Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Noob needs help!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
November 30, 2009 1:36:35 AM

Hi,

Total noob here. I was wondering if anyone could help me out. I'm trying to upgrade my video card and don't know what's compatible. I have an HP Pavilion a1610n with the standard specs except I have the 4200+ dual core with 4 GB of RAM and an nVidia 6600 video card. The standard specs are here:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c00...

I would prefer to stay with nVidia and was thinking about a 9800 series. Will these run on my system? I also know that I will need to upgrade the 300 watt power supply and again don't have a clue what I would need and what would be compatible. If anyone can help I would greatly appreciate it. If you need any additional info please let me know.

Thanks,

Mark

More about : noob

Best solution

a c 1406 U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 1:56:53 AM

the 9800 will run on your system. Check your psu for amps on the +12 volt rail it should be on a sticker on the psu itself. Those cards need between 24 and 26 amps on the 12 volt rail. Another good option would be ATI HD4670 and will definitely run on your psu.
Share
November 30, 2009 1:58:03 AM

first of all do you have a pci express port for a video card?
if yes then go for ati 4850 or nvidea 9600gt, and for power supply about 550w atx
m
0
l
Related resources
November 30, 2009 2:33:22 AM

Thanks guys for the info. I figured my system would run a 9800 but what about this?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

I would then definitely upgrade the power supply. Would this power supply work with my system?

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35456&promoi...

I am in Canada so shipping would be cheaper from these sites. Both have sales that are about to end but I won't order if I don't know that they will work with my system.

To answer your question crazy359 I do have a PCI express slot for a video card. That is where the 6600 is now. I do prefer nVidia as I've never had a problem but I have had issues with ATI cards (whose headquarters is just down the street from me).

Thanks so much,

Mark
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 1:32:54 AM

The thing is ATI use to be very bad so most people are saying they had bad experiences with them. Now i think they are better, their drivers are amazing. But Nvidia is good too.

Ok now i would go for another brand for your video card, like ZOTAC or w.e, and yea psu is fine
m
0
l
December 2, 2009 1:43:23 AM

I know ATI probably isn't as bad as they used to be. I guess I'm just used to nVidia. I ordered and received a new PSU that I will install on the weekend. As far as video cards I'm leaning towards a 250 GTS as anything more powerful would be throttled by my CPU. I'm seeing some in the $130-150 range. I'm hoping that towards Christmas either prices will come down or there will be a rebate offer. I'm not that panicked and can wait a few weeks.

Thanks,

Mark


crazy359 said:
The thing is ATI use to be very bad so most people are saying they had bad experiences with them. Now i think they are better, their drivers are amazing. But Nvidia is good too.

Ok now i would go for another brand for your video card, like ZOTAC or w.e, and yea psu is fine

m
0
l
a c 1406 U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 8:06:05 PM

newmanm said:
Thanks guys for the info. I figured my system would run a 9800 but what about this?

http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/SearchTools/item...

I would then definitely upgrade the power supply. Would this power supply work with my system?

http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php?sku=35456&promoi...

I am in Canada so shipping would be cheaper from these sites. Both have sales that are about to end but I won't order if I don't know that they will work with my system.

To answer your question crazy359 I do have a PCI express slot for a video card. That is where the 6600 is now. I do prefer nVidia as I've never had a problem but I have had issues with ATI cards (whose headquarters is just down the street from me).

Thanks so much,

Mark

Both will work fine in your system
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 8:12:42 PM

newmanm said:
I know ATI probably isn't as bad as they used to be. I guess I'm just used to nVidia. I ordered and received a new PSU that I will install on the weekend. As far as video cards I'm leaning towards a 250 GTS as anything more powerful would be throttled by my CPU. I'm seeing some in the $130-150 range. I'm hoping that towards Christmas either prices will come down or there will be a rebate offer. I'm not that panicked and can wait a few weeks.

Thanks,

Mark


As far as Nvidia goes, the 250 would be a good match for your system. To be fair, that price could get you a DX11 5750, if DX11 is something of concern to you.
m
0
l
a c 1406 U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 8:15:19 PM

JofaMang said:
As far as Nvidia goes, the 250 would be a good match for your system. To be fair, that price could get you a DX11 5750, if DX11 is something of concern to you.

Don´t forget he is in Canada
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
December 2, 2009 8:18:43 PM

rolli59 said:
Don´t forget he is in Canada

On newegg.ca, the price difference between the cheapest 250 and the cheapest 5750 is less than $10.
m
0
l
December 3, 2009 1:16:31 AM

Thanks guys I am leaning towards a 250. Right now the cheapest I've seen is about $130 CDN. I'm hoping that as it gets nearer to Christmas that I will be able to get a better deal. I'm not in a panic to I can afford to wait a bit and see what happens with prices.

Thanks,

Mark
m
0
l
December 3, 2009 9:15:12 PM

just do some detailed research with the 250 against the 4850 or something like that see what is best bang for your buk.......is it like 120 ur lookin for?
m
0
l
December 3, 2009 10:46:39 PM

Yes, around $120 would be acceptable although again not being in a hurry allows me to wait and see if there are any Christmas deals to be had. I'll look into the 4850 vs. the 250.

Thanks.


crazy359 said:
just do some detailed research with the 250 against the 4850 or something like that see what is best bang for your buk.......is it like 120 ur lookin for?


m
0
l
!