beau00125

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
Hi everyone! I am getting ready to build a new PC for my son. He does industrial design and needs a fast PC....can you give me your All Madden (dream team) of a machine? Thanks,

CA

Well, it depends on how much you want to spend. What is your budget? In terms of CPU's, if you can afford it, a "dream cpu" would probably be an i7-965 or i7-975. You could wait until March if you want to spend over a grand on the new i7-980x (Gulftown), a six core monster.

Well, it really depends on what he's doing and what he's running. About the only thing that would really be useful in any case would be to get two nice large monitors- something in the 20-24" range with a resolution of at least 1920x1080. The rest depends on his particular usage. If he is doing a lot of heavy rendering and visualization with programs that cost as much as a nice car, I'd suggest a nice dual-socket workstation with a professional OpenGL video card. That will probably run somewhere north of three grand. If he's doing typical CAD stuff that's routinely done in college, just about any remotely modern computer will work.

beau00125

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

Hi, Thanks for your answers......The monitors are all set...he also uses a Cintiq .....programs used are Rhino, Alias, Solidworks, Flamingo....and other similar ones....and of course AI CS3 and such.

The biggest problem I see right now is the amount of time to get a really fast render.....it sounds like the I7 is the direction to go....I don't want to build a Cray computer....and would like to stay in the $2Grand range.....The I just had to replace the Graphics card ....and put in a GeForce 1GB type PCI-e type....works well....

Thanks,

Carl