NewToThis 101

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Hello, I'm a non gamer, don't store movies, games, and not much music, I'm just a web browser. Current computer uses less than 30GB that includes Windows 7 (32). Considering an SSD only computer. How big should I go considering 80GB Intel.

Solution

80 GBs for the OS and some programs + 500 GB to 1 TB for data. (40 GB SSD will fill up too fast).

These things are like buying a new boat; the moment you step foot on it, it is two feet too short!

NewToThis 101

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
Thanks Ubrales for the quick response, which do you think is the best for a person like me. Go with a (1) 80GB SSD or (2) go with a 40GB SSD (for the OS, Fire Fox, Thunderbird Quicken, AVG) and with a 500GB Hard drive.

80 GBs for the OS and some programs + 500 GB to 1 TB for data. (40 GB SSD will fill up too fast).

These things are like buying a new boat; the moment you step foot on it, it is two feet too short!

Solution

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Hello, I'm a non gamer, don't store movies, games, and not much music, I'm just a web browser.

You can get by with 80GB, you can probably get by with 64GB. I have a small laptop that I use for travel or casual browsing around the house. I am considering a 64GB drive for it.

Keep in mind that things tend to grow and add up, so eventually you could reach the limit of your 80GB drive. However if you watch it and occasionally do some housecleaning it should work fine.

Just to add it's going to be a new build and major components include Intel 2500k over clocked to 4Ghz, Cooler Master 212+, GA-Z86MA-2D2-B3 MoBo, 8 GB RAM, Windows 7 (64)

This is way overkill for your stated purpose. Of course you are free to buy and build whatever you want, but your stated purposes could be easily met with the i3-2100, 4GB of ram and 32bit OS. If you have the budget for the hardware you mention, I would recommend going ahead with the Intel 120GB to give you a little more room to play with.