Installed new cpu cooler, runs a bit hot or is this normal?

Havox

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Hey guys, new member here I just have a problem (if it is a problem at all) with my new cpu cooler.

I bought an Arctic Cooler Freezer 7 Pro Rev. 2 for my AMD Phenom II X4 965 processor. I had the stock cooler before this.

Today I installed it following the instructions, I even bought an Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. I applied the paste on the heatsink itself, not the cpu since the heatsink area is smaller than the cpu. I used a plastic card to spread the paste and make sure the entire area is covered, I used about a pea sized amount.

Mounted it on and fastened with the screws provided.

I get around 45 degrees Celsius idle temp, and around 65-70 degrees when playing a game. Is this normal? I don't recall my temp with the stock cooler, but this one runs alot quieter.

Is it possible that the thermal paste requires some "burning-in" process before it truly affects temperature? I have an Antec 200 V2 case, not the best but I think air flow is not a problem here.

Thanks for the help guys!

Havox

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2011
Just an update, it might be my fan speed actually. I downloaded SpeedFan and I notice that even at 100% speed I can't get the RPM's on the cooler further than around 1700. It says that the fan speed on this thing can hit 2500 rpm's, I'm not seeing it at all.