Weird Keyboard Problem, Pls. Help.

About a month ago, some keys on my Vaio PCG-F560 started
'misbehaving': all of a sudden, F2/F4/F6/F8/Home/digit 6/Delete would
stop responding. I was able to get them going (sort of) by holding the
offending key pressed until it starts responding, then all the other
'bad' keys would start working for a while. Lately, I was unable to
get them working at all. IMO, this is not a spyware problem, since an
external keyboard connected to my Vaio does not exibit this problem.

I'd like to order a replacement keyboard from Sony, but I'm not sure
if the problem is in the keybard unit itself. Oddly, I couldn't find
any diagnostic software available for my Vaio. BTW, I did take the
keyboard out & cleaned it with compressed air, but that didn't help.

Any help would be appreciated...
2 answers Last reply
More about weird keyboard problem help

    Roman wrote:
    > About a month ago, some keys on my Vaio PCG-F560 started
    > 'misbehaving': all of a sudden, F2/F4/F6/F8/Home/digit 6/Delete would
    > stop responding. I was able to get them going (sort of) by holding the
    > offending key pressed until it starts responding, then all the other
    > 'bad' keys would start working for a while. Lately, I was unable to
    > get them working at all. IMO, this is not a spyware problem, since an
    > external keyboard connected to my Vaio does not exibit this problem.
    >
    > I'd like to order a replacement keyboard from Sony, but I'm not sure
    > if the problem is in the keybard unit itself. Oddly, I couldn't find
    > any diagnostic software available for my Vaio. BTW, I did take the
    > keyboard out & cleaned it with compressed air, but that didn't help.
    >
    > Any help would be appreciated...

    IMO if the key function can be restored by pressing firmly, the keypad
    electrical contacts are fouled or are breaking down. A replacement
    keyboard appears in my crystal ball. Try eBay first.

    "Quaoar" <quaoar@tenthplanet.net> wrote in message news:<V6mdnd93puCP2UHdRVn_iw@comcast.com>...

    > IMO if the key function can be restored by pressing firmly, the keypad
    > electrical contacts are fouled or are breaking down. A replacement
    > keyboard appears in my crystal ball. Try eBay first.

    Well, that's the thing: how can a GROUP of keys start or stop working
    at the same time? It's not so much 'pressing firmly', just holding the
    key down for a while did the trick. I'm concerned that the keyboard
    controller may be the problem. Since the controller is on the
    motherboard, I'd hate to spend $$ on a keyboard, unless I know for
    sure that the problem lies there... Thanks!

VAIO Keyboards Laptops