CoffeeShop1201

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Hello,
I have a Dell Optiplex 210L computer that was working fine this morning. Now, however, when booted, I get the Dell splash screen, then just a flashing cursor in the upper left corner. It will not go into setup mode when I press F12, either. It further will not go into setup when I press F2 and select setup mode from the list of options. What has blown up?

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
sounds like your usb has packed up..

remove the bios battery for 10 minutes
◦Locate the 3-pin CMOS password reset jumper on the system board.

◦Remove the jumper plug from pins 1 and 2.

◦Place the jumper plug on pins 2 and 3 and wait approximately 5 seconds.

◦Replace the jumper plug on pins 1 and 2.

try another keyboard ( got to be usb )

try this if this dont work then your motherboards gone for a burton

CoffeeShop1201

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010

Thanks so much for your reply - I removed the battery, waited for 10 mins, replaced the battery, and with the A/C off, did the pin thing. That time when I booted, I did get a recognition that the system battery was low. However, when I pressed F2 to enter setup, I got a message that said "entering system setup", and then the flashing cursor in the top left corner again. Is this recoverable (i.e. will another CMOS battery help), or is it a blown motherboard? Thanks :)

CoffeeShop1201

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2010
Thanks so much for your reply - I removed the battery, waited for 10 mins, replaced the battery, and with the A/C off, did the pin thing. That time when I booted, I did get a recognition that the system battery was low. However, when I pressed F2 to enter setup, I got a message that said "entering system setup", and then the flashing cursor in the top left corner again. Is this recoverable (i.e. will another CMOS battery help), or is it a blown motherboard? Thanks :)

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

the bios has not been cleared properly

remove the battery as before for 30 mins and try that

make sure its unplugged from the mains..