Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Computer won't pick up video card

Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2009 6:57:34 AM

Got my new computer up and running. All is good expect it wont pick up my XFX 5870 video card... im at the windows 7 desktop, but it says it using the onboad video... the video card in my case is getting power and the fan is blowing. its in the first x16 PCI slot too.. how do I get it to use my video card?

Here is my build:
My build
November 26, 2009 7:05:16 AM

I really need some help guys.. im so close yet so far! After I get this problem fixed I'll have finally completed my new build! Its driving me crazy!
m
l
November 26, 2009 7:05:35 AM

what motherboard have you got?

unfortunately it sounds like a duff graphics card.
m
l
Related resources
November 26, 2009 7:08:02 AM

Asus 1156 pro

The card IS running, its getting power, and fans are on.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2009 7:17:14 AM

^ Did you check in the BIOS whether the onboard is disabled(Actually it should disable it automatically when a graphic card is populated but sometimes it might not)?
What PSU do you have ? And have you connected 2 6-PIn power connector to the card?
m
l
November 26, 2009 7:18:33 AM

I have an Antec tru power 750w PSU... and the video card is connected with 2 6-pin connectors... I'm looking in the bios, I dont know how to see an option to disable the onboard video...

Also, it won't boot my XFX video card CD that came with the drivers.. which is weird. I know the drive works because it booted and installed windows.
m
l
November 26, 2009 7:19:55 AM

This is my whole build here.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2009 7:42:52 AM

^ I made such a big blunder...
The P55 boards dont come with onboard video...
So the display is coming from the graphics card only...
And how did you come to a conclusion that the WIN is using onboard video ?
m
l

Best solution

November 26, 2009 7:43:31 AM

go to the ATI website and download newest drivers. install them.
a b U Graphics card
November 26, 2009 7:55:22 AM

^ +1...
Download the latest drivers from the ATI site...
And just check in the Device Manager, under the display adapter if it is giving any model number of the display card?
m
l
November 26, 2009 2:51:27 PM

I'll try tonight to check and see if it lists it in the device manager.. then download the lastest drivers(if it even shows up).. went to bed last night since it was so late. Going to Thanksgiving now then off to work 3pm-11pm... so I won't be able to try until later tonight.. then I'll have to fight off sleep dep while I work on it.
m
l
November 26, 2009 3:39:53 PM

good luck!
m
l
November 26, 2009 6:14:43 PM

Is this a common problem? Kinda has me worried.. Everything was going so well too, it booted on first try, which was amazing. I installed windows. Checked out my temp for my CPU, it was 26c, and ran at the standard 2.8, and the RAM was perfect 4 gig running at stock 7-7-7-24 @ 1.6v..

I found out my video card wasnt working when I went to systemrequirements labs.. its a site that tell you if you can run a game or not. And I passed all except for failing to meet requirements with my video card... it said I had asus sysbios or w/e.. dont remember exactly.. and I noticed my montior is LOW RES and I cant get it to go to 1080p.. And like I said before, the XFX 5870 is running, the fans are blowing and its connected with 2 6-pin connectors..

But I will check out the device manager when I get home... and try to install drivers...

If anyone has any other ideas on how to fix this, please let me know!
m
l
November 26, 2009 6:23:34 PM

Try the latest Vista drivers from AMD/ATi site.
m
l
November 26, 2009 8:38:29 PM

(not home yet)Also I should note that I haven't updated any drivers yet. Not the motherboard or anything. Also haven't got any window updates yet... would any of those make a difference either?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 27, 2009 1:55:39 AM

^ Yes that might have an effect...
m
l
November 27, 2009 3:42:29 AM

I updated the video card drivers and everything works fine now! Monitor is now at 1080p and everything is looks amazing! Thanks for the help guys! I'm off to play some Dragon Age: Origins now!
m
l
November 27, 2009 6:09:45 AM

That's because MS removed a lot of native support for drivers in Win7 to shave some space from the DVD..
BTW if anyone need a driver for a not working device NEVER use Win update.. Their X1400 drivers made me serious problems.. Always use those from the mf website or don't use the device!
m
l
!