Is this enough PSU for the job?

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I have narrowed my search down to these two choices. I am having a tough time of making the right choice for my setup. I will be adding another EVGA GTX 260 later in the year. Is this enough PSU for the job? Thanks

1. SeaSonic X750 Gold
2. Corsair CMPSU-850HX

Rig:
Cooler Master HAF 932
MSI NF750-G55 SLI
AMD Phenom II X2 550 BE
4GB Corsair Dominator GT 1333MHz @7-7-7-24 for Phenom II's BEMP
LITE-ON BD ROM
LG Super-Multi
EVGA GTX 260 SC Edition
Intel X25 V 40GB SSD
Western Digital 1TB
SIGMA 635v PSU

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
I have considered these two because of their reputations and performance. The SeaSonic is considered to be the best PSU by many and the Corsair HX series has the best warranty (7 years). As far as I know. I welcome any suggestions. I have only purchased one PSU (SIGMA 635v) and therefore have only minimal experience in this area.

Both power supplies are excellent high quality psu's. Corsair and Seasonic happen to be the two brands I most often recommend. They consistently earn high marks in technical reviews. They are very stable and reliable. I have used Corsair exclusively for my personal builds and builds for other people. However, for my newest build I got the brand new Seasonic X-650 Gold Certified.

Currently The new Seasonic X gold certified series has the edge over the Corsair HX silver certified series.

In your list of components you list one GTX 260 power supply. Both power supplies are more than than sufficient for an overclocked sytem with one GTX 260.

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Right JL. Additionally, I will adding a second EVGA GTX 260 to this setup. This will be the most power hungry component in the future. Both PSU's have connections for two graphics cards. However, that doesn't mean they can handle the job. This is what I should be asking. I have searched the Manf. sites and found they all have their own power recommendations.

This is my dilemma. The total power consumption in AMPs on any given rail will be limited by combined total of components using that rail. Correct? So, if this is the case. How do I determine the correct formula for rail selection if some rails only have 20 -25 Amps to offer and 1 GPU can draw more than its share of the amps? I'm confused with this issue. Sorry, for all the questions. I believe in doing it right the first time rule.

The +12 volt rails supply power to the cpu, the gpu, and a few other components. The cpu and the gpu are the power hogs.

The power supplies have a data label which indicate the maximum combined wattage for the +12 volt rail(s). To find the combined total amperage simply divide the maximum wattage by 12 volts.

Lets take my X-650. The data label shows a maximum of 648 watts for the +12 volt rail. Dividing that by 12 volts I come up with a combined total of 54 amps. That's more than enough for an overclocked cpu and a couple of HD 5770's in Crossfire mode.

I take it you are concerned with power distribution on the +12 volt rail(s). That's already taken care of. First there is a 24+4 pin power cable and a 4+4 pin for the motherboard/ cpu. Those are the only two power supply cables that can be used for the motherboard. It's pretty much foolproof.

That leaves 4 PCI-e power supply cables for two video cards. On the new Seasonic power supplies there are two sets of PCI-e connections. Each set is marked and surrounded by a gold colored rectangle. Each set in turn contains two PCI-e connections. Each set of two connections is for one video card. Just connect one set of two to one card and the second set of two to the second card. Voila! Problem solved. No need to worry. :D

GenXer

Distinguished
Apr 5, 2009
Ok. Thanks JL. Got it now. Just had to hit me with a bat. That's exactly what I was getting at. The PSU Manf's are not always accurate/truthful when it comes to their PSU performance ratings along the rail(s). I didn't think this would be an issue with the SeaSonic or Corsair. However, I just wanted to be sure before I dropped the $$$ for a new PSU. I was one of "those people" who didn't understand how important the PSU is.

"I try to avoid the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it's a train." :sarcastic:

Thanks for the info!