Sign in with
Your question

Needs to unplug PC to POST or BOOT

Last response: in Components
February 7, 2010 7:03:16 AM

Hi everyone

Can anyone help me pls? My Core i7 PC would not POST to BIOS unless I switch the PSU on/off or unless I unplug and re- plug the power cord of the PSU. All the fans and mobo and hard drives would run but nothing appears on the screen, just blank. Initially I thought this was caused by a faulty PSU. But the problem still persisted even after I swapped out my old 750 watt PSU to a brand new Zalman 1,000 watt unit. So in short, my PC will ONLY POST and boot to Windows if, and only if I unplug the system from the wall outlet. My system specs are as follows: Core i7 920 OC'd to 3.6Ghz, RAM: Mushkin 6GB, mobo Intel DX58SO, GPUs: dual ATI 5870's in crossfire, 2x 500GB hard drives in RAID 0 array. OS: Vista 64bit. Other than the PC not booting up as stated earlier, it's working fine when it does boot to Windows. I don't think this is a PSU problem coz the Zalman 1K watt I bought is rated for Crossfire and SLI configs. I don't hear any unusual sounds or smell anything burnt or notice anything else unsual except this boot up issue. I appreciate any ideas or help you can give me..Thanks.

More about : unplug post boot

February 7, 2010 7:26:38 AM

sounds like a powersupply or board issue to me...

process of elimination.

take out one of the video cards, and if that dont work swap them over to see if the video card is faulty.

take the processor back to its usual settings and try again. ( ie dont over clock it )
m
l
a c 144 ) Power supply
February 7, 2010 1:03:22 PM

You probably have a problem in the standby circuits of your PSU. (Yes, I knoew you changed PSU's.)

Hellboy has very good advice. When you have problems with a computer, put everything back to stock, single video card, and if you must, put in an old working single drive.
m
l
Related resources
February 7, 2010 6:00:39 PM

Thanks to both of you guys..So far I'm in the process of elimination.I took out the GPUs with a back up, same thing..2 PSUs so far demonstrate the same problem. All settings are now stock.I noticed that when my PC doesn't post, all components are running even the drives are spinning..BUT I don't see any HDD light activity.So could it be possible that the issue is my RAID 0 drives or should I zero in on the mobo?TY
m
l
February 7, 2010 6:01:32 PM

Thanks to both of you guys..So far I'm in the process of elimination.I took out the GPUs with a back up, same thing..2 PSUs so far demonstrate the same problem. All settings are now stock.I noticed that when my PC doesn't post, all components are running even the drives are spinning..BUT I don't see any HDD light activity.So could it be possible that the issue is my RAID 0 drives or should I zero in on the mobo?TY
m
l
February 7, 2010 6:04:06 PM

rma the motherboard.. I doubt 2 psu's would be faulty...

please come back and let us know the answer and if we can be any more help.

Personally I would go for an Asus or a Gigabyte as intel's are not flexible for overclocking.
m
l
!