April 30, 2012 6:39:00 PM

Hi, new guy here, :ange:  recently i got myself a new desktop with such specs:
Intel Core i5 2400
Gigabyte Z68AP-D3
ASUS GTX560 DirectCu ii
KVR DDR3 1333Mhz 4gb (single channel)
1TB WD Blue HDD
Corsair GS600W

Now, i have no knowledge when it comes to overclocking. But i'm planning to get myself a dual-kit performance RAM for better speed and also take this chance to learn how to overclock memory.
My current choice is either the G.Skill's RipJawX DDR3 1866Mhz 8gb (4gbx2) running at 9-10-9-28 OR Corsair's Vengeance DDR3 1866Mhz 8gb running at 9-9-9-24.

I've done some basic research and articles on how to and what-not, and found out a few things, which is the performance ram u bought wont run at the speed stated instead on standard 1333 unless u OC it. 1 more thing is something about to OC your ram u need to OC your CPU as well to get optimum result.

I know my CPU 2400 can't be OC because the multiplier is locked (what i read), so i'm here to seek advice, what is the maximum speed and timing i can get out from my current system and which is the best RAM to go for??

Should i go for 1600 or 1866 memory??

PS : i'm still learning about those technical jargons about PC stuff so forgive me if i don understand what's being said :o 
April 30, 2012 7:28:29 PM

1333 is supported. Anything over that won't give results. Ivy Bridge native is 1600.
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
April 30, 2012 7:29:59 PM

A couple of things: (first I have DDR3-1600 CL7 @ 1.60 Volts.)
1) a while back there was a comparision on Memmory speed for SB (aka i5-2500k).
The conclussion was that memory over 1333 had minimial effect on overall day-to-day performance. It also stated that the "sweet spot" for SB was ddr3-1600 - reason was that the cost diffirencial was to small.
2) Alot of use moved ram over from an older system ie DDR3 that required 1.65 Volts.
3) Recently, and there are several posts on this is tha Ram above 1.575 V and/or ram over DDR3-1333 VOIDs intel's warrantee. And if the CPU goes belly up for any reason if your ram is set to over 1.575 V, or is run ar higher than 1333 you are SOL!!!

4) Intel Now offers a OC warrenty ($25 for i5-2500K, your non K is probably like $20) That allows a bad CPU to be RMAed with NO questions asked on a one time deal.

Bottom line: Unless you have a specific application, and there are a few, that can utilize the increased bandwith - stick to the DDR3-1333 @ 1.5 V or BUY the OC warranty.
added: alternative, buy the 1600, run it @1333 and tighten the timings up.
Related resources
April 30, 2012 7:38:43 PM

RetiredChief said:
A couple of things: (first I have DDR3-1600 CL7 @ 1.60 Volts.)
1) a while back there was a comparision on Memmory speed for SB (aka i5-2500k).
The conclussion was that memory over 1333 had minimial effect on overall day-to-day performance. It also stated that the "sweet spot" for SB was ddr3-1600 - reason was that the cost diffirencial was to small.
2) Alot of use moved ram over from an older system ie DDR3 that required 1.65 Volts.
3) Recently, and there are several posts on this is tha Ram above 1.575 V and/or ram over DDR3-1333 VOIDs intel's warrantee. And if the CPU goes belly up for any reason if your ram is set to over 1.575 V, or is run ar higher than 1333 you are SOL!!!

4) Intel Now offers a OC warrenty ($25 for i5-2500K, your non K is probably like $20) That allows a bad CPU to be RMAed with NO questions asked on a one time deal.

Bottom line: Unless you have a specific application, and there are a few, that can utilize the increased bandwith - stick to the DDR3-1333 @ 1.5 V or BUY the OC warranty.
added: alternative, buy the 1600, run it @1333 and tighten the timings up.

So are u saying that using 2400 i can't increase my RAM's clock speed to any value above 1333Mhz?? If you ask me to buy a 1600 and tighten the timings, why not use the current KVR i own and tighten its timing??

There's been a lot post that i saw, for my spec, increasing ram speed is doable...let's see what other says.

Thanks anyway :bounce: 
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2012 1:23:41 AM

I concur with Retired Chief ... SB is very picky about RAM voltage and clockspeeds above 1333 MHz are not benficial....BTW....CAS 7 @ 1333 MHz is comparable to CAS 9 @ 1600 MHz....also, RAM above 1.575v will hinder the longetivity of the chip.
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2012 2:36:01 AM

ilovepink - Not saying you can't. just stating that It voids the warranty.
For what it's worth I'm running DDR3-1600 C7 @ 1.60 Volts. This voids my warranty, but I know it. Many do not realize it and I just do not want you to go in blind - as one poster found out the hard way, Blew his CPU and Intel would not allow a RMA.
May 1, 2012 3:18:57 AM

lowjack989 said:
I concur with Retired Chief ... SB is very picky about RAM voltage and clockspeeds above 1333 MHz are not benficial....BTW....CAS 7 @ 1333 MHz is comparable to CAS 9 @ 1600 MHz....also, RAM above 1.575v will hinder the longetivity of the chip.

RetiredChief said:
ilovepink - Not saying you can't. just stating that It voids the warranty.
For what it's worth I'm running DDR3-1600 C7 @ 1.60 Volts. This voids my warranty, but I know it. Many do not realize it and I just do not want you to go in blind - as one poster found out the hard way, Blew his CPU and Intel would not allow a RMA.

How long is the warranty given?? 1 or 3 years?

Let's just say i knew bout this and decided to do it anyway, what are the reasons that my warranty is voided actually??

@retired chief, the reason why you're running at 1.6v is because you tighten the timing to CL7?? or it needs to run at 1,6v even if you runs at manufacturer recommended timing??? Commonly CL9 on 1600Mhz
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2012 12:11:43 PM

Manuf Warranty for i5-2500k is 3 years
I Know the reason my GSkillRijaw DDR3-1600 CL7 are @ 1.60 V - It's the manuf spec and is what is listed inside the Module under SPD. If you select XMP and profile 1 in Bios, that is what it runs at. - LOL

1) If you check Intel's spec sheet for Sandybridge CPUs it States Ram Voltage 1.500 ± 5 %. So it you use a voltage over 1.575 that is over the specification. It's no differnent than exceeding a Vcore of 1.500 Volts. This is ALSO the reason that DDR3 most common voltage is 1.50 Volts

2) I was unawhere that exceeding the 1333 also volded their warrenty untill a Poster repored that when he tried to RMA his CPU that is what Intel told him. DDR3-1333 is the Spec for SB series and is the reason Ram comes up at this speed UNLESS you change it in Bios, either manually or by using XPM profile. When You buy say DDR3-1600 it is considered Overclocked Ram.

Read first post of: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

Now for the reasons:
1) Voltage. The SB is the first line of Intel CPUs to use an ON Die memory controller. The MAX CPU voltage is 1.5 V (it's recommended that you do not go above 1.4 V). If you set memory Voltage to above 1.5 then the Input signal is Higher than the "supply" voltage. ICs can only tolorate a slightly higher signal voltage compared to the Supplu voltage (Vcc).

2) Frequency. This is a little more difficualt to understand. As Frequency goes up, impeadance (Similar to resisance, but for reactive components) goes down therefore current goes up. Current = voltage devided by resistance. The primary reason current goes up is that at the higher frequences the IC acts capacitive. XsubC is the resistance of a Capacitor and is found by Xc = 1 divided by ( 2 x π x Freq) and explains why current goes up. So even at the 1.5 V using DDR3 > 1333 causes an increased current inside the CPUs Memory controller.

May 1, 2012 2:55:52 PM

wow that's quite some info you got there LOL

I think i'm gonna do quite some studies about this overclocking thing during my holidays :pt1cable: 

However, although warranty will be voided, but clocking a new set of G.Skill RJX to 1600Mhz @ CL7 with 1.6v is safe for my i5 2400 right?? Just gonna clock them to the manufactured recommended specs and mayb tweak a little further once i learn how to properly do it... :ange: 

I saw the specs of a pair of G.Skill RJX 1600Mhz 8Gb (4gbx2) has a manufactured timing of 9-10-9-28 not CL7 like you mentioned...is there another pair with a tighter timing??
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2012 3:51:45 PM

Might look at these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
They have the same timing as Mine, but at 1.5V vs mine at 1.60 v
I've been running mine @ the 1.60 V since I bought my i5-2500k.
But since its rated at 1600 Cl 7 @ 1.5 V the voltage should not be an issue.
Unless you are going to try and improve timings or speed. Quite honestly the small increase you would get would NEVER be noticable in your day-to-day usage, ONLY in bench marks would you see the diff.
May 1, 2012 4:25:47 PM

RetiredChief said:
Might look at these: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
They have the same timing as Mine, but at 1.5V vs mine at 1.60 v
I've been running mine @ the 1.60 V since I bought my i5-2500k.
But since its rated at 1600 Cl 7 @ 1.5 V the voltage should not be an issue.
Unless you are going to try and improve timings or speed. Quite honestly the small increase you would get would NEVER be noticable in your day-to-day usage, ONLY in bench marks would you see the diff.

yea i'm aware of that, many people say the effect is hardly noticeable.
then why would they call it gaming and performance RAM if it doesn't show much difference when using it for gaming purpose??

In the end i might just get another similar 4gb KVR 1333 i'm using now and make it into 8gb dual channel :) 
a b } Memory
a b K Overclocking
May 1, 2012 5:43:48 PM

TWO Words - MARKETING TOOL!!!!!
May 2, 2012 12:45:36 AM

Hi guys I'm trying to get my Intel C2Q Q9400 2,66@3,2 to 3,6 ghz but i have a problem with my ram.In the BIOS i only have auto/667/800mhz for my ram frequency and i had to set it to 667 so i could get to 3,2ghz ,the problem is when i want to go to 3,6ghz i have to set my fsb to 450 mhz but the FSB: DRAM=1:1 on 667 and on 800 its 5:6 so even higher so when i go over 400mhz for ram (2x400) the system crashes or wont even turn on my motherboard is biostar p43b-a7 and my ram is 2x "G.SKILL 2GB DDR2-800 6400CL5S-2GBNT" rated at "CL5-5-5-15 1,8V"
Should i try to increase the ram voltage and is it safe?

Best solution

a b } Memory
a c 197 K Overclocking
May 2, 2012 1:40:44 AM

mike, your problem is completely unrelated to the original post. Please start your own thread and do not threadjack this one.

You also get more points, so there is an element of self interest here. :) 
John

ilp,
Get DDR3-1333 1.50 volt RAM. Intel systems are relative insensitive to faster RAM speeds. And you have the warranty problem.

http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/333313-13-intel-spe...

May 2, 2012 3:15:56 AM

jsc said:
mike, your problem is completely unrelated to the original post. Please start your own thread and do not threadjack this one.

John

ilp,
Get DDR3-1333 1.50 volt RAM. Intel systems are relative insensitive to faster RAM speeds. And you have the warranty problem.

Thanks i didn't want to open up a new tread so that the forum stays more compact so i just tryd to use one of the existing posts anyway thanks for replaying I'm not really looking to speed up my ram just trying to get to that 3,6GHz and i found some new ram options in my bios which i will use to try to understand them on my new post in the new tread .Thanks for helping cheers
May 2, 2012 8:52:30 AM

jsc said:

John

ilp,

Yea looks like i won't be getting a higher speed ram haha.

Might just get another similar 1333 RAM i have now to make it into a dual channel 8gb, that's fine right??
May 2, 2012 8:53:22 AM

Best answer selected by ilovepink.
!