Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Issues with computer randomly restarting, help please?

Last response: in Motherboards
Share
June 3, 2010 4:12:15 AM

So, first off, I'll start with the obligatory "I'm new here!" thing.. So, yeah, I'm new here! My friend suggested I come here and tick off what's going on, said you guys here at Toms would be able to help out better than he would. So, now that I got that out of the way, I'll just dive right into it and get it done with..

Recently within the last week and a half or so, my computer started randomly restarting. I don't get any sort of error messages or anything from my computer when it happens, but I do get the whole "How do you want to start Windows" message when the computer itself is starting up. I'm never doing anything more than playing World of Warcraft, having a Firefox window up and listening to music using Winamp. The friend who I spoke to had me take the siding off the case and feel the onboard graphics card (Haven't gotten around to change it yet) to see if it was hot or not. It felt hotter than I think it should, it was hotter than the PSU felt to touch. I have changed the PSU from the factory installed one, but that's the only sort of mod I have done on the computer. Asus Essentio CM5570 is the model of the machine I have, and I put this PSU in.

Now, my friend thinks the issue could either be a CPU or a motherboard issue. While doing all this, I've been running an OCCT test, it's been running for almost the full hour now on a Large Data Set test to see if it is any sort of overheating issue, and I haven't had anything happen at all, so I can assume that it's not overheating? Not completely sure, though, which is why I'm here.

Screenshot of my GPU
Screenshot of my mainboard
Screenshot of my memory

I have Windows 7, and if you need any other sort of specs besides the screenshots above and the fact that I'm running Windows 7, just let me know please! I really really appreciate any sort of help I receive! If I'm posting in the wrong area just let me know please!
June 3, 2010 4:49:35 AM

There might be some virus attack to your system check out the drive for any infection.
m
0
l
June 3, 2010 4:55:59 AM

Microsoft Security Essentials says there's nothing threatening. I don't do any sort of questionable web browsing, and I do understand that viruses do come from other sources besides malicious web pages but I am still unsure as to where it could have come from (The virus, that is, if there is one). I pretty much stick to select web pages and things that I find through stumble. I do weekly scans with MSE as well.
m
0
l
Related resources
June 4, 2010 4:36:22 AM

DO you use pen drives some equipments like that even it is a source of virus attack.
m
0
l
June 5, 2010 1:33:04 AM

Pen drives? I don't know what exactly you mean by a pen drive.. Do you mean a usb drive? Because if so, I every so often use a flash drive to transfer files to my external HDD.
m
0
l
June 5, 2010 11:06:30 PM

Try scanning your USB drives + HDD for viruses. It could be heating issues. For example, on my BIOS there is an option for auto shutoff at certain temperatures to prevent hardware damage. To check your temperature you could use Everest or SIW. You can also run WOW in non-full screen mode (don't know the exact term for it lol) and keep SIW open on the side and see what happens as you go. If temperatures go up and your computer restarts it could be that that's the issue. It's the only thing i can think of if it's not a virus...that or hdd failure. I once had a hdd fail and my computer would also randomly restart after getting a blue screen flash...
m
0
l
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2010 12:04:30 AM

Shutting down like that is usually a sign of insufficient power to keep the system running -- most other things would cause a lockup of the system instead of a complete shut down -- What make and model PSU did you put in there?
m
0
l
June 6, 2010 1:08:08 AM

JDFan said:
Shutting down like that is usually a sign of insufficient power to keep the system running -- most other things would cause a lockup of the system instead of a complete shut down -- What make and model PSU did you put in there?


I have an Antec Earthwatts EA650 650W PSU

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
That one right there.

The friend that I was talking to about that suggested me coming here said he has the same one and that it works well. Dunno
m
0
l
June 6, 2010 1:18:16 AM

iedgar10 said:
Try scanning your USB drives + HDD for viruses. It could be heating issues. For example, on my BIOS there is an option for auto shutoff at certain temperatures to prevent hardware damage. To check your temperature you could use Everest or SIW. You can also run WOW in non-full screen mode (don't know the exact term for it lol) and keep SIW open on the side and see what happens as you go. If temperatures go up and your computer restarts it could be that that's the issue. It's the only thing i can think of if it's not a virus...that or hdd failure. I once had a hdd fail and my computer would also randomly restart after getting a blue screen flash...


I'm sorry but how exactly do you go about checking the flash drive and the HDD for viruses? I don't really have much idea on how to go about doing that. Would I basically have them plugged in and find a way to scan them through Microsoft Security Essentials?

I know that when I'm running WoW that generally speaking my video card (What I think is my video card) temp stays at around 100C. I have CPUID Hardware Monitor and it does list the temp and the max that it has ever gone is 100C and it kinda hangs around that temperature while playing WoW.

By HDD failure do you mean that it just stops working for a little or that it breaks? Because the external works just fine for the most part, I use it between two different computers and my PS3 to listen to music and watch movies and TV shows. I haven't had any sort of issue with it that I've noticed, no interuptions in anything except on the occassions when the computer restarts itself. I never had any sort of blue screen flash or anything. Beyond the few times that I had the BSoD a while ago before I switched the PSU, I have never encountered it. The BSoD hasn't happen for over a month and a half or so, so I'm assuming that whatever was causing that issue isn't happening anymore.
m
0
l
June 7, 2010 4:45:57 AM

Ya exactly i mean usb drives this are the direct cause for virus other then malicious web pages.
m
0
l
June 7, 2010 5:17:49 AM

cisco sfp said:
Ya exactly i mean usb drives this are the direct cause for virus other then malicious web pages.


As I said in a previous post, I really have no idea how I would go about doing a virus scan on my USB drive or my external HDD. If there is a specific way to target them when you're doing a scan, I don't see it when I'm looking at MSE.
m
0
l
June 8, 2010 4:54:36 AM

When you use an usb drive first thing you need to do before you explore the drive, scan for the virus with the anti virus you have and remove the infected file if you find any.
m
0
l
June 9, 2010 5:17:54 AM

i hope you got the answer you needed.
m
0
l
June 10, 2010 6:02:50 PM

Teniko said:

I know that when I'm running WoW that generally speaking my video card (What I think is my video card) temp stays at around 100C. I have CPUID Hardware Monitor and it does list the temp and the max that it has ever gone is 100C and it kinda hangs around that temperature while playing WoW.


ouch!!!!! 100C does seem high to me, a component over heating would cause restarts, do the restarts happen completely randomly or do they kick in after u've spent a while on the pc??? next time your pc restarts on you randomly, enter the bios striaght away, find your "hardware monitor" or sumthing along those lines, and post back your CPU temp and motherboard temp, also its worth checking your voltages, they should be fairly stable and not jump more than say 0.5v at a time anthing drastically over that sort of jump in voltages could be a PSU issue

hope that helps :D 
m
0
l
June 10, 2010 6:13:18 PM

If I were you, I'd download Unigine heaven 2.x benchmark and run that. Just let it play its graphics... If it restarts then its probably the graphics overheating

Download prime95 and run that. If it reboots while running prime95 then its more likely something else.

Prime95 makes the CPU hottest
Heaven benchmark makes the GPU the hottest

OCCT stress test on graphics is too insane and there is no limitation on it so I don't recommend that one for the GPU

Otherwise, CCleaner is pretty solid in fixing registery, cleaning temp files, and checking installed programs. If you see things that are installed that don't look like they should be there.. feel free to ask on here about those programs. CCleaner might not fix your rebooting problems but it's still good to have for maintenance and revitalizing your PC health.
m
0
l
June 14, 2010 6:55:46 PM

First off, I know it's been a few days since I stopped by and updated anything, but I'm glad that i checked back today.. Just had three restarts right in a row! Maybe this will help point towards the problem.. I just recently installed Defraggler and have been trying to run it, and all three times I've tried, my computer restarted. First time I had started defraggler and started up World of Warcraft, and I had a Firefox window up and WinAMP. Restart ensued, AND my computer checked my C drive for errors or something like that. Black screen, three steps, lots of things I didn't recognize. Second time I was just running Firefox and WinAMP when it restarted after I started up Defraggler, and then third time I wasn't doing anything besides defraggler and it restarted. Decided to come here and check what's up, glad to see a few more responses. I stopped getting emails that I had received responses so I assumed that my thread died.




Blckhaze said:
If I were you, I'd download Unigine heaven 2.x benchmark and run that. Just let it play its graphics... If it restarts then its probably the graphics overheating

Download prime95 and run that. If it reboots while running prime95 then its more likely something else.

Prime95 makes the CPU hottest
Heaven benchmark makes the GPU the hottest

OCCT stress test on graphics is too insane and there is no limitation on it so I don't recommend that one for the GPU

Otherwise, CCleaner is pretty solid in fixing registery, cleaning temp files, and checking installed programs. If you see things that are installed that don't look like they should be there.. feel free to ask on here about those programs. CCleaner might not fix your rebooting problems but it's still good to have for maintenance and revitalizing your PC health.


I'm downloading Heaven Benchmark now and Prime95. Well, already finished Prime95, but I want to run HB first.
I hear of people running Prime95 for like, 12 hours at a time? I dunno, should I do something like that? Run it for an insane amount of time and just let the PC sit there?

I already use CCLeaner to keep everything tidied up, which was why I actually went to get defraggler.. Seems like my computer doesn't like it too too much, though :\
m
0
l
June 15, 2010 12:53:08 PM

Well I think it is the program defraggler I had the same problem with Uniblue registry cleaner. For some reason Win 7 doesn't play nice with some software, try NOT using that program(disable it) and let me know what happens. Also in my opinion don't run prime for more than 8hrs normal everyday computers don't go through that kind of stress. I usually only run prime95 for four hours myself and my computer is very stable.
I Really think it's Defraggler though. As far as disk defragging Win 7 does like Diskeeper 2009 though it runs in the background and keeps your drives defragged that's what I use.
m
0
l
June 15, 2010 2:17:39 PM

I ran into another occurrence of my computer restarting itself over and over within a short amount of time. I was trying to watch a video on 1UP dealing with E3, but every time the video started up the computer would restart itself. I did it three different times to see if it would restart each time, and as expected it did.


In other news, I finished both a Prime95 and Heaven Benchmark tests, and I didn't see anything.. Besides the fact that I only got, on average, 1.5-2 FPS during Heaven, I don't think there was anything wrong. It went through the whole thing once and didn't restart or crash my system.
I ran Prime95 overnight last night because I read that doing things while Prime95 is running actually negatively impacts the results, and I didn't run into any sort of issues with Prime95, either. I even screenshotted it,
as can be seen here.

Now I'm really starting to think there is some sort of sneaky virus on my system, but I have no idea where it would be or how it's getting around my scans :( 
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 2:16:13 AM

Look at my post again(above). But you can always do Kaspernsky online virus scan and there are other VERY reliable online virus scans. Just google it to find others BUT ONLY use Reputable ones! I think ESET also has an online scanner in my opinion the BEST computer security out there!
Also are ALL your drivers UP to DATE??? Don't run anything else, then run defraggler(I bet your system restarts) Like I had said I had a similar problem with Uniblue registry cleaner so I stopped using it and now NO restart problem at all.
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 3:57:11 AM

I don't ever have Defraggler running except for those three times that I tried it, so I don't see how that would cause any sort of restarts besides the three I mentioned. I'm running the regular defrag program that comes with Win7 and there's no sort of issues that I'm running into.
I'll double-check on my drivers being up to date, too, and I'll report back any new predicaments or positive things that happen.


EDIT: Ran into a new issue.. Went to update my drivers from the Asus website, and I get the following error message:
Does not support this Operating System: WNT_6.0H_64_MCE
Don't know what to do now :|

When I go to the Device Manager and update from there it tells me that everything is up to date, though. I dunno..

Further edit: Can watch Youtube videos fine, computer still restarting when attempting to watch videos dealing with E3 from 1up.com
Also, I deleted Defraggler from my system.
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 11:37:51 AM

Sounds like your bios or your motherboard doesn't support Win7. Exactly what board do you have and bios version?
Here is the link for the downloads for your board using Win7 x64bit os. So they do support win7.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelnam...
Check out the chip set , bios and VGA Driver downloads see if you are using these.
Let me know if this info helps.
What is WNT_6.0H_64_MCE? Is this windowsNTx64?
m
0
l
June 16, 2010 4:35:06 PM

BorNej said:
Sounds like your bios or your motherboard doesn't support Win7. Exactly what board do you have and bios version?
Here is the link for the downloads for your board using Win7 x64bit os. So they do support win7.

http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?modelnam...
Check out the chip set , bios and VGA Driver downloads see if you are using these.
Let me know if this info helps.
What is WNT_6.0H_64_MCE? Is this windowsNTx64?



Every time I try to update the drivers from the asus website, it tells me that. I googled around, and what I found was that WNT_6.0H..... equals out to be Vista64. When I got my Win7 update I THOUGHT I did a clean restore.. Could it have been I did something wrong somehow, and still have remnants of WinVista on my computer still?

SS of Computer Properties, says Windows 7 64 Bit
m
0
l
June 17, 2010 5:23:37 PM

I did follow the link.. as I said, I get that error message every time I try to update from the asus website, for all the drivers.
m
0
l
June 18, 2010 11:44:27 AM

When you click on the link a box pops up and tells you to select your os I can select any os and download any drivers for any os, Why can't you???
m
0
l
June 18, 2010 11:45:46 AM

Well I am at a loss, I think you should try and call Asus or e mail them and let them know what is going on. because if you can not up date that's a big problem. The only other thing I can think of is do a fresh install of windows then download all the latest drivers. But I really don't under stand I can even down load all the drivers for your board. I have the Asus rampage II gene so really you shouldn't have this problem.
m
0
l
June 18, 2010 1:23:08 PM

BorNej said:
When you click on the link a box pops up and tells you to select your os I can select any os and download any drivers for any os, Why can't you???


Yes, the window comes up to select my OS, but as I said I have Win7 64, but my computer is giving me that error message when I try to get any of those driver updates for Win7 64
m
0
l
June 18, 2010 7:27:00 PM

See my previous post contact Asus support. SORRY I couldn't be of more help. 1-888-678-3688 I think is the # for Asus support.
Also try going to windows update. But I think it's related to your graphics card or drivers is the card you have in your system supported??
m
0
l
!