NEW ASUS M4A78-EM, New PSU Corsair TX650W& New CPU AMD Phenom II X4 965 Will

Tags:
  • New Build
  • Boot
  • CPUs
  • Systems
Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2009 10:21:54 AM

Hello everyone I have a boot problem that I just can't solvers mobo is booting seemingly perfectly.

2. Heat sink fan spinning indicate a CPU boot.
-all fans are spining
-general 'hard-drive working' noises

However there is NO post, or recognizable graphical output to my monitor. Either from the video card-GE Force 9600 GSO
Or with the on-board video out option.
Test 1-Breadbox test,=nothing works with everything installed and no boot screen.
Test 2-Breadbox test with only the PSU,CPU Heat sink and no memory installed,=Power up all fans run correct beep codes for no memory installed.
Test 3-Added memory to slot A1,=all power up, but no beep codes and no boot screen
Test 4-Change out stick of Ram and tried different ones in same slot,= exact same result for every memory stick;full power up, no beeps and no Boot screen
Test 5- Installed Video card and repeated process,= same results no beep codes and no boot screen
Test 6- Reset CMOS and power cycled the power button,(tried another power button to make sure it was not that)removed battery with power cable disconnected and waited 10 minutes,=1 stick of ram installed and same results(no boot,no beep,no video,but everything powers up,ie. fans and heat sink and sounds of HD activity.
Conclusion, bad memory? Please also note this is a second new Mobo and CPU, 1st had same issues, the only consistent similarity would be the sticks of ram. Any other suggestions or agreements to my conclusion would be very much appreciated,
thank you for your time and assistance

More about : asus m4a78 psu corsair tx650w cpu amd phenom 965

a b à CPUs
November 26, 2009 10:28:21 AM

^ Did you try placing the RAM sticks in different slots apart from A1 ? I know you would have to populate the slot 1 if you install only 1 stick...but still...
m
l
November 26, 2009 10:36:05 AM

I have 4 sticks of 2gb ram DDR2KVR667D2, all worked fine in previous build. I just tried each stick in each slot, A1 B1 A2 B2 and still only power up, no boot screen and no beep
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2009 10:53:41 AM

^ Could you list the TDP of that 965 ? Is it the 140W TDP/ 125W TDP ?
Your mobo cannot handle the 140W version...
So maybe the mobo is not able to supply enough power to the CPU to work properly...
m
l
November 26, 2009 11:01:45 AM

it is the black edition, the mobo and processor were bought together at microcenter, with this setup being the ultimate end combination. I found the TDP is 125w on the processor/ but this mobo is supposed to be for this processor
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2009 11:06:03 AM

^ You would have to make sure about that though...
Like I said that mobo only supports the 125W TDP CPU and not the 140W TDP CPU...
And even though you got it as a combo, it not for sure that they would work together...I have seen combos like an AM3 mobo(DDR3) + DDR2 RAM combos...
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2009 11:09:27 AM

^Dint refresh...
If its a 125W CPU, then your mobo should support that...So finally it comes to the RAM...but still 4 sticks going bad altogether...
m
l
November 26, 2009 11:12:23 AM

It seems impossible, but the other system did have a heat issue and inevitably died from too much heat. Could the heat issues from the previous build that caused the PSU and MOBO to die, also have caused the ram to have malfunctioned and die?
m
l
November 26, 2009 11:23:09 AM

I did go through the checklist, and used the site reference guides as my way of checking everything. I did go through and mod the case to allow for better air flow and cooling. I am going to go check the ram in another machine now and will report back momentarily. Thank you for all the responses and assistance thus far
m
l
November 26, 2009 11:35:12 AM

Well I do not have another pc to check this ram in, I did find an extra stick of DDR2 and tried the same tests with the same results. It could possibly be a DOA board; this would be the 2nd in the last 3 days. What do you think?
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2009 11:43:18 AM

^ I did have a doubt because for all the sticks to go bad is nearly impossble...
And when you RMA the mobo, sometimes they tend to give the same board back to you...So go ahead with RMA...
RMA the board and CPU separately so that you could confirm which one has the problem...the CPU unlikely would arrive DOA but still...
m
l
a b à CPUs
November 26, 2009 11:45:31 AM

And lastly just a confirmation...have you connected the 4-pin CPU power that separately connects to the mobo ?
m
l
November 26, 2009 11:49:17 AM

yes I have the 4 pin power cable connected; I will have to go back to micro center and return it tomorrow
m
l
November 26, 2009 12:12:00 PM

The other MOBO was a completely different brand/model as well as the processor was different. Which is why I am still leaning towards the ram being fried like the other components were. Any thoughts on that
m
l
December 1, 2009 2:54:13 PM

If you bought all the components at Microcenter, see if they will post the CPU and MOBO together before you leave the store this time. They owe you that for the multiple RMAs.

Also, if it won't post there, you may need a BIOS update for your CPU. You may need to use an older CPU to update the BIOS to support the 965.
m
l
!