and your Pc temps will benefit greatly
Moto

NYTrojan

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2005
Thanks folks, that's what I thought I might have to do. Do you have any suggestions about particular brands / devices I ought to look into. I get the impression that that tiny radiator that would fit where my 40 mm fans are (Across the top of that pic) isn't going to do the trick.

Also, if I remove system fans and replace with water cooling, should I be concerned about the heat my northbridge and ram will generate? There's room for a NB waterblock but absolutely no room for additional RAM cooling

You leave the current fans in there, once the Cpu heat is out of there they will have less to do and should rotate slower/quieter but you still want some airflow in the case
and what you would do is get another case or make a box from 20mm board,
design that so the pump/reservoir and radiators fit in nicely, and have two tubes from the Pc going to the box, one to feed, ond one return line,
I used quick disconnectors on mine to make it easy to move things around when needed, its the big silver thing here, I was priming/bleeding air from the loop at the time
IMAG0551.jpg

I can help you design it but you will have to have either a suitable case or box to use first
Moto

Solution