Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Drivers
  • Games
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 29, 2009 4:57:42 AM

K so finally I got some time to try out the system, but everytime I run a game (3D most of the time), the game hangs anywhere from 2 seconds to 20 seconds into the game. I press ctrl+Alt +delete multiple times to unfreeze it, then I get the message "Display driver has failed but has recovered".

Video card is not overclocked, The latest drivers are installed. I hope to god its the drivers, every1 from techsupport and around me in shops says ALOT of ati cards have this problema nd alot of ppl just wait patiently for drivers.

Now my rig is:

i7 920 @ stick (was at 3.2 but then I downclocked it because I thought the freezing was because of this)
Asus Rampage 2 Gene
3 x 's OCZ DDR3 GOld Editions
1000HX Corsair
2x's Raptor HDDs + 1 TB Seagate

Thank you, any opinions will help.

P.S

Fully reformated system twice tried drivers 9.11 and 9.10, will try stock CD drivers soon just to be sure. Motherboard is flashed to latest bios.
285 GTX card does work with no problems, So motherboard isn't the issue (unless its compatibility)

More about : problem system 5870

a c 248 U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
November 29, 2009 5:08:23 AM

And peeps make fun of me for upgrading GFX cards every 2 years ....

Uninstall all drivers, reboot .... do not let Windows install new driver for found hardware

Use CCleaner or another registry tool to remove all registry references to ATI drivers, reboot .... do not let Windows install new driver for found hardware

Install latest drivers from vendor's web site, reboot
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2009 5:12:37 AM

Hey Liquid, nice to see you dabbling with the 5870's.

It sounds alot like a driver issue to me, but have you tried swapping the 5870 to a different pciex16 slot on your motherboard? Even if you only have another x8 slot it will still work fine, try that out.
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2009 5:29:53 AM

yes I did try the other slot, they are both 16x. I reformated twice, as for vendors website I'm assuming XFX? Since my 5870 is XFX?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2009 8:08:41 AM

For comfort, it is well known that when the 9.12's are released they should be epic drivers, both in fps and bug fixes, so maybe they will fix your issues.

Oh and I should mention, after I added both my 5870's to my Asus P6T I was getting insane crackling and dropouts from my audio. I bought a Gigabyte X58 UDP and haven't looked back... All I mean to say is, even with an updated Bios you never know when your mobo is just doing something WRONG.
m
l
November 29, 2009 12:28:54 PM

I'm flashing my Motherboard back back to the previous bios....windows now only sees 4/6 gigs....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 29, 2009 6:05:38 PM

L1qu1d said:
I'm flashing my Motherboard back back to the previous bios....windows now only sees 4/6 gigs....

Seems to be a problem with Asus mobos...
m
l
November 30, 2009 2:52:30 AM

I'm fed up with Asus, they aint what they use to be, when I had the Q9450, I paid like 500$ for the Asus Striker 2 formula 780i and it couldn't OC the CPu past 3.0 GHZ with out BSOD.

Bought EVGA Triple SLI motherboard 780i, it oced the CPU to a stable 3.8 GHZ.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 2:56:34 AM

Asus is known to have problems while overclocking. Their BIOS is very unstable and their BIOS updates are not available that regularly. Did you try with the default CD drivers before changing??
m
l
November 30, 2009 4:43:12 AM

I DID IT!!!!!!

Ok here is whats wrong with what Asus does, the Ram IS HEAVily Underclocked, I budged up the DRAM Bus up to 1.65v and the QPI to 1.35 (QPI @ 1.39 with CPU at 3.2), now it detects all 6 gigs, and the 5870 is no longer crashing on me!!!

WOOOOOO!!!!!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 3:54:45 PM

Hooray!
m
l
November 30, 2009 4:06:09 PM

Now all I need is to search for a good fan for my CPU, so I can oc it more, btw annisman you killed ur rig, some amazing stuff you've got there. I am actually of thinking of going SSD as well:) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 4:55:45 PM

L1qu1d said:
I DID IT!!!!!!

Ok here is whats wrong with what Asus does, the Ram IS HEAVily Underclocked, I budged up the DRAM Bus up to 1.65v and the QPI to 1.35 (QPI @ 1.39 with CPU at 3.2), now it detects all 6 gigs, and the 5870 is no longer crashing on me!!!

WOOOOOO!!!!!!

The undervolted ram is one problem, theres others as well, and alot of this goes against the ATI drivers issues, which if not for some persistent people with good knowledge, doesnt fall prey to this.
Good to see you fixing the problem, now get on with it and show us some benches, good job
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 5:01:38 PM

It seems a lot of p55 cominations/boards like the higher qpi voltage. I see the ocz rep offer this in their support forums. I'm curious, is this what would make the p55 chipset and heat sink hotter with voltage increase ? Just wondering the con to the pro of raising that setting. getting a commen setup running is pro enough, I know.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
November 30, 2009 5:08:48 PM

What are the rest of the Ram settings? i know I've had some boards go to a default low setting, some detect correctly, and rarely I have heard of some going to the plain wrong settings (yours sounds like the latter).
m
l
November 30, 2009 5:18:57 PM

I haven't had this problem before (oh and btw, I mean undervolted not underclocked lol, but I guess you guys caught that), I mean I've had under voltages for CPUs, and rarely for ram, and definitely not enough to make 1 ram slot not detectable in Windows or Bios, just in CPUZ.

This is a wide problem in alot of the X58 boards. I'm sure if you search google, you'll see that ppl are having a hard time, because their system is unstable and they have 2 gigs of ram missing.

When I used predefined OC from the bios, the Ram voltage was automatically clocked up, but it still wasn't enough even for stock CPU speed.

And this is with the lastest BIOS! Shame on you Asus!

@Jaydee, I'll do some benchies as soon as I can:)  But they won't be exceptional (17" @ 1280x1024 lol), I'm waiting on my new monitor. I finally decided to go 1080p for Monitor size:) 

Everything else for ram setting is fine at stock, matches the profile of the ram, but for some reason the QPI (which is basically FSB from what I understand, still a little behind on the i7s because of school) and the RAM bus voltage.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 6:45:03 PM

L1qu1d said:
Now all I need is to search for a good fan for my CPU, so I can oc it more, btw annisman you killed ur rig, some amazing stuff you've got there. I am actually of thinking of going SSD as well:) 

Thanks man, I actually have to update my sig, because I am no longer able to use my creative x-fi soudcard with my new mobo = (

Cuz there is not an open PCI slot anymore, oh well, I had to swap mobos to fix my mobo latency issues, which I wouldn't wish upon my worst enemy.

Yeah the OCZ vertex Turbo is a bit....overkill...I still don't know what I was thinking. But I do know what I wasn't thinking about.... (my credit card bills). She is very fast though!

For a great CPU fan....go get the Xigmatek Thor's Hammer if you want a guranteed 4.0GHZ (or higher) and don't want to get the TRUE like everyone else.
m
l
December 1, 2009 1:11:57 AM

Got Some pics of the rig

Will get some benchmarks going:)  This motherboard and CPU will go in my Media centre Computer when the i9 comes out:D 

m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
December 1, 2009 1:48:54 AM

Wow, that's a nice sized case. Looks like you could fit a 5970 in there.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2009 3:45:19 AM

L1qu1d said:
I found this thing today:

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index.php?do=ShowProduct...

I'm grabbing it for 80$ cash from a store near the place above:)  My friend owns it:D 

I had a Domino ALC (pretty much the same thing) and besides it being rather quiet, I was disappointed with the cooling performance, I still suggest the Hammer, or another high end air cooler.
m
l
December 1, 2009 4:15:46 AM

Domino is benched 20+ degrees more than this 1.

http://www.guru3d.com/article/corsair-h50-cpu-cooler-re...

I need something quiet, plus its got near 0 evaporation technology, which can end up saving me int he long run.

Apparently the only tedious part is installing the back bracket.

OH and I'm gonna take back the 5870 next week and pick up the 5970 instead, I thought otherwise for tri fire lol

Edit:

They have only good things to say about it, and I just think liquid cooling will help the system alot since it tends to cool better. Although passive cooling is pretty tempting because its so quiet.

What I love though is that it's prefilled. Which is awesome.

http://www.h a r d w a r e c a n u c k s .com/news/cases-power-cooling/corsair-dips-water-hydro-h50/

It censors the website's link for some reason so I spaced it out.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2009 6:23:50 AM

Well, I hope it works out for you then, let me know what your temps are when it is installed. Just seeing that stock Intel HSF in your rig is embaressing, replace it!

Now tell me, why don't you want to do Tri-fire, just wondering ??

OR am I reading it wrong.
m
l
December 1, 2009 1:43:46 PM

Because in general 3way (even with the 285s) is just not what its cracked up to be, and I'm scared because for tri and quad for some reason Nvidia has had a bit of a lead.

In other words I'm just scared not to get what I paid for.

But I'm still debating. I mean I might switch over to the 300s if they are better in Jan, so I might hold off all together.

And yes the stock cooler is embarassing but I have to wait to pick up the other cooler when its in stock. :p 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
December 1, 2009 1:50:45 PM

Yeah, I don't see any reason to rush. At the very least the prices might come down or better/smaller/cooler designs might come out. That's why I'm just sticking with my 4850 for a few more months.
m
l
December 1, 2009 2:13:07 PM

yup:p 

PLus with this crappy monitor i have for now, I can max out even the insane of games. LOl I can run Stalker clear sky maxed out with no worries, but still dips into the high 20s low 30s.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2009 4:26:16 PM

Liquid, look at my avatar, I ran the Stalker Clear Sky benchmark after I got my 2 5870's....it ranked my score higher than 99.62% of all participants, nice, right?
m
l
December 1, 2009 6:30:30 PM

yup its nice:) 
m
l
December 3, 2009 1:07:35 AM

Alright I got it!

i7 920 @ 1.4v 3.6 ghz it idles at 34 C :)  Haven't seen it go past 53 C when on load!!!!!! WOW!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b \ Driver
December 3, 2009 1:17:46 AM

Nice. That is really compact!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 3, 2009 1:21:12 AM

Now go kill some games heheh
m
l
December 3, 2009 1:56:15 AM

Very compact, and near 0 evaporation :)  I have no idea how to refill it:D  LMAO! I'll find out later.

I recommend it to every1, should be the best 80-90$ you spend. Very quiet, very sleek, very sexy, but 1 catch FICKING ANNOYING to assemble (or maybe I didn't do it right:S).

@Jaydeejohn I plan on playing:D  GTA 4 runs like a Dream, I think from now on I'm neven going more than 2 cards, unless I'm doing either eyefinity, or 3D gaming from Nvidia.

P.S

THe Thermal paste is stock, so its not even the high end thermal paste (It was already spread on the heatsync so nicely, I had to use it:p )
m
l
December 3, 2009 2:02:28 AM

L1qu1d said:
Very compact, and near 0 evaporation :)  I have no idea how to refill it:D  LMAO! I'll find out later.

I recommend it to every1, should be the best 80-90$ you spend. Very quiet, very sleek, very sexy, but 1 catch FICKING ANNOYING to assemble (or maybe I didn't do it right:S).

@Jaydeejohn I plan on playing:D  GTA 4 runs like a Dream, I think from now on I'm neven going more than 2 cards, unless I'm doing either eyefinity, or 3D gaming from Nvidia.

P.S

THe Thermal paste is stock, so its not even the high end thermal paste (It was already spread on the heatsync so nicely, I had to use it:p )

How does your h50 idle so low? Maybe i didn't install mine right. At idle @ 1.175 v 3.2ghz idle at 34, but its a lower voltage.

Also why would you buy an i9 so quickly if you've got an i7 already? You should at least wait to see how BD performs too. I was thinking about switchin to an i9 next year but i figured eh its only another half year for BD to come out and i can play games fine now
m
l
December 3, 2009 2:14:16 AM

This is just a temp computer, I need a media center computer, and since I bought this one for almost nothing, I cna grab a new tri sli/fire board. This 1 is microATX, no point in crowding my hardware so much.

My h50 has 2 fans, I installed 1 infront as well:)  I cleaned the CPU completly, other than that, I dunno why ur CPU is so hot:S...

Now I have my CPU at 4.02 GHZ 1.45 (Don't think I need the voltage that high, I was just trying, and it idles at 45 degrees)
m
l
December 3, 2009 2:44:31 AM

L1qu1d said:
This is just a temp computer, I need a media center computer, and since I bought this one for almost nothing, I cna grab a new tri sli/fire board. This 1 is microATX, no point in crowding my hardware so much.

My h50 has 2 fans, I installed 1 infront as well:)  I cleaned the CPU completly, other than that, I dunno why ur CPU is so hot:S...

Now I have my CPU at 4.02 GHZ 1.45 (Don't think I need the voltage that high, I was just trying, and it idles at 45 degrees)

I am thinking about getting another fan, probably will help. However i think the real problem is that i might not have installed it right, so its not making correct contact. Next time i remove it i guess i'll add some AS5 and see if that helps too :) 
m
l
December 3, 2009 3:08:27 AM

Its a good cooled, but remember its compact, so it won't be quite as good as the huge water coolers, but for the size and price, no other water cooler can beat it:D 

Was it a pain in the ars for you too when u set it up, I put the backplate, then screwed in the top plate, and then when placing in the heatsync I needed to unscrew the top a little then put it in, click it inplace
and then rescrew it lol I was afraid if I unscrew it, it wouldn't screw back again, and the back plate would've fell off the back of the board, but it worked out.

Right now I have my voltage @ 1.35ish and it idles at 42 C, Realtemp says 52, but I'll go with what Bios (asus prob) says. really amazing though I managed to stabalize 4.02 GHZ @ 1.35v. I'm very happy with that clock:)  I won't be pushing anything more anytime soon!:) 
m
l
December 3, 2009 3:36:52 AM

L1qu1d said:
Its a good cooled, but remember its compact, so it won't be quite as good as the huge water coolers, but for the size and price, no other water cooler can beat it:D 

Was it a pain in the ars for you too when u set it up, I put the backplate, then screwed in the top plate, and then when placing in the heatsync I needed to unscrew the top a little then put it in, click it inplace
and then rescrew it lol I was afraid if I unscrew it, it wouldn't screw back again, and the back plate would've fell off the back of the board, but it worked out.

Right now I have my voltage @ 1.35ish and it idles at 42 C, Realtemp says 52, but I'll go with what Bios (asus prob) says. really amazing though I managed to stabalize 4.02 GHZ @ 1.35v. I'm very happy with that clock:)  I won't be pushing anything more anytime soon!:) 

Yeah it was kinda a pain for me, b/c when trying to tighten those screws, the backplate fell out!
m
l
!