Strange disk problem

crowler99

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
hello there.

I have an external 3TB WD HDD and got a serious problem.

I've got 2,2TB movies on it took me many of shitty hours to arrange it in right folders with years, covers etc..

well yesterday i plugged my hdd to a iomega screenplay DX cuz i wanted to watch a few movies with the guys, then today i plugged it back in my labtop and then i began to cry :cry:

first it told me it suddenly was a 974GB disk, then i opened a moviefolder and took preperties of it and it was 2,2TB.. hmm strange maby windows just didn't reconize it or something.. then i did a dir/s in cmd and tryed to open one of the last files in the movie dir.. then the moviefile was like 1kb insted of 2GB or something..

then i tried a tons of dif partition recovery softwares but it only got worse, now i cannot get acces to the drive at all...

please help me out, I'm out of ideas :bounce:

crowler99

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
ok i got back my drive now.. but its still very very sad..!!!

about 2,2TB was used before, now all my movie files is les then 1TB total.

some of (aloth!) them is now 1KB size insted of 2-4GB..

does anyone have a sulution? is it possible to recover those files?

btw i fixed my drive with chkdsk /p

crowler99

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2011
well not much help from here...

just got a little bit longer...

problem is now that i have so called "size 0" files and i need to recover them

found a program called recuva (freeware&nice) but it could not read MFT (master file table) so now i'm running photorec and it works fine (potoreg is a part of testdisk - Allso freeware)

9½ hours to go and it recreated 1 movie from those "size zerro" files so far

mavroxur

Distinguished
For whatever reason, it sounds like the drives' partition table or MFT got corrupted. I've had a lot of luck with a program called GetDataBack. It's a paid app however, but it works absolute wonders on corrupted/damaged hard drives. They have a FAT32 and an NTFS version. If your drive is GPT, I don't have a recommendation. You'll just have to do some homework and find a good GPT recovery app.

eathuk

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2011
Had the same prob, iomega dont support over 2TB (not that this is mentioned anywhere in their manuals etc). Your files are gone - I was lucky to have a backup.