Switch On Problem

Davezos

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
When I switch on my PC, the processor heat sink rotates for around 30 seconds and then turns off automatically. After 5 seconds, it will turn on automatically and I will get a display on my monitor only after it turns on for the second time. I cannot seem to find as to what the problem is. Does anyone know what is the reason for this please?

Davezos

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

I tried with a different smps and the same problem happened. I even removed the motherboard from the cabinet and tried. Same thing happened.

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007
remove the video card, unplug the ram and try switching it on with nothing but the processor connected.

if that failes then either the chip or the mobo has packed up.

300 watts is still to low though , a 400w is really the lowest you should go on this one...

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

everything appart from the processor.. its a process of elimination

if the board keeps the fan spinning with the chip only, switch it off then try the ram ( use one ram module at a time ) if the first dont work unplug it and put in the second..

and so on.

daship

Distinguished
Its your power supply, It must not be keeping the capacitors charged, therefore the first turn on charges em and then the restart boots up.

Happens every time capacitors need charged.

Go out and buy a 400 watt name brand trusted PSU.

The motherboard might not be made still, but it don't mean it wasn't new in the box on a shelf somewhere.

Davezos

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010

To help me understand, please do you mean the capacitor of the Power supply itself?

Hellboy

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2007

a capacitor is like a water tank which stores water and disperses when required and then keeps at a constant charge it also smooths the power ( high end stereo equipment use very fined tuned capacitors which cost a lot and smooth out interference on sound ). A faulty capacitor is like a tank with a leak which doesnt provide the constant flow..

most case equipped power supplies are light weight and cheap.

a heavy power supply is a sign of quality as the heatsinks on the voltage regulators ( which is the weight ) keeps the components cool

look at the powersupply as a heart in your body which pumps blood around your body - the stronger the better.