spartanw80

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
I'll be building a watercooling rig in an SG08 in about a month using a Magicool 180mm Slim Radiator with two 180mm fans in a push/pull setup. The case comes with an AP181 but it seems to me like the FM181 would be a slightly better fan to use with my radiator as it doesn't have that annoying grill on the front, is capable of another 100 rpms and uses double ball bearings instead of a sleeve bearing(AP181). At the same time, I've heard mixed reviews on how the grill on the AP181 affects radiator performance. Perhaps it would be better to have an FM181 blowing up while the AP181 on top of the radiator pushes the hot air further away from my case?

What are your opinions on it?

spartanw80

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Yes, that is the radiator. If the thin radiator doesn't offer much resistance, would I at least be able to have a quieter build for the same results by running the two fans at a lower RPM than one fan at a higher RPM? Also if the resistance is low, perhaps I could run a radiator stack with one fan in between two of those radiators?. I've got about 110mm-120mm of height to work with for cooling an overclocked 3770k and GTX 680 Direct CU II. Thank you for all your help so far, I really appreciate it.

Well, that gets into the whole system design. Providing you have a decent pump I can see that as working, and you do need the extra cooling. I'm wondering how you can squeeze that into an SG08 though. Where are you putting the pump?

I was thinking maybe you were going to use a bay res/pump combo, but there aren't really any bays.

spartanw80

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

I'll be using an msata ssd(OCZ Kilimanjaro or Micron M400 depending on availability) underneath the motherboard(Zotac Z77E-ITX) so I won't need the hard drive bays. I'm then going to put the psu on it's side so it's intaking air and blowing it towards the motherboard(This also gives clearance for the radiator and fans). Once I put the PSU on its side there will be additional space between the psu and the gpu side of the case where I'll put a Swiftech MCP35X-BK and a Technofront Nano Reservoir.

spartanw80

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012

Thank you for input. I'll go run it by them as well.