Davetrick

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2008
Hi !

I intend to buy a new graphics card for my one year old rig. I'm looking for a card which would run especially well Call of Duty World at War and Modern Warfare 2. My current rig doesn't run CoD WaW well at all. I've noticed that it doesn't cope with the vegetation: as soon as I find myself in a place with lots trees and grass the game slows down and becomes unplayable. I'm guessing that my Graphics card is responsible for this problem (even though it's not that old :??: ) and that's why I'm looking to buy a new one. If you think it's something else causing this problem please tell me. :)

Here's my current rig :

Mobo: Asus P5Q Pro
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB DDR 2
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.00GHz
Memory: OCZ ReaperX HPC 2 x 2048 MB DDR2 / Bus 1066 MHz / PC2-8500 / CL 5-5-5-18
Case: Antec Sonata III 500
Power Supply: 500W
Screen: Samsung SyncMaster T220 22" LCD / 1680x1050

I've already browsed the list of the latest cards that are on offer and I'm now hesitating between the Geforce GTX 285 1GB and the Radeon HD 5850 1GB. I've seen a few benchmarks which show that both cards are pretty much the same, however the HD 5850 is a bit cheaper and seems to be slightly better. Which one should I buy, knowing that I want it specifically for CoD ? Or should I buy another card (in the same price range) ?

Here are links to benchmarks :

hothardware.com/Articles/AMD-ATI-Radeon-HD-5850-Performance-Review/?page=5
youtube.com/watch?v=wOcqQsu4U-E

jonnyboyC

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
go with the HD 5850 without a doubt. Like you said it's roughly the same performance sometimes faster, it's cheaper and it's directx 11 which gives it more staying power. Besides that it'll use less power, run cooler, fans will be quieter, and when the driver mature more then that gap you see between the gtx 285 and the hd 5850 will widen. I feel that this is a pretty unbias option because i currently have a gtx 275 in my rig

perfrel.gif

power_peak.gif

power_maximum.gif