Two routers, one house, seperate networks

PandaBear01

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2009
I currently have one router with wireless capabilities. I have a PC using a wired connection, and a laptop connected with it wirelessly. I recently got an Xbox 360, i wired it to the router, but the online lag is horrible. Is it possible that i could buy another router and somehow use the same phone line, but have a different connection with it? That way, i can have my Xbox with it's own connection, without affecting my computers. Is this possible? If so, any tips on how to get this accomplished?

You can't have 2 connections on the same phone line, but you could possibly get a faster DSL line or get a dry line for the second DSL.

To make it faster, get a better link from your ISP (which obviously will be more expensive, but you sort of get what you pay for). What's your broadband link type (DSL, cable, satellite) and speed?

Low latency means that pings to your ISP don't take forever. How many milliseconds does it take when you ping a server at your ISP? For comparison, a ping to my ISP takes 23-28 ms and I have a 2.4 Mbps DSL line. In addition, your ISP could be on a slow or overloaded backbone and that will also impact transfer rates and latency.

cire1977

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
enable QOS quality of service for the MAC address of the xbox 360. Do this on the Linksys. It worked for me. You can find the MAC address somewhere in the logs of the Linksys (check dhcp tables, etc.)

JJ