Sign in with
Your question

Cooling Problems

Last response: in Components
February 7, 2010 5:37:52 AM

Hello, I am running a Zalman LQ1000 liquid -cooled case and it has been fine since I bought it in December 2008. Recently however I had a problem with the large 220 mm fan that sits on the door holding the coolant. After no more than 2 minutes it started beeping /LEDs flashing and then shuts down the system. When the fan starts in auto mode it begins running at approx 75% speed and then drops off to around 50%. It is at this point that it shuts starts beeping and shuts the system down. If I get to the control panel at this point and switch it onto manual, turning up the fan speed to 100% the rig continues to hum along with no problems even for several hours. I noticed the fan was vibrating more than it probably should and wondered if the controller was programmed to shut down the system if this was happening or if there a fault with the fan. I tried connecting the fan directly to the motherboard and it runs with no problem but then the secondary fan starts beeping and shuts down the system. I have written to the Zalman folks twice on their website but have rec'd no response. I decided I would bite the bullet and buy a new 220mm fan on spec but discover they don't even have one listed in their replacemnt bits section. Subsequently I have been unable to find a replacement on-line from any source even those who supposedly carry Zalman gear. Any ideas out there? Many thanks.

More about : cooling problems

February 8, 2010 2:22:42 AM

genhlisk said:
Hello, I am running a Zalman LQ1000 liquid -cooled case and it has been fine since I bought it in December 2008. Recently however I had a problem with the large 220 mm fan that sits on the door holding the coolant. After no more than 2 minutes it started beeping /LEDs flashing and then shuts down the system. When the fan starts in auto mode it begins running at approx 75% speed and then drops off to around 50%. It is at this point that it shuts starts beeping and shuts the system down. If I get to the control panel at this point and switch it onto manual, turning up the fan speed to 100% the rig continues to hum along with no problems even for several hours. I noticed the fan was vibrating more than it probably should and wondered if the controller was programmed to shut down the system if this was happening or if there a fault with the fan. I tried connecting the fan directly to the motherboard and it runs with no problem but then the secondary fan starts beeping and shuts down the system. I have written to the Zalman folks twice on their website but have rec'd no response. I decided I would bite the bullet and buy a new 220mm fan on spec but discover they don't even have one listed in their replacemnt bits section. Subsequently I have been unable to find a replacement on-line from any source even those who supposedly carry Zalman gear. Any ideas out there? Many thanks.

The best thing i could tell you is go ahead and rma.
February 8, 2010 3:59:08 AM

redefined said:
The best thing i could tell you is go ahead and rma.

I'm with you on that one but its tough to do when Zalman doesn't respond to my messages
Thanks
Related resources
February 8, 2010 7:45:15 AM

That is one fine LC case. I am not sure how long is your warranty on that LC case. Did you try filling RMA here:

http://www.zalman.com/ENG/Contact/RMA/Rma.asp

They also have a phone number at the bottom so try it.

I would also try their forum section.

GL
February 9, 2010 12:10:48 PM

sarsoft said:
That is one fine LC case. I am not sure how long is your warranty on that LC case. Did you try filling RMA here:

http://www.zalman.com/ENG/Contact/RMA/Rma.asp

They also have a phone number at the bottom so try it.

I would also try their forum section.

GL

Hi Sarsoft

Thanks. I have used the RMA site twice without response. Checking out different threads, it looks like these messages either go to Korea or to the USA where there appears to be only a single guy trying to manage replies (someone named Hubert Choi). I believe I am past the one year warranty so will continue to try to sort out what's happening or just buy another case. I agree that the Zalman was a pretty exciting piece of kit but if you can't get any support on it what's the point?

Cheers
February 10, 2010 4:16:38 AM

I never did an rma with zalman before. The only part currently i have with them is the cpu cooler. Hopefully the cooler doesnt go bad.

Its kind of frustrating to not get an answer from them. I just hate to see u get a new case and waste couple of $$$ away. They r a decent company i guess they lack in communications big time. I guess try complaining and writing something in their forum someone might help you out.

Probably something is wrong with the fans or the controller is acting up. It looks that when your fans hit 50% speed the controller orders the shut down it is probably a protection feature so it doesnt cause damage to your parts. Do you remember before did you have these fans at 50% and lower speed before?

February 28, 2010 5:52:08 PM

genhlisk said:

I had the system shutdown problem with my LQ1000 but it was due to low flow rate (below 0.4 l/min).
I believe that the only sensors are for high temperature and for low flow rate.
Please check (when it is in auto mode and it starts beeping) your flow rate. If it is too low then check the water level. If you fill with water and the maximum flow rate (at manual mode) is less than 1l/min than you have to empty the system and refill having in mind that you must degas properly the system.
Hope this works.
!