HELP PLEASE "reboot and select proper boot device"

superrambo

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
On startup I get an error saying 'reboot and select proper boot device'. I have no idea how to fix it and it just started randomly.. I have heard that it is a hard drive problem. I am running XP SP2

BTW- I have an intel motherboard and when I go into the BIOS there is nothing detected from SATA ports 0-4. Also, when I try to change boot priority, it only shows first priority-CD drive and I cannot change it into anything else...

You need to list your board specs. You may have a board that only works with sata I hardrives, for example. I use maxblast 5.0 to prep all my drives. Just be sure your power supply and sata cables are tight. Xp requires a sata driver; maxblast will install it when you prep the drive, and clone your new drive if you aren't changing boards. I cloned my ssd with no problems.

canadian69

Distinguished
May 1, 2010
Correct me if I am wrong, but this was a previously working hard drive and only now it is not detecting?

If so, double check the cable connections and check in the BIOS to see if the drive detects again. If the drive is secure and it is not being detected in the system BIOS then it needs to be removed and tested in another machine. Likely, if its an older drive, it is malfunctioning.