Sign in with
Your question

[New System Build] Hyper-V Server To Run A Lot of VMs

Last response: in Systems
November 26, 2009 1:34:46 PM

This is my first post @ Tom's... Been reading the site for years just never posted. Let's see how it goes ;) 

I need to put together a barebone box to serve as a host for HyperV server so that I can put on my network and dump in the basement and run many VMs on it. I need to do this at the cheapest cost possible.

So:

Not Important / not needed:
- Performance - well I figured a decent Core 2 Duo or Core 2 Quad should be sufficient as the key factor for me is number of concurrent VMs running on it and not as much how fast they perform
- VGA, Audio - I will be running Hyper-V server (the free one) which does not have graphical UI anyhow so any integrated VGA card will be more than sufficient. Same for sound - i think the Hyper-V server only beeps on error anyways so no big deal if its not in stereo ;-)
- Hard Drives - I have plenty of SATA drives so for now as long as Mboard has RAID support should be oK.
- Peripherals - I have bunch of cases laying around and don't need keybo/mouse/monitor since this box will be sitting in the basement and I can manage it remotely (after initial install).

Important:
- RAM, RAM, RAM - I want to load it up with 16 GB so I can run at least 7 guest OS-es with 2 GB RAM each. Here is where the challenge is as most boards I looked up support 4 GB or 8 GB th the most. I figured DDR3 is out of the question because of price but even DDR2 is hard to find in 4 GB pairs.

I was hoping to spend 400-500 most but looking at the memory prices and what i need I guess I may be dreaming. Another option would be to go with mboard which supports 16 GB and start with 8 GB leaving room for future upgrade.

Essentially I am looking for ideas and recommendations on most cost effective mboard/CPU/memory combination and good place to buy given my requirements and constraints.

My time frame is 1-2 months.

muchas gracias
November 26, 2009 2:13:56 PM

Thanks - i've been Intel fan all my live and never considered AMD but -- wow.. that's a price difference and within my budget. Hmm... What site did you get these prices from? thx again
Related resources
November 26, 2009 2:19:51 PM

NewEgg USA You are welcomed ^^
November 27, 2009 2:27:26 AM

muddude said:
Thanks - i've been Intel fan all my live and never considered AMD but -- wow.. that's a price difference and within my budget. Hmm... What site did you get these prices from? thx again

While 8 GB of memory is relatively inexpensive, 16 GB costs $800: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
!