Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Fans are expensive

Last response: in Overclocking
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2012 8:12:51 AM

Hrmmm, so its getting to be summer here and the weather in Vegas is terribly hot (45c ambient is average outside temp) so we try not to use the AC much (cooling a 45c house gets expensive 24/7). My pc isn't terribly loud but it does get a bit annoying when I have my headphones off or when I use my speakers. Even though I can hear the family pc over mine (old celeron D, 99% chance thermal paste needs re applied since it most likely dried up, they won't let me touch it) (mines about 50ft away, living room to bedroom distance)

So im using a stock haf912 with all the stock fans except an additional one in the front. (green apevia fan I picked up for like 3 bucks to fill the spot) With an athlon 2 x3 (not overclocked or unlocked, don't wanna risk breaking this crappy mobo over a few frames) and a 6870 Twin Frozr 2. (Another main reason im thinking of grabbing a few fans is because it gets to around 80c, and its not even fully summer yet)

So naturally I was thinking of grabbing some fans. So I went searching for fans that met my needs (low noise + higher than stock fan CFM)

The only fans I could seem to find appealing were the Cougar 120mm fans for around 14 bucks (I want a few so spending 40+ dollars on just 3 fans seems a bit expensive)

Of course I could grab some Yate Loons but they won't be much better.

So, Budget conscious people, what would you do?

(Heatsink is a hyper 212 EVO btw)

More about : fans expensive

a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2012 8:45:00 AM

You can always search a scrapyard (don't know if it's the correct name) and take fans off old computers. With some luck you might get a few good ones
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2012 9:48:28 AM

akxpckwb said:
You can always search a scrapyard (don't know if it's the correct name) and take fans off old computers. With some luck you might get a few good ones

Hah I never thought of that. Its an interesting idea.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a c 190 K Overclocking
May 3, 2012 6:20:04 PM

Theres a fan roundup sticky at the top of the Cpu components section
but I think you should man up and go for a crazy W/c setup :) 
put some rads into a coolerbox and bury the sucker about 5 feet down where its nice and cool, and that should give you some nice cool temps at a quiet volume
Moto
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2012 7:01:24 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Theres a fan roundup sticky at the top of the Cpu components section
but I think you should man up and go for a crazy W/c setup :) 
put some rads into a coolerbox and bury the sucker about 5 feet down where its nice and cool, and that should give you some nice cool temps at a quiet volume
Moto

Hmmm, I took a look at that. There are quite a lot of good fans out there

Its making me want to grab a silenx fan instead because of the good restricted airflow

My fans right now aren't pushing any detectable air, The only air I can feel moving is from my Hyper212 EVO's stock fan (which when I stop it the back fan doesn't seem to be pushing any air even with my hand 1cm away almost touching the blades)

And yeah moto I'm starting to think LN or Geothermal cooling is the only way~

If anyone out there is reading this and thinking of making a guide for choosing fans. I want to see how drastically case fans can change temperatures, along with other variable such as air filters.

Edit: (When I say I can feel the air from my 212 evo its at the back outside of the case where my exhaust fan is.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2012 8:44:31 AM

Best answer selected by mouse24.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2012 8:45:11 AM

Realized I never answered this thread. decided to go with 3x Yate Loons... now its sucking up random guff in my carpet.
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 3, 2012 9:04:13 AM

you can sit the Pc on top of a sheet of wood to keep it off the carpet, or extend the feet even, don't have it just sat on the carpet though man, unless you want to clean it out every week :) 
Thank you for B.a. as well man, glad to help
Moto
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 3, 2012 12:03:39 PM

Yeah, I'll probably just get a yoga mat or something and put it under it :) 
m
l
!