What will happen to the company Gigabyte once...?

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
What will happen to the company Gigabyte once Gigabytes are surpassed by Terabyte drives, ie 32T SSDs or HDD's?

In terms of brand equity Gigabyte is a great company and a good name in the GPU, Casing, and motherboard market... but there will be a time whether it be in 2-10 years from now where Gigabytes will become "obsolete" like kilobytes and megabytes in terms of storage capacities. Imagine a 32 TB to a 100TB HDD or SSD with a new kind of platter? So what do you think the company will do to preserve their name?

In terms of technology, companies always want to be marketed as "ahead of the times and current technology". So how will this play out in your opinion?

Solution
Ha I've wondered about this briefly too.

"Megabyte and before that Kilobyte."
Wow I didn't know that. Nice, so it looks like they will change their name. Interesting.
When this happens, Gigabyte will change its name to Terabyte. They already have it trademarked and its in their corporate plan. If you look into their history, you will find that they used to be called Megabyte and before that Kilobyte.

randomkid

Distinguished

You're joking, right? Do you have links to this?

Punkinator's been Punk'd, I think <smile> ;)

The truth is they're going to change their name to "Exibibyte", and be ready for 128bit computing a decade early. ;) :whistle: :sol:

liquidsnake718

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
es, a topic that has crossed my mind when I bought my gigabyte case... interesting nontheless, its hard to have a "classic" name for an IT company much less one that makes motherboards and gpus, hehe. Maybe I should email them... Im sure Asus and MSI their biggest competitors are smiling.... foxconn must be as well or must be worried since they probably supply some parts to gigabyte