Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Update bios = loss in performance and Wrong RAM Volts

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 2, 2010 10:40:59 PM

I have a GA-MA790XT-UD4P and I updated my bios from F4 to F6 because I'm upgrading my processor next week and the site claims that I need to have the F6 version for the CPU I want (Phenom II X4 965 C3). I upgraded Bios, all went well ( I think, I've never done this before). CPU-Z claims that it is version F6. But I have gotten a noticeable loss in FPS. I ran 3DMark06 and have a 500 point score lower.


ALSO, after updating, my RAM has a regular volt of 1.5, and now It runs my RAM at 1.6 . Will this affect anything? AMD Overdrive won't even let me get below 1.6
I don't have an option for under clocking.

I have rechecked and double checked and triple checked my settings in my bios, and everything seems to be running at the desired speeds. My Ram is running at 1333Mhz, my CPU is at 2.8 which is stock, and my PCI-E slot seems to be running at the desired speeds. What other issues could I be running into here?

Also, I am using 8GB of this ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And my CPU Is Phenom II X3 720

I've never messed with ram timings or anything but I see that they are at stock speeds, but I did notice they are at 2T. Is that correct, too?

I'm trying to narrow down why it's being effected.
a b V Motherboard
June 2, 2010 11:35:59 PM

bdonedge said:
I have a GA-MA790XT-UD4P and I updated my bios from F4 to F6 because I'm upgrading my processor next week and the site claims that I need to have the F6 version for the CPU I want (Phenom II X4 965 C3). I upgraded Bios, all went well ( I think, I've never done this before). CPU-Z claims that it is version F6. But I have gotten a noticeable loss in FPS. I ran 3DMark06 and have a 500 point score lower.


ALSO, after updating, my RAM has a regular volt of 1.5, and now It runs my RAM at 1.6 . Will this affect anything? AMD Overdrive won't even let me get below 1.6
I don't have an option for under clocking.

I have rechecked and double checked and triple checked my settings in my bios, and everything seems to be running at the desired speeds. My Ram is running at 1333Mhz, my CPU is at 2.8 which is stock, and my PCI-E slot seems to be running at the desired speeds. What other issues could I be running into here?

Also, I am using 8GB of this ram: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And my CPU Is Phenom II X3 720

I've never messed with ram timings or anything but I see that they are at stock speeds, but I did notice they are at 2T. Is that correct, too?

I'm trying to narrow down why it's being effected.


How many times have you used 3DMark? I've noticed that it often drops around 300 points from the first run to the second, then another 100 points for the third, etc until eventually you're around 500 marks down.

As for the DRAM voltage, it's probably an update to address badly-programed RAM. There's one brand in particular that has difficulty running its default settings using default voltage.
m
0
l
June 2, 2010 11:48:02 PM

That was the first time. I overclocked my CPU and changed my ram timings to 8-8-8-20-27

opposed to

9-9-9-24-33

And got 16638, which is the best I've gotten before. But that was probably due to RAM timings.

Should I be running my DDR3 at 1T or 2T? Don't know much about it, but read that 4 sticks should be left at 2T.

The problem is I don't know what the default settings were to begin with.

Is .1 Volts a dangerous amount to add? I just don't see why I can't even downclock as an option. Or even in AMD overdrive.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 12:07:09 AM

bdonedge said:
That was the first time. I overclocked my CPU and changed my ram timings to 8-8-8-20-27

opposed to

9-9-9-24-33

And got 16638, which is the best I've gotten before. But that was probably due to RAM timings.

Should I be running my DDR3 at 1T or 2T? Don't know much about it, but read that 4 sticks should be left at 2T.

The problem is I don't know what the default settings were to begin with.

Is .1 Volts a dangerous amount to add? I just don't see why I can't even downclock as an option. Or even in AMD overdrive.


You don't downclock it to get the lower voltage, you go into BIOS and set it manually under the M.I.T. menu, where it says "DDR3 Voltage Control"
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 1:00:09 AM

Going there doesn't allow me to set it lower than what it's at, though.

Does that "high" of voltage offer some issues?
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 2:02:43 AM

bdonedge said:
Going there doesn't allow me to set it lower than what it's at, though.

Does that "high" of voltage offer some issues?


I think the voltage you can set goes down as low as 1.35V (maybe lower). 1.60V shouldn't hurt the RAM, but there's no need to use it.
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 5:04:17 AM

Crashman said:
I think the voltage you can set goes down as low as 1.35V (maybe lower). 1.60V shouldn't hurt the RAM, but there's no need to use it.



I thought the same thing, but in the bios I am unable to go any lower than 1.6

If it won't effect my RAM I'm not particularly worried about it. I was reading online that a lot of people had issues with USB Mouse in the integrated peripherals being turned to "on", so I turned mine off but didn't have much of an affect.

By "there's no need to use it", were you referring to lowering the voltage, or have it being that high?

I just don't like feeling like my RAM is unintentionally overclocked.
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 5:40:53 AM

bdonedge said:
I thought the same thing, but in the bios I am unable to go any lower than 1.6

If it won't effect my RAM I'm not particularly worried about it. I was reading online that a lot of people had issues with USB Mouse in the integrated peripherals being turned to "on", so I turned mine off but didn't have much of an affect.

By "there's no need to use it", were you referring to lowering the voltage, or have it being that high?

I just don't like feeling like my RAM is unintentionally overclocked.

It's not overclocked if it's running the right speed. As for being overvolted, it will die sooner, probably in three or four years rather than seven or eight.
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 6:01:09 AM

Yeah, well I guess the best thing I can do is wait for it to die, or spend to much time updating and trying different bios versions..
m
0
l
June 5, 2010 5:39:49 PM

I asked gigabyte, and they just told me to upgrade the bios to the latest version. I have heard NOTHING except issues with F7, can anyone clarify their experience using F7 with Mobo MA790XT-UD4P
m
0
l
!