amundbr

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
I have a question that I am assuming has been asnwered already but I have had no luck finding using the search. So sorry in advance if this has been covered 1000x.

Is it really worth building a new system with SLI/Xfire for the purpose of putting a second GPU in the future? I did this with my last build: 680i SLI, 8800GT. However, I never actually got another 8800GT in there because I didnt NEED the second 8800gt in there. Now I need an upgrade but the 8800gt's are far and few between. I also do not think it makes any logical sense to go that way anyway because there are plenty of single GPUs(GTX 260 / HD 4890), at very affordable prices, that will be much faster than 2x8800gt's. The main reason I ask this question is because the price difference between building a system that will use 1 GPU to multiple is significant. Now that I have rambled I will repeat the question.

Does it pay to build a new system with SLI/Xfire if you do not intend on putting the second GPU until 1 or 2 years later? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Well, not really, if you think about it. SLI/Crossfire is about performance NOW.

Like.

Card A gives a performance of 100 at year one, and costs $100.
Crossfire Card A gives a performance of 180
A year later, card B gives a performance of 140 at year two, and costs $110.

If you bought an HD4850 with the intent of crossfiring it, you would have spend a total of $300 on the two cards, and the cost of the crossfire motherboard. Now you could have bought an HD5850, which would use less power/heat, and save the hassle of crossfire, for the same price. Although only a mite better performance.
Well, not really, if you think about it. SLI/Crossfire is about performance NOW.

Like.

Card A gives a performance of 100 at year one, and costs $100.
Crossfire Card A gives a performance of 180
A year later, card B gives a performance of 140 at year two, and costs $110.

If you bought an HD4850 with the intent of crossfiring it, you would have spend a total of $300 on the two cards, and the cost of the crossfire motherboard. Now you could have bought an HD5850, which would use less power/heat, and save the hassle of crossfire, for the same price. Although only a mite better performance.

Solution

amundbr

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2007
Thanks! With that question answered, I will completely change the subject. haha. Why is the 4870 x2 not made/sold anymore? Was there problems with it or do they only run "X" amount of the x2 series cards?