Sign in with
Your question

Cheap HTPC

Last response: in Systems
November 25, 2009 10:42:46 PM

I haven't been on here in a couple years, but the holidays are coming, and I'd like to throw together a cheap (very cheap) computer which can play Blu Ray files (.mkv) without a hitch. I have no idea what's out right now in the market. I'll need everything but a hard drive. Can anyone suggest some parts? Thank you.

More about : cheap htpc

November 26, 2009 12:25:54 AM

qwazzy said:
I haven't been on here in a couple years, but the holidays are coming, and I'd like to throw together a cheap (very cheap) computer which can play Blu Ray files (.mkv) without a hitch. I have no idea what's out right now in the market. I'll need everything but a hard drive. Can anyone suggest some parts? Thank you.

There is the "Recommended Builds by Usage" thread here at TH.
Similar idea: "Guide to Building a HD HTPC" at AVSforums.
I just put together an Athlon II X2 245, GIGABYTE GA-MA785GM-US2H, Silverstone Grandia GD04 with other existing parts. I have yet to test it but I think it will be fine.
Good Luck!
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
November 26, 2009 4:18:46 AM

Minus off that WD Green hehe What i do is advise my clients on decent wifi kb/mouse with enuff range for them to do their thang from their couches with there LCD TVs hehe Those RF ones with 10 feet range should cut it
m
l
Related resources
November 29, 2009 5:11:10 AM

Even cheaper than that. :p 

Thanks guys, but I ended up just getting a WD TV box that I'll hack so I can wireless stream videos from my computer. Total came out to be around $90 on Newegg. :D 
m
l
November 29, 2009 6:07:09 PM

I'd check your Video's on the WDTV before you do too much high fiving! ;)  I had to convert all my VOB files to mkv or MPEG2 before it would play them right. If I decide to transcode a video sometimes NERO works best, sometimes AVS remaker or converter for WDTV Playback. I can see no rhyme or reason for this.....
m
l
December 6, 2009 6:35:04 PM

Most of my files work. VOB files work without a problem. Yesterday I tried to watch a movie in MKV and it wouldn't play it past a certain point.

For the amount I paid, I'm pretty happy. :) 

The only thing I don't like is the fact that there's a delay between the button presses and the time the actual menu movies. It drives me crazy.
m
l
!