Sign in with
Your question

GTX 260 vs. HD 4870

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2009 2:24:51 AM

i have been putting together my gaming pc for a while now (due to lack of money) and it is now time for my graphics card. i am not sure which i should go for, the gtx 260 or the hd 4870. both seem to be relatively similar in price, but i am not sure which has the best overclockability, which is most reliable, etc. any help with this would be greatly appreciated. price should be under $200 or so. overclocking room is very important and i do not care about factory memory and core speeds, only how far each one will let me go. also, please give some brands that are the best, such as asus, xfx, sapphire, etc. thanks again.

More about : gtx 260 4870

a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 2:31:13 AM

an XFX 4890 should fall under 200, and would be an easy pick over a 260, whereas the 4870 is a pretty close competitor. I say XFX because of their double lifetime warranty (first and second owners get full lifetime coverage) and pretty good customer service.

4870s were not good overclockers, the best results typically in the 8-12% range on the GPUs. The 4890s, on the other hand, do very well OC'd. For the budget, I would def go for a 4890.

You also have the option of going with a 5770, a slight drop in overall graphics power, but DX11. It could be another valid option.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 2:41:12 AM

Yep, for $200, get a 4890, which rivals the GTX275 in performance.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 2:58:13 AM

HD4890 is a way better choice. And stick to Sapphire. If you can get the Vapor-X one's below $200 then its great!
November 30, 2009 3:14:12 AM

wow, thanks for the prompt replies. i was also wondering if overclockability differed between brands (i.e. asus vs. xfx)? i think i heard that somewhere... also, cooling is another important factor and i was wondering which brands/models have good/bad cooling? thanks.
November 30, 2009 3:37:59 AM

i have looked at that one. i don't really like the fact that it only has one dvi since i like two. the hdmi would be fine but i prefer dvi. also, i was wondering at what level of screen resolution would one notice a considerable (or close to considerable) differnce in gaming when using a 4890 vs. a 4870? i was hoping to try to keep price as low as possible (without sacrificing too much performance).
November 30, 2009 3:38:38 AM

edit: screen resolution and AA.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 3:43:28 AM

XFX would give you some heat problems. Sapphire and Asus are probably the best manufacturer of ATI cards known to mankind.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 3:47:57 AM

4890 will power most titles to 1900x1200 with heavy effects, 1680x1050 with most titles maxed out settings (not counting games like Crysis or GTAIV, notorious resource hogs). The difference between the 4890 and 4870 that is important is that the 4890 will oc great, and it runs cooler than the 4870s, due to basically being a refresh of the 4870, which was the flagship single GPU card until the 4890 came along. Really, you will probably happy with either one unless you are going past 1900x1200 resolution, but the 4890 will allow more shine for the same fps in direct comparison.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 3:49:49 AM

XFX has the best warranties, and good customer service. Sapphire are known to be good cards, bad warranty, even worse Customer service.

If reference designs, it doesn't matter which brand, as they are all the same. When you get to the brands own cooling solutions, that is where some get an advantage. Sapphire has a trick up its sleave with vapor-x and toxic editions of these cards.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 3:54:05 AM

In India, its exactly the opposite! XFX RMA process is a nightmare for buyers, because the distributor sucks big time. It is very common to see XFX owners having many sleepless nights for RMA. Sapphire is much better in that sense here. Asus cards are rarely available and costs a lot more than normal.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 3:58:27 AM

hell_storm2004 said:
In India, its exactly the opposite! XFX RMA process is a nightmare for buyers, because the distributor sucks big time. It is very common to see XFX owners having many sleepless nights for RMA. Sapphire is much better in that sense here. Asus cards are rarely available and costs a lot more than normal.

Great to know. Unless someone has a very poor grasp of english, or using obvious slang, I usually just assume they are in North America. Here (In canada) XFX has been very easy to deal with, but as you have proven, these sort of things change from continent to continent. :D 
!