W/C system maintenance

imran_t

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010
Hi guys,

I am on the verge of buying and setting up my first water-cooling loop. I have done the research and planned everything out.

Here's my only problem, I'm planning on setting it up just before I go on a 1 year work placement abroad.

I've read some threads, here and elsewhere, saying 6 months is the norm. Will leaving it for a year be fine, so that when I come back I can drain and clean it and it will function as new? (i.e. no irreversible damage)

One other point against doing it now is, as a newbie to water-cooling a leak while I'm away will be disastrous but I think I can avoid this by making sure I set it up properly, right?

Thanks in advance. :love:

Solution
Yes, tubing is somewhat permeable, but really not to the point that evaporation would take place or to any measurable degree. If anything, the differences in water level (usually observed in the reservoir) are from displaced air elsewhere in the loop collecting in the reservoir as designed.

Properly setup for long term use, I don't see any issue with this, but I also don't see the issue with draining and refilling either. I personally would opt to drain/fill, but if you do it right the first time, you shouldn't have any issues leaving a well-prepped loop for a few months, either.

toolmaker_03

Honorable
Mar 26, 2012
I'm going to get yelled at for this, ok man if you have truly done the reading than this will make since.
make a mix for your coolant at 80 % distilled water, 20 % 50/50 antifreeze, and about 3 oz of water wetter, use chemical resistant tubing. must have a good pump, and this system will be fine for a year, even a little longer. I use it myself and I know it works for that long no problem.

HugoStiglitz

Distinguished
one of the best things i can reccomend is NON-clear tubing.
get a solid colour so no light can get in. this along with straight Distilled water + Liquid Utopia and you will not have any problems.

Is the system going to be running while you are away (in use by someone else or 24/7 turned on)

imran_t

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

I'll note that down, thanks. If I use a pump top res, will I be able to go the whole year without refilling? (Say if I leave it with a full res). My system is located away from windows and direct sunlight so I don't see any major evaporation happening. I'm not sure about prescribed losses though.

@hugo, My system is out of direct sunlight, will using non-clear tubing still affect it? It will be used for 9 out of 12 months (going on vacation) and it'll be on and off every day after that, being use by tech newbie people.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Shouldn't evaporate- it's a closed loop.

If you are going to be gone, why wouldn't you just drain it and refill when you get back? I don't see it would be an issue if the loop is properly treated to prevent growth, but why just leave a water loop sitting for a year? Just drain before you leave, fill when you get back...don't make this harder than it has to be.

imran_t

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2010

I read that the water vapour can escape even in a closed loop because of tubing permeability, joints...something like that.

I forgot to mention this in my OP (but I did in my previous post), It will be used for 9 months out of 12.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Yes, tubing is somewhat permeable, but really not to the point that evaporation would take place or to any measurable degree. If anything, the differences in water level (usually observed in the reservoir) are from displaced air elsewhere in the loop collecting in the reservoir as designed.

Properly setup for long term use, I don't see any issue with this, but I also don't see the issue with draining and refilling either. I personally would opt to drain/fill, but if you do it right the first time, you shouldn't have any issues leaving a well-prepped loop for a few months, either.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS