I am new to this Forum, so I would like to say hello to everyone.
I would be grateful for some advice. My computer is a generic x64 running a 64 bit dual core AMD K8 processor.
There appears to be an overheating problem with the cpu. After about 15-20 minutes of running the computer will automatically shutdown. After it had cooled down, I loaded Core Temperature CPU monitor. I ran a couple of programs, just to load the cpu. One of the cpu core temperatures quickly reached 125 degrees and subsequently shut down.
I unclipped the fan/sink assembly and removed all the existing thermal paste and applied a fresh coat. On booting up the computer it shut down again after about 20 minutes.
The PC has working PSU, case and CPU fans? Perhaps it is a faulty CPU? Has anyone else experienced a similar problem?
Too much thermal compound,
Heat sink not properly seated,
Heat Sink fan not turning at full RPMs
Poor case airflow,
Faulty M/B temp sensor,
Or all of the above.
That may not help much but you'll have to go through a process of elimination until you discover the true problem, use as little thermal compound as possible and check the contact footprint for even coverage.
Sometimes the heat sink fan begins to die and run slower, it appears to be running but not fast enough to properly cool.
If the P/S is failing it could still boot, but not be supplying the power needed causing overheating.