Is it better to run SLI @ x8/x8 or single card @ x16?

Solution
You are correct... SLI at x8/x8 for ANY card is always better than ANY single same card at x16 (you may find some older games that don't scale as well in SLI, so it isn't 100% of the time better).

However, I would recommend running just one GTX 470 and upgrade down the road to a second card, once performance decreases. When you are running an SLI setup from the start, it leaves you no upgrade path outside of purchasing new card(s)... IMO

tecmo34

Administrator
If the cards are equal, it will be better running two cards in SLI at x8,x8 versus one card at x16.

Now, if you are running say a SLI GTX260 or a single GTX470, the single GTX470 would be the route to go, so you have room to upgrade to SLI down the road. You might have some initial FPS lost (still very much playable) but once you add another GTX470 down the road, your performance would be much much better!

cognitoo

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
yes the question was indeed in reference to running the identical cards in SLI or Singly:

ONE gtx 260 at x16 or 2 gtx 260's at x8/x8

OR

ONE GTX 470 at x16 or 2 gtx 470's at x8/x8

I have the MOBO, and i am trying to decide whether to go SLI at x8/x8 or Single at x16 with ANY card.

Thank you tecmo34 ... so SLI at x8/x8 for ANY card is always better than ANY single card at x16? Just comfirming.

And you're saying that a single gtx 470 at x16 does not perform as well as 2 gtx 260's in SLI at x8/x8??

Thanks! :hello:

tecmo34

Administrator
You are correct... SLI at x8/x8 for ANY card is always better than ANY single same card at x16 (you may find some older games that don't scale as well in SLI, so it isn't 100% of the time better).

However, I would recommend running just one GTX 470 and upgrade down the road to a second card, once performance decreases. When you are running an SLI setup from the start, it leaves you no upgrade path outside of purchasing new card(s)... IMO

Solution

tecmo34

Administrator

You have the thread setup as a discussion thread, which doesn't provide best answers. Your thread needs to be a question thread for you to be able to select a best answer.

If you want to select a best answer, just do a full edit of your original post and at the top you will see a tab to make it a question. Click on the tab, hit the submit button and your thread will be come a question thread and you can select a best answer from there.

cognitoo

Distinguished
May 9, 2010
LOL ... I'll try ... here goes!!

sayd i am 'not allowed to edit this page' ... only quick edit seems to work ... ?

How about I start a new thread as a question? I just wanted to give you credit for the best answer ..

tecmo34

Administrator
Your best option is to PM a Moderator (Randomizer or 4ryan6 come to mind, which who I dealt with most for things) and request them to select which ever post you want as the best answer. You can PM a Moderator by clicking on their name on the main forum page and hit send private message.