Nasty Rumor.. Old AT&T Customers getting screwed soon?

Last response: in Network Providers
March 9, 2005 9:07:27 PM

Hello everyone... You know how it goes, a friend of a friend talked to
Cingular, they talk about your AT&T plan will expire soon when
everything gets entirely switched over.. Of course, Phones and Plan
arent switchable! You will need to trash your telephone, re-apply for
Cingular service, yadda yadda yadda with no 'thank you for not ditching
us when the first merger notice came out'.

I have a Nokia 6820 with Wireless headset, all the accessories and have
just paid to replace the phone under warranty ($15.99 for a 'crossship'
warranty phone.. How's that for incredible?).

Of course, if you plan to leave Cingular through this transition you
will be charged the normal breach of contract fees. $150? $240?

So, please someone tell me this is just a nasty rumor.. I'm one of the
guys that believe the courts are tied up with useless garbage trials,
but this is a lawsuit I would gladly join. Ready to get out the
pitchforks and torches...

Pitney,
befuddled in baltimore
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 5:23:24 AM

<pitney@fastchevy.com> wrote in message
> Hello everyone... You know how it goes, a friend of a friend talked to
> Cingular, they talk about your AT&T plan will expire soon when
> everything gets entirely switched over.. Of course, Phones and Plan
> arent switchable! You will need to trash your telephone, re-apply for
> Cingular service, yadda yadda yadda with no 'thank you for not ditching
> us when the first merger notice came out'.
>
> I have a Nokia 6820 with Wireless headset, all the accessories and have
> just paid to replace the phone under warranty ($15.99 for a 'crossship'
> warranty phone.. How's that for incredible?).
>
> Of course, if you plan to leave Cingular through this transition you
> will be charged the normal breach of contract fees. $150? $240?
>
> So, please someone tell me this is just a nasty rumor.. I'm one of the
> guys that believe the courts are tied up with useless garbage trials,
> but this is a lawsuit I would gladly join. Ready to get out the
> pitchforks and torches...

I suspect that Cingular may no longer renew ATT contracts but they may have
a heck of a time getting people of existing contracts, especially if they
require the purchase (or acquisition) of a new handset. If they attempt to
force you over rest assured that they would not stand a chance defending the
early termination fees in court.

Cheers
TC
March 10, 2005 7:48:37 AM

All that is a LIE. I have an ATT WS plan on 2 different accounts and
one of those is expired now and Cingular has not, in anyway, attempted
to force me off my plan or to buy another phone (it is TDMA). You can
keep your plan and your phone as long as you want but if you switch
plans, then yes, you will be required to sign just as a new customer,
go through credit and pay the activation fee although it is at a
discount.
Related resources
March 10, 2005 5:29:43 PM

"Tony Clark" <curiousgeorge1964@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> I suspect that Cingular may no longer renew ATT contracts but they may
have
> a heck of a time getting people of existing contracts, especially if they
> require the purchase (or acquisition) of a new handset. If they attempt to
> force you over rest assured that they would not stand a chance defending
the
> early termination fees in court.

ATTWS customers were assured that Cingular would continue to honor their
ATTWS rates and terms. As long as you like what you have, you can keep it.
So far there is no evidence to suggest that Cingular has breached that
provision.

They are under no obligation to add lines or change terms and still retain
the ATTWS rates, though. If you want to make changes, like go from TDMA to
GSM, or to add additional lines or get rollover minutes, you will need to
change to a current Cingular plan. Nothing unreasonable about that.

I plan to keep my TDMA phones and ATTWS plan as long as I can, and then I
will switch to Verizon. I have no intention of being strong-armed by
Cingular into paying a new "activation fee," or being treated like a new
customer and giving up my perks. All I want is a phone where the calls go
through, and 99% of my calls are made in my home town, so roaming is
irrelevant to me. Screw Cingular!
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 8:44:52 PM

> ATTWS customers were assured that Cingular would continue to honor their
> ATTWS rates and terms. As long as you like what you have, you can keep it.
> So far there is no evidence to suggest that Cingular has breached that
> provision.
>
> They are under no obligation to add lines or change terms and still retain
> the ATTWS rates, though. If you want to make changes, like go from TDMA to
> GSM, or to add additional lines or get rollover minutes, you will need to
> change to a current Cingular plan. Nothing unreasonable about that.
>
> I plan to keep my TDMA phones and ATTWS plan as long as I can, and then I
> will switch to Verizon. I have no intention of being strong-armed by
> Cingular into paying a new "activation fee," or being treated like a new
> customer and giving up my perks. All I want is a phone where the calls go
> through, and 99% of my calls are made in my home town, so roaming is
> irrelevant to me. Screw Cingular!

You're already saying "Screw Cingular" when you don't even know what's
going to happen yet. Maybe when the number of TDMA customers gets
withing a reasonable limit, Cingular will *offer* to replace your TDMA
phone with a GSM phone, free of charge.

Verizon Wireless is going downhill in many places...if in the future
Cingular is better than Verizon Wireless in your location, would you
still go with the worse Verizon Wireless service?

TH
March 10, 2005 9:02:31 PM

"Tropical Haven" <user@example.net> wrote in message

> You're already saying "Screw Cingular" when you don't even know what's
> going to happen yet.

Yes, that is exactly what I am saying. I didn't choose them, I chose AT&T.
I was never consulted about having my service transferred to them. I have
absolutely no loyalty to them.

Maybe when the number of TDMA customers gets
> withing a reasonable limit, Cingular will *offer* to replace your TDMA
> phone with a GSM phone, free of charge.

I'll be gone before that happens. The world will not stop turning, for
either Cingular or for me, if we part company.

> Verizon Wireless is going downhill in many places...if in the future
> Cingular is better than Verizon Wireless in your location, would you
> still go with the worse Verizon Wireless service?

I rarely roam, and all I want is phone that works, so virtually any carrier
in Philadelphia could serve my modest needs. I like Verizon. They have
always seemed to appreciate my business as a residential and business
landline customer. Their reps have always seemed to know what they were
talking about, rather than sound like minimum-wage rejects. I believe I
could be quite happy with Verizon.

What has Cingular ever done for me?

SBC goes around buying up companies, rather than build up their own
clientele. Often these consolidations evolve into liquidations. In any
event, I did not choose Cingular and I'd leave in a heartbeat if I could
find a better deal. I am fortunate in that I have no unique requirements,
so I can go anywhere. Screw Cingular.
Anonymous
March 10, 2005 11:01:58 PM

> SBC goes around buying up companies, rather than build up their own
> clientele. Often these consolidations evolve into liquidations. In any
> event, I did not choose Cingular and I'd leave in a heartbeat if I could
> find a better deal. I am fortunate in that I have no unique requirements,
> so I can go anywhere. Screw Cingular.

Verizon Wireless = Bell Atlantic Nynex Mobile + GTE Mobilenet + PrimeCo
+ Vodafone/Airtouch.

Verizon is also trying to buy MCI. I hate to tell you, consolidations
and purchases are not unique to SBC.
March 11, 2005 4:14:22 AM

"Kev" <KevinKitchen@gmail.com> wrote in message
> All that is a LIE. I have an ATT WS plan on 2 different accounts and
> one of those is expired now and Cingular has not, in anyway, attempted
> to force me off my plan or to buy another phone (it is TDMA). You can
> keep your plan and your phone as long as you want but if you switch
> plans, then yes, you will be required to sign just as a new customer,
> go through credit and pay the activation fee although it is at a
> discount.

My contract with ATT WS has been up for over two years now. Every indication
I've gotten from ATT WS is that I can keep that plan as long as I like. This
is why I would NEVER keep a contract any longer than I absolutly have to. I
wait the option to leave at a moments notice if I don't like something. I've
never understood this notion of re-upping a contract when it's up. The
contract only benefits the carrier not you.

I figure if they decide to force me over and want to treat me as a new
customer then I'll treat THEM as a new customer and shop around. Chances are
I'll end up on Verizon but if I can get a better deal at that time from
Cingular then thats what I'll go with. It's their job to keep me if they
want my business.
March 11, 2005 8:20:26 PM

Verizon is not GMS and if you want to use your phone in any other
country or even roam in some parts of this country, you are out of luck.
March 13, 2005 5:43:00 AM

> Verizon is not GMS and if you want to use your phone in any other
> country or even roam in some parts of this country, you are out of luck.

I don't think I implied Verizon is GSM? (or GMS for that matter) Or that it
mattered to me.

If you want to roam to my part of the country with GSM then you're out of
luck. The biggest reason I haven't switch to Cingular yet is that the GSM
coverage in my area is no where near as complete as ATT WS TDMA or Verizon's
CDMA. Doesn't do me much good to have roaming ability in another country I
MAY go to some day and not have bad coverage at home. GSM is not yet the end
all solution.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 2:54:38 PM

I was under the impression that all of att's tdma areas were overlaid
with gsm?
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:12:06 PM

Not yet ... I travel quite a bit with my work, and I looked into switching
from ATT TDMA to Cingular GSM ... but the area I travel to most is not yet
integrated. They (Cingular Customer Service Agents) will tell you that the
overlay is complete, but it isn't. Some of their Customer Service Agents are
actually quite honest about it, but most just want to get your money.

--
RCM
To reply remove "nospam"

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I was under the impression that all of att's tdma areas were overlaid with
> gsm?
March 13, 2005 5:21:43 PM

"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> I was under the impression that all of att's tdma areas were overlaid with
> gsm?

Not in Idaho. I know several people who switched to GSM then found the
coverage much worse but Cingular wouldn't let them switch back. Since
Verizon is the only other carrier here who has comparable coverage to TDMA
that's were they're switching to. I don't think Cingular realizes how many
customers they're losing by taking a hard line approach to converting
people.

Cingular, more bars in more places.... and less bars in others.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:21:44 PM

JohnF wrote:
> "Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>
>>I was under the impression that all of att's tdma areas were overlaid with
>>gsm?
>

> Not in Idaho. I know several people who switched to GSM then found the
> coverage much worse but Cingular wouldn't let them switch back. Since
> Verizon is the only other carrier here who has comparable coverage to TDMA
> that's were they're switching to. I don't think Cingular realizes how many
> customers they're losing by taking a hard line approach to converting
> people.
>
> Cingular, more bars in more places.... and less bars in others.

I think the "fault" lies more with the distribution of the GSM network
than with any iindividual provider. As a fellow Idaho resident,
Tmobile's coverage is also spotty icomparison to TDMA and CDMA service,
in my experience, FWIW. I suspect, but obviously can't know, that the
offensive refusal to allow folks to return to TDMA reflects a long-term
plan to eliminate TDMA technology in favor of GSM, as GSM coverage
broadens....
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:21:45 PM

In article <1138n5f9m2t4r22@corp.supernews.com>,
RWEmerson <foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote:

> As a fellow Idaho resident,
> Tmobile's coverage

What you just said is that Tmobile is a fellow Idaho resident.

What you undoubtedly meant to say is that "as a fellow Idaho resident, I
find Tombile's coverage..."

YOU are the Idaho resident. Not Tmobile.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:21:46 PM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> In article <1138n5f9m2t4r22@corp.supernews.com>,
> RWEmerson <foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote:
>

>>As a fellow Idaho resident,
>>Tmobile's coverage
>

> What you just said is that Tmobile is a fellow Idaho resident.
>
> What you undoubtedly meant to say is that "as a fellow Idaho resident, I
> find Tombile's coverage..."
>
> YOU are the Idaho resident. Not Tmobile.

Jeepers... Thanks Elmo! I really appreciate your helping me, and others
here who might not have grasped my intent without your help, understand
what I intended to say. Notwithstanding my poor syntax, *you* apparently
were able to grasp my meaning. With respect to that message, do you have
any actually useful perspective to add. Criticism like yours is an
exceedingly low form of creativity.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 5:21:46 PM

Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> RWEmerson <foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote:
>> As a fellow Idaho resident, Tmobile's coverage
>
> What you just said is that Tmobile is a fellow Idaho resident.

Actually, he said that T-mobile's coverage is a fellow Idahoan.
March 13, 2005 7:10:58 PM

"RWEmerson" <foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote in message
> JohnF wrote:
> > "Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>I was under the impression that all of att's tdma areas were overlaid
with
> >>gsm?
> >

> > Not in Idaho. I know several people who switched to GSM then found the
> > coverage much worse but Cingular wouldn't let them switch back. Since
> > Verizon is the only other carrier here who has comparable coverage to
TDMA
> > that's were they're switching to. I don't think Cingular realizes how
many
> > customers they're losing by taking a hard line approach to converting
> > people.
> >
> > Cingular, more bars in more places.... and less bars in others.
>
> I think the "fault" lies more with the distribution of the GSM network
> than with any iindividual provider. As a fellow Idaho resident,
> Tmobile's coverage is also spotty icomparison to TDMA and CDMA service,
> in my experience, FWIW. I suspect, but obviously can't know, that the
> offensive refusal to allow folks to return to TDMA reflects a long-term
> plan to eliminate TDMA technology in favor of GSM, as GSM coverage
> broadens....

That's why I plan on porting to another carrier when my ATTWS contract
expires in July. Cingular has a culture of indifference to their customers.
Thank goodness for competition. Screw Cingular.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:24:55 PM

In article <11391llkctkn9ee@corp.supernews.com>,
RWEmerson <foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote:

> Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:
> > In article <1138n5f9m2t4r22@corp.supernews.com>,
> > RWEmerson <foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote:
> >

> >>As a fellow Idaho resident,
> >>Tmobile's coverage
> >

> > What you just said is that Tmobile is a fellow Idaho resident.
> >
> > What you undoubtedly meant to say is that "as a fellow Idaho resident, I
> > find Tombile's coverage..."
> >
> > YOU are the Idaho resident. Not Tmobile.
> >

> Jeepers... Thanks Elmo! I really appreciate your helping me, and others
> here who might not have grasped my intent without your help, understand
> what I intended to say. Notwithstanding my poor syntax, *you* apparently
> were able to grasp my meaning. With respect to that message, do you have
> any actually useful perspective to add. Criticism like yours is an
> exceedingly low form of creativity.

Use proper grammar, and you'll get your point across.

Take shortcuts, and you won't.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 10:24:56 PM

Elmo P. Shagnasty said, more or less, as follows on 3/13/2005 5:24 PM:
> In article <11391llkctkn9ee@corp.supernews.com>,
> RWEmerson <foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote:
>

>>Elmo P. Shagnasty wrote:

>>>What you just said is that Tmobile is a fellow Idaho resident.
>>>
>>>What you undoubtedly meant to say is that "as a fellow Idaho resident, I
>>>find Tombile's coverage..."
>>>
>>>YOU are the Idaho resident. Not Tmobile.
>>>

>>Jeepers... Thanks Elmo! I really appreciate your helping me, and others
>>here who might not have grasped my intent without your help, understand
>>what I intended to say. Notwithstanding my poor syntax, *you* apparently
>>were able to grasp my meaning. With respect to that message, do you have
>>any actually useful perspective to add. Criticism like yours is an
>>exceedingly low form of creativity.
>

> Use proper grammar, and you'll get your point across.
>
> Take shortcuts, and you won't.

It's not grammar. dear Elmo. It's syntax. Get yourself a dictionary.

You understood exactly what my meaning was, so your comment was both
unnecessary and an especially good example of pedantry.
Anonymous
March 13, 2005 11:37:48 PM

> That's why I plan on porting to another carrier when my ATTWS contract
> expires in July. Cingular has a culture of indifference to their customers.
> Thank goodness for competition. Screw Cingular.

Are you also going to port to another newsgroup?
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 12:41:55 AM

In article <1139t1cdno04gc6@corp.supernews.com>,
RWEmerson <foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote:

> > Take shortcuts, and you won't.
> >
> It's not grammar. dear Elmo. It's syntax. Get yourself a dictionary.
>
> You understood exactly what my meaning was, so your comment was both
> unnecessary and an especially good example of pedantry.

Ah. So you know that you were wrong, and your method of acknowledging
that is to go on the attack.

Attack away. Doesn't change the fact that you improperly constructed
your sentence, in a way a 6th grader is taught to avoid.

THAT'S what's gotten to you.
March 14, 2005 5:53:03 AM

> > That's why I plan on porting to another carrier when my ATTWS contract
> > expires in July. Cingular has a culture of indifference to their
customers.
> > Thank goodness for competition. Screw Cingular.
>
> Are you also going to port to another newsgroup?

No but I am going to port you right over to my killfile right now!
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 6:07:46 AM

> Ah. So you know that you were wrong, and your method of acknowledging
> that is to go on the attack.
>
> Attack away. Doesn't change the fact that you improperly constructed
> your sentence, in a way a 6th grader is taught to avoid.
>
> THAT'S what's gotten to you.

"Ah." "...you improperly constructed your sentence"

I have never known "Ah." to be a complete sentence in the English
language. Is there an implied subject and an implied verb? I was under
the impression that "ah" was used a verbal filler during spoken
language, much like "um", "oh", "and", and similar words that can be
used as verbal fillers.

TH
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 6:12:19 AM

>>>That's why I plan on porting to another carrier when my ATTWS contract
>>>expires in July. Cingular has a culture of indifference to their
>>
> customers.
>
>>>Thank goodness for competition. Screw Cingular.
>>
>>Are you also going to port to another newsgroup?
>
> No

That's too bad, since you like Verizon so much, you'd be a better match
to be a resident in alt.cellular.verizon
March 14, 2005 7:48:50 AM

On 11 Mar 2005 17:20:26 -0800, "Kev" <KevinKitchen@gmail.com> wrote:

>Verizon is not GMS and if you want to use your phone in any other
>country or even roam in some parts of this country, you are out of luck.

Verizon isn't even GSM!

March 14, 2005 7:51:48 AM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 12:27:06 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>In article <1138n5f9m2t4r22@corp.supernews.com>,
> RWEmerson <foolish_consistency@hobgoblin.com> wrote:
>
>> As a fellow Idaho resident,
>> Tmobile's coverage
>
>What you just said is that Tmobile is a fellow Idaho resident.
>
>What you undoubtedly meant to say is that "as a fellow Idaho resident, I
>find Tombile's coverage..."
>
>YOU are the Idaho resident. Not Tmobile.

Don't argue with him! He is Tmobile.

March 14, 2005 7:54:03 AM

On Sun, 13 Mar 2005 21:41:55 -0500, "Elmo P. Shagnasty"
<elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:

>Ah. So you know that you were wrong, and your method of acknowledging
>that is to go on the attack.
>
>Attack away. Doesn't change the fact that you improperly constructed
>your sentence, in a way a 6th grader is taught to avoid.

This ain't a freakin' school. Mind your own damned business and go
back to teaching underprivileged children in Asia.
March 14, 2005 3:12:21 PM

Joseph wrote:
> <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote:
>>Ah. So you know that you were wrong, and your method of acknowledging
>>that is to go on the attack.
>>
>>Attack away. Doesn't change the fact that you improperly constructed
>>your sentence, in a way a 6th grader is taught to avoid.
>
> This ain't a freakin' school. Mind your own damned business and go
> back to teaching underprivileged children in Asia.

Just how is he to know that that isn't exactly what he has been doing?
Anonymous
March 14, 2005 3:12:46 PM

Joseph wrote:
> On 11 Mar 2005 17:20:26 -0800, "Kev" <KevinKitchen@gmail.com> wrote:
>>Verizon is not GMS and if you want to use your phone in any other
>>country or even roam in some parts of this country, you are out of luck.
>
> Verizon isn't even GSM!

No MSG, either!
March 14, 2005 5:54:41 PM

"Elmo P. Shagnasty" <elmop@nastydesigns.com> wrote in message
> Use proper grammar, and you'll get your point across.
>
> Take shortcuts, and you won't.

Funny, I understood his point just fine. You're probably the only person
here that was confused.
Anonymous
March 21, 2005 10:06:49 AM

Kev wrote:
> All that is a LIE. I have an ATT WS plan on 2 different accounts and
> one of those is expired now and Cingular has not, in anyway,
attempted
> to force me off my plan or to buy another phone (it is TDMA). You can
> keep your plan and your phone as long as you want but if you switch
> plans, then yes, you will be required to sign just as a new customer,
> go through credit and pay the activation fee although it is at a
> discount.

Hardly a lie.

I have been with ATT/Suncom in the Hampton Roads VA area for several
yesrs. Just switched my 3 TDMA phones to GSM phones (same plan) 2
months ago when I renewed for 2 more years. Now I like everyone else in
this area are receiving letters from Cingular being told that our
phones are not supported on the Cingular network and need to come in
before June 1st to get a new phone. Of course they are being so
gracious as to offer them at a discount if you agree to an additional
two year contract. Oh , they do offer one for free that has half the
features of my current phones and half the talk/standby time.

Yep, I smell scumbags coming to town.
Anonymous
March 23, 2005 8:02:33 PM

In <X%XYd.131637$Th1.57986@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net> on Sun, 13 Mar
2005 14:21:43 GMT, "JohnF" <u85721@yahoo.com> wrote:

>"Jerome Zelinske" <jeromez1@earthlink.net> wrote in message
>> I was under the impression that all of att's tdma areas were overlaid with
>> gsm?
>
>Not in Idaho. I know several people who switched to GSM then found the
>coverage much worse but Cingular wouldn't let them switch back. Since
>Verizon is the only other carrier here who has comparable coverage to TDMA
>that's were they're switching to. I don't think Cingular realizes how many
>customers they're losing by taking a hard line approach to converting
>people.

<http://www.wi-fitechnology.com/displayarticle1764.html&...;:

Cingular, which is owned by SBC Communications Inc. (NYSE: SBC) and
BellSouth Corporation (NYSE: BLS), completed its acquisition of AT&T
Wireless on Oct. 26, 2004, creating a wireless provider that now owns
spectrum licenses covering a total population of 290 million and
currently serves all of the nation’s top 100 metropolitan areas.

In its first quarter of combined operations, the new Cingular
delivered a net increase in subscribers of nearly 1.8 million on a
pro forma basis, which incorporates results from AT&T Wireless for
the first 25 days of October, includes net additions from other
acquired properties and excludes results from markets that Cingular
has agreed to divest. This increase was more than double Cingular’s
pro forma net subscriber additions in both the preceding quarter
(808,000) and the year-ago fourth quarter (736,000). It was
Cingular’s highest net-add quarter ever, when historical results of
Cingular and AT&T Wireless are combined. Not counting net customer
additions of AT&T Wireless for the first 25 days of the quarter and
other pro forma adjustments for dispositions and other acquisitions,
reported net customer additions were 1.7 million.

Cingular ended 2004 with 49.1 million total subscribers.

Cingular’s gross customer additions in the fourth quarter totaled 5.7
million on a pro forma basis, the highest quarter ever when
historical results of the two companies are combined, and average
monthly pro forma subscriber churn declined significantly versus pro
forma results for the third quarter of 2004 and the fourth quarter of
2003.

[MORE]

>Cingular, more bars in more places.... and less bars in others.

From the same article:

In addition to robust subscriber growth, during the fourth quarter,
Cingular achieved solid progress in three additional key focus areas:
growing its GSM customer base, retaining former AT&T Wireless
subscribers by transitioning them to new Cingular plans, and reducing
churn.

At year’s end, more than 65 percent of Cingular’s subscriber base was
GSM-equipped, up from a pro forma 57 percent at the end of the third
quarter of 2004. More than 8 percent of Cingular’s customer base
upgraded handsets during the quarter -- almost entirely onto GSM.

Also during the final two months of the quarter, Cingular converted
more than 1 million AT&T Wireless subscribers to new Cingular
postpaid plans, as subscribers responded positively to Cingular’s
broad network coverage and attractive features.

Cingular’s progress in growing its GSM base and its network
improvements contributed to significantly improved churn levels. Pro
forma average monthly churn improved to 2.6 percent -- 60 basis points
lower than pro forma churn for the third quarter of 2004.

In addition, starting in the first quarter of 2005, Cingular will
adopt a new calculation for reseller churn that is more consistent
with some of its major competitors. Cingular currently includes
reseller disconnects in its churn calculation. In the future,
Cingular will base its calculations on total reseller net additions
or reductions, in line with industry peers. If this methodology had
been in place in the fourth quarter, Cingular’s pro forma churn would
have been 2.4 percent overall.