Sign in with
Your question

Administrator Disabled: Why does the XP allow this?

Last response: in Windows XP
May 30, 2012 2:01:37 AM

Sure do feel silly in disabling the Administrator thinking I could still do stuff with the Guest account. But I'm wondering why would Microsoft allow this to happen knowing you can't do anything without the Admin account and once its disabled you can't seem to get back in to reset it. I set the OS up with a Username but its inaccessible for some bizarre reason. When I go to Switch User in Log Off, its not there. I had Server and Workstation disabled in Services but those have been enabled but I wonder if that caused something else to happen. I've used Computer Management, Local Users and Groups, Users, where I accidentally disabled the Admin account. My Username account is there but there's no info in the Description or Full Name columns. It was working flawlessly before.

Feel like taking a hammer to the thing.
A real soft hammer that will cause absolutely no damage of course.

If anyone has any idea how to reset this or somehow make my Username account work again it would be GREAT to hear from you.

More about : administrator disabled

May 30, 2012 3:33:55 AM

the reason they allow the Admin account to be disabled is that it is the first account a hacker will try to hack into.

therefore it is a good practices to create a separate user account with admin rights and then disable the administrator and guest account
m
l
May 30, 2012 4:09:53 AM

if you have physical access to the computer then you can reset the admin account by booting off the windows installation disc and choosing the repair option.
m
l
Related resources
June 6, 2012 3:14:33 AM

> therefore it is a good practices to create a separate user account with admin rights and then disable the administrator and guest account

I see how to create a new user but how do you give that user admin rights?
m
l
June 13, 2012 2:31:38 PM

nhasian said:
if you have physical access to the computer then you can reset the admin account by booting off the windows installation disc and choosing the repair option.

-------
I have the OS on another hard drive. When I click setup.exe I have the following options:
Install Windows XP
Learn more about the setup process
Install optional Windows components
Perform additional tasks
Check system compatibility

None of those have a repair option. I wonder if that's only possible if I boot from the CD? (Its so much faster working from a hard drive if possible.)
m
l
!