• Compatibility
  • Intel
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
June 3, 2010 12:28:41 AM

I am planning to buy a server based desktop

Xeon X3440 2.53 GHz
Intel MB S3420GPLC

My question is, Can I use non-ecc unbuffered RAM, though the intel website does not recommend non-ecc ram in server environment, however since I'm not using for any critical task, I'm assuming ithsould not have any problem?

Secondly what should be the appropriate power supply unit, since a variety of them is available from 300- 750 watts.

Please advice.

Thanks in advance.

More about : compatible memory

a b V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 12:40:55 PM

I found no references to ECC in the system datasheet at all, it supports both unbuffered and registered memory, so sounds like you are fine with unbuffered non-ecc.

As for the PSU, that depends on how much stuff you are putting into this rig.
m
l
a c 304 V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 2:46:12 PM

Hi newcomer and welcome to the Tom's hardware forum.

U can use non-ecc unbuffered without problems but Intel don't recommend use that RAM type because when u work with server u always try to avoid errors in the data processing and for that the ecc RAM is very special.

Like u say that u don't want use it for critical task the non-ecc is enough because the ecc RAM is more expensive.

For the PSU all depends of the components that u want install with the mobo and CPU. RAID? Network card?.
m
l
June 7, 2010 11:23:59 AM

Thank you guys for the reply.
I did assemble the components and have no issues.. works great!!!!
m
l
a c 304 V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 7:07:39 PM

Any time that's why we are here. If u need more help in the future come back to the forum.
m
l
!