Asus P8Z77-LX Overclock i5-2500k?

Can't find much out about this specific motherboard (the LX Version) and overclocking anywhere, anyone got any estimates on whether it can overclock the i5-2500k much?
Thanks -Tom
17 answers Last reply
More about asus p8z77 overclock 2500k
  1. Well it's the top end Z77 chipset so has all the overclocking features of both Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge, and a mid to low end board with a 4+2 phase power design so I reckon a safe 4.5GHz OC with a decent cooler (Freezer i30 (decent) or if you want to spend a little more, Noctua NH-D14 (the top end of air cooling)).

I have used the previous generation P8Z68-V LX (with the same specs, bar the Z68 chipset) in a 2500K build, so I can't really see the worth of spending the extra on the new board if you're buying a last generation chip.
  2. I've already bought the board (got it at a nice price), aha, thank you! :)
    How would a Hyper 212 Evo perform, I've read quite a few reviews that say it outcools the NH-D14 even though it's cheaper :)
  3. Try the built into BIOS AITuner, it'll try several OC options. And set it to the last safe settings.

I could get up tp 4.2GHz in Turbo Mode on my Asus P8Z68-V Pro. THe only thing it changed was the max turbo to 42.

Now, on my i7 2600K, I can get up to 4.4GHz, with BLCK at 103.00, and max turbo at 43, with my DDR3-1600 ram at 1648. Not alot, but enough.

Although, I never really hit it. That's the great thing about SB and IB CPU, they run at minimal settings you need, to do what you are doing.
  4. 4.2GHz, isn't that a pretty small OC for the i5-2500k, I thought 4.5 was a stable / productivity normal standard for the i5-2500k OC? But thanks all the same :)
  5. Tcshad said:
    I've already bought the board (got it at a nice price), aha, thank you! :)
    How would a Hyper 212 Evo perform, I've read quite a few reviews that say it outcools the NH-D14 even though it's cheaper :)

You're welcome :)

It performs extremely well for the price, but I wouldn't say it beats the Noctua. Enough for a 4.5GHz OC though. For the OC, just do it with a multiplier increase and a voltage boost, I wouldn't suggest the built in overclocking utility.

I suggest giving this a read: http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cpus/2011/01/07/how-to-overclock-the-intel-core-i5-2500k/2
  6. Thanks! One last question, what would you say the most stable OC (if any is) as I want to be using this processor for around 3years hopefully (unless computing gets VERY cheap and a LOT more powerful) aha :)
    So yeah, longevity:OC'dGHz, what're the lifespans like?
  7. As long as you keep voltages within reason and temps down (below ~60C max at load) then it shouldn't make much of a difference at all. The chip will, ruling out other problems, run for much longer than 3 years, even at that kind of OC. I wouldn't push it much higher though.

Do you plan on leaving this on 24/7 or standard computer use?
  8. I don't know how the BIOS is on the Z77 P8Z77-V LX's/LE's, but on the P8Z68-V LX/LE, you can only adjust Vcore with offsets. I would hope that they changed that on the Z77 LX/LE versions, but if not, I can say from my own experience with the P8Z68-V LE that it makes it a little more difficult to OC with, since you don't know the exact voltage you're giving it until you get into Windows.

Anyway, I have to use a +.025 offset (1.328-1.336V because it fluctuates) to be stable at 4.5 (my current every day OC). You're right though, that 4.5 with a 2500K is pretty much the standard every day OC. Also, I OC with the main multi, not Turbo multi's, myself.

The only problems I envision with that board is the 4+2 Power Phase design. Less stable voltages mean less stable OC's as you go higher.
  9. Standard computer use, (which for me is like 8-10 hours a day on), I'm coming from a single core @ 1.6GHz in a laptop, so it's still gonna seem like Superman speeds to me :)
  10. Gaming, video editing, photo editing? :)
  11. Yeah, I'm a YouTuber (lets plays mostly, so recording gaming, making artwork) which is mainly what this is for, but also for watching movies etc :P
  12. Can I ask what graphics card/s you're using? :bounce:
  13. The build atm is still waiting delivery for the ram/hdd and optical drive (it's annoying)... But I will be using intel's integrated graphics for the time being, until June 1st (money day!) then I will be using a 6870 most probably :)
  14. Sounds like an awesome set up, best of luck :p

Edit: What's your Youtube channel? :D
  15. TcshadIRL
    At the moment I do Pokémon let's plays (retro due to super sucky laptop) but I'm going to be doing loads of stuff as soon as it's all set up, and thank you! :D
  16. Subscribed :lol:

You're welcome, good luck :p
  17. Double thanks for the subscription! :D
Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Overclocking Asus Intel i5