Horrible Xfire Performance: 2x6870 w/ Phenom II 965

Stephen72000

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
So I've been having the worst experience trying to setup my crossfire, half the time system barely posts and then from there it's just more problems.

Once I finally got my system to accept the xfire I noticed the cards idled super hot. New NZXT Phantom case so I doubt it's lack of air. But they idle at 60C and 45C (huge difference I know).

But the highest I've seen my cards go during game play is 50% each card, same performance as just one card.

So after reading a whole bunch I found my CPU was at 100% all the time, so I overclocked from 3.4 to 3.8 with just multipliers changed.

And then I got worse performance. Soo yeah haha I'm lost on this one.

BF3 is the only game I'm using to test. Was using same map, same settings, etc etc. Without overclocking I was averaging 42FPS on test settings, with overclock I was averaging 34FPS.

So if anyone can shed some light on this it would be great.
Radeon HD6870 1GB x 2 Crossfire [XFX + HIS]
890FXA-GD65 Mother Board
Phenom II Quad Core @3.4GHZ
Corsair H70 Liquid CPU Cooler
Patriot 8GB RAM DDR3 1333

P.S. I am REALLY considering the new ivy bridge, would I have to worry about my bottleneck if I got the i7-3770k?
Also if anyone can link me to an article on how bottleneck REALLY happens I would love to read that!

Stephen72000

Honorable
Apr 18, 2012
I have tried every driver known. This problem started when 12.2 ccc was out, I tested it through 12.3 and now 12.4 is out and it's been a problem the whole time. I've uninstalled and driver sweeped multiple times so I can't fix any of that.

i'm pretty positive I'm bottlenecking I just need someone to tell me haha. But idk why i'm idling so hot, it's really annoying as ***. I figured I had to increase voltage at the same time I increased the multiplier but I never read of having to do that. I think it's just annoying as *** that none of this stuff is working >_< so if you have any ideas let me know.
Currently I just pulled out one card. I'll save up some money and get a new i7-3770k and a Z77 mobo when I can, I'm pretty sick of all this stuff happening and EVERYONE is yelling at me to go intel haha!